Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Reads as of now but no one has posted how bad the wheel hop is on the new "11 models. Please let us know. Most everything else has been addressed and I am sure most of you new owners have "stood on their new "11 cars by now. Please--how does it compare to the "09 and "10 stick shift cars????????Thank You...

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
"flush the good years"

67 Reads as of now but no one has posted how bad the wheel hop is on the new "11 models. Please let us know. Most everything else has been addressed and I am sure most of you new owners have "stood on their new "11 cars by now. Please--how does it compare to the "09 and "10 stick shift cars????????Thank You...
Magic words... "FLUSH THE GOODYEARS" I Replaced at 10 miles NO MORE WHEEL HOP :)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Still waiting on mine, Im sure somebody will fess up?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I punched mine rolling about 5 MPH and all it did was annihilate the tires until I lifted. No wheel hop at all. I did not dump clutch from a standing start and have no desire to and I suspect many others will feel the same way. Tires, clutch plates, CV joints, and half-shafts are expensive and why beat the new machinery?

I'm sure eventually there will be a growing body of evidence on this issue as plenty of Chally owners do get their manuals to the track for test/tune, but it's pretty early yet. While I can only speak for myself, if I wanted to drag race or bracket race (and I'm a very successful bracket racer) this car, I absolutely would have gotten the automatic instead. If I have to pass on the occasional red light street challenge from some punk in the next lane, well I'm OK with that. :^)

Along this vein though, does anyone run a 2-step in their manual Challenger? They are pretty popular on late-model manual 'Stangs at the strip and would really help a car this heavy consistently launch with a minimum of fuss and drama once the sweet spot was found.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I punched mine rolling about 5 MPH and all it did was annihilate the tires until I lifted. No wheel hop at all. I did not dump clutch from a standing start and have no desire to and I suspect many others will feel the same way. Tires, clutch plates, CV joints, and half-shafts are expensive and why beat the new machinery?

I'm sure eventually there will be a growing body of evidence on this issue as plenty of Chally owners do get their manuals to the track for test/tune, but it's pretty early yet. While I can only speak for myself, if I wanted to drag race or bracket race (and I'm a very successful bracket racer) this car, I absolutely would have gotten the automatic instead. If I have to pass on the occasional red light street challenge from some punk in the next lane, well I'm OK with that. :^)

Along this vein though, does anyone run a 2-step in their manual Challenger? They are pretty popular on late-model manual 'Stangs at the strip and would really help a car this heavy consistently launch with a minimum of fuss and drama once the sweet spot was found.

Great post. When you say "I punched mine rolling about 5 MPH and all it did was annihilate the tires until I lifted"... were you in 1st gear and did you redline? About how long before you lifted and was there a lot of burnout smoke? I ask because I'm of the same caring for this baby's parts mindset as you but my 8 year old NASCAR-loving son has been begging me to do "just one burnout". We really couldn't pull those off very well in my AWD Jeep SRT8 (though stoplight to stoplight, there was not much that could top me in that Beast :browsmiley:)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Great post. When you say "I punched mine rolling about 5 MPH and all it did was annihilate the tires until I lifted"... were you in 1st gear and did you redline? About how long before you lifted and was there a lot of burnout smoke? I ask because I'm of the same caring for this baby's parts mindset as you but my 8 year old NASCAR-loving son has been begging me to do "just one burnout". We really couldn't pull those off very well in my AWD Jeep SRT8 (though stoplight to stoplight, there was not much that could top me in that Beast :browsmiley:)
1st gear, not redline (more like 4500), about 3 seconds, and lots of smoke. The road surface was not sticky and it was cold, so traction was not great. The ESC kicked in (I had not switched it off) and I just lifted. The roads around here really don't lost the winter patina of salt and tiny pebbles until April at least.

Last night on much better roads and with warmer temps I was able to do a few full-throttle 1st gear runs from a rolling start with no traction issues or wheel hop. I did not clutch dump from a dead stop though due to the previously mentioned concerns about beating the machinery.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
None. From a stand still or a roll on. Goodyear RSA's 295 40 20's or the stock 245 45 20's. If you have a 6.1 sell it to someone who doesn't know the difference. Motor, suspension, and brakes are a huge upgrade.

·
Registered
211 Posts
1st gear, not redline (more like 4500), about 3 seconds, and lots of smoke. The road surface was not sticky and it was cold, so traction was not great. The ESC kicked in (I had not switched it off) and I just lifted. The roads around here really don't lost the winter patina of salt and tiny pebbles until April at least.

Last night on much better roads and with warmer temps I was able to do a few full-throttle 1st gear runs from a rolling start with no traction issues or wheel hop. I did not clutch dump from a dead stop though due to the previously mentioned concerns about beating the machinery.
Thanks Heminator. Appreciate the info. Still not at 500 miles yet to even venture a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts