Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I have had my 2011 RT STP 6 speed for a week or so. I just went out for a quick joy ride. This was the first real time I have gotten on it. I can honestly say its faster, pulls harder and scared the piss out of me. I had an 09 Rt auto prior. There is no doubt stock vs. stock this 2011 has more get up and goooo then my old one. I'm not being biased, just honest. I know the HP is just about the same but it feels totally different. It must be the 6 speed tranny. Has anyone had a similiar experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't had that experience yet, but I am looking forward to it. I actually have not made the purchase yet, but I'm looking at the same model (2011 R/T 6man).

I've only visited three dealers thus far (only one of which even has the 6man), and I've been doing a fair amount of reading, researching, and just playing with numbers. I suppose eventually I will have the confidence to walk in and make an offer, but I've also deliberately tried to curtail my own enthusiasm and exercise patience. It's fairly difficult, but other distractions help. I've told my wife and friends that at this point I'm not sure if it's just desire, or if it's crossed over into outright obsession.

Still, it's great to read about other folks enjoying theirs.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
i honestly cant remember what the 09 auto i test drove before getting my 09 6 speed felt like, but i think they only claim a 1-2 hp difference between the '11s and the other years. probably due to the electric steering and different intake snorkel that rayzazoo brought to our attention.

also, all the 6 speeds are "supposed" to have a few more ponies too, plus a little less parasitic loss.

its probably just the "freedom" experienced with a manual transmission and steeper gearing :browsmiley:

but then again, the autos are the ones turning better times :scratchhead:

BEAUTIFUL color scheme by the way...that looks stunning!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I think you are feeling the differance in the auto and 6 speed. The 6 speed "feels" faster but..............Anyway, when I drive my friends 6 speed it does feel faster than my autos but his ran a 13.9 time to my 13.2 time. :) I had a chance to drive the 2011 auto R/T and it was not any faster than the 2010's. It did feel like it had a better shift feel to it though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Interior Changes for 2011

Ok I have had my 2011 RT STP 6 speed for a week or so. I just went out for a quick joy ride. This was the first real time I have gotten on it. I can honestly say its faster, pulls harder and scared the piss out of me. I had an 09 Rt auto prior. There is no doubt stock vs. stock this 2011 has more get up and goooo then my old one. I'm not being biased, just honest. I know the HP is just about the same but it feels totally different. It must be the 6 speed tranny. Has anyone had a similiar experience.
Not to hijack your thread, but I wanted to get the perspective from someone who had a Pre-2011 car and a 2011 car. Other than the change of steering wheel, are there any significant dash material upgrades for 2011? I read someone that they have used more soft touch materials? Your opinion? Thanks.

·
Registered
2012 R/T w/ STP
71 Posts
Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about the 2011 vs earlier models as well. I'm specifically curious about the suspension. Does anyone have a 2011 with the super track pack they care to comment on? Also, how about a non-STP 2011 suspension compared to the non-STP 2010?

·
Registered
138 Posts
The much improved suspension in the 2011 would definitely account for the more get up and go feeling. I test drove the 2011 and I could definitely feel the improved suspension at work. I'm sure there is a bunch of other subtle changes that all add up to the car feeling faster.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand the concept of having a new vehicle and it having manual tranny making it feel more powerful. Im also aware the auto's seem to be posting quicker times. I'm assuming because of the no fail take offs for the auto. Clutch and the failure of stalling plays havoc on your mind. I'm not trying to say my car is better or faster. It just feels different, not sure if its in my mind or in the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I think this clearly demonstrates that there's so much more to a performance car than just 1/4 mile elapsed times. The perception of speed has a huge impact on the day to day driving experience. Things like exhaust note, handling, gear control, and how connected the driver feels with the car all have an impact on the perception of speed.

That's why I had to have the 6-speed, and waited for the '09! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the changes on the interior are minimal but noticeable. Its not what made the difference. The carbon fiber is a little different, the seats are to me alot more comfortable and the leather seems to be a little softer. Has two new lights in the roof about 3/4 of the way back. It has a cool entry system that does not require the key fob in your hand. You can unlock and lock without ever using the fob. It has an exterior trunk latch that is used the same way. My 2011 actuallly comes with a spare unlike my 2009. Of course the steering wheel is smaller which I like better. The 2011 has volume and channel buttons on the back of the steering wheel which is pretty cool. I dont think my 09 had that. The suspension seems to handle better. Not sure if its because of the super trak pak, I would think so. My exhaust sounds different, throatier, deeper which I like. It comes with the door sills, hood struts, and embroidered challenger mats. Mine also included a free mopar car cover.
No matter your chioce of challenger, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man thats so great to hear that the 6 speed cars are so much fun to drive.

Here there are zero 6 speed cars at our dealer lots to test drive, so i went with it and place my order last saturday. black leather hid STP 20s..

After looking at your picture jcal70 , can you get me a closer picture of the wheels, non at our dealers... and are they goodyear z rated?

Hows the clutch feel? Super heavy like your driving a dump truck, or light and easy like a toyota???

What all options did you get over standard? Do we all get 1 year sirius satelight??? I went with the standard stereo, no touch screen.

BW

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bryan

Yes the tires are Goodyears F1 Z rated. The clutch, the whole car feels like a muscle car but refined if that makes sense. Its smooth, easy, but yet you know you have a beast underneath you. Those wheels I believe are standard on the classic. I believe also Sirrius is standard for a year for all. I have the basic stereo to. Other than the leather I have the normal options for a Rt Classic STP

·
Registered
145 Posts
Bryan

Yes the tires are Goodyears F1 Z rated. The clutch, the whole car feels like a muscle car but refined if that makes sense. Its smooth, easy, but yet you know you have a beast underneath you. Those wheels I believe are standard on the classic. I believe also Sirrius is standard for a year for all. I have the basic stereo to. Other than the leather I have the normal options for a Rt Classic STP
Alright cool man, i appreciate it. I just wasnt sure if the factory base radio came with the sirius radio, the base option list is kinda vague..

Went to a diff dealer today, found a car just like i ordered,... well at least it looks like it on the outside... No stick shift cars here. Off to find splash guards for it.

Take it easy

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's so great to hear how you like your new 2011 Classic! There weren't any 2011 6 speeds around for me to drive before I ordered mine. I drove a 2010 and it felt great so I ordered one. Hopefully I'll get mine in just 4 more weeks.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts