Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/12-challenger-srt8-gets-adaptive-damping-suspension/

"The two-mode system (Sport and Auto) senses a number of vehicle inputs, including vehicle speed, steering angle, brake torque, throttle position and lateral acceleration to tune the suspension’s response characteristics.

Technology sharing will be easier with Gilles' new role as head of the SRT division.
Damping rates are significantly different between the two modes, with minimal changes in ride harshness as well.

Use of the Sport mode may also improve the Challenger’s ability to keep the rear wheels on the road during hard launches, something that is often found challenging when dealing with independent rear suspension cars.

The technology behind the adaptive system was not revealed. Both Cadillac and the Chevrolet Corvette use a “ferrofliud,” whose thickness or viscosity can be changed by altering a magnetic field applied to it. Ride conditions are monitored continually when the vehicle is in operation and damper performance typically adjusted a hundred times per second. Other approaches are possible, though."

So here's one of the official announcements made, although we had indication that this was coming to the Challenger platform.

Let's talk about Active Dampening and the goods vs bads of this and compare against what the aftermarket has to offer (KW Coilover, Pedders, etc). Also, and this might be for the SRT engineers, I wanted to discuss how the technology works. Also, I want to compare this with just doing the 392 camber/tension bar/motor mount swap.

In all, I'm leaning toward the camber/tension/motor mount swap to improve drivability.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Challenger SRT Active Suspension update:

Running change, 2012 model year (and for 2013 models) - ADS is being updated to a three mode ADS system (Auto, Sport and Track). The new Track mode will only be on SRT models with auto transmissions.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Old news, available on R/T's also, mine has it. Makes a little difference in feel and shifting, on cars without STP it would be a bigger difference.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
Running change, 2012 model year (and for 2013 models) - ADS is being updated to a THREE MODE ADS system (Auto, Sport and Track). The new Track mode will only be on SRT models with auto transmissions.
Cuda said:
Old news, available on R/T's also, mine has it. Makes a little difference in feel and shifting, on cars without STP it would be a bigger difference.
Reading is fundamental Cuda. The current ADS is two mode.

·
Registered
297 Posts
i'm 90% i have this on my car, and it just activates in sport mode, that article was written last year.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Thats cool... So the track mode is for "road racing" track or 1/4 mile track?
Ya really, which is it??

In track mode will everything firm up for road racing...
Or will the front shocks go completely limp to help transfer weight at the strip.

?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can imagine if the track mode is for Auto's only it will have something to do with adjusting the shift points a little more otherwise wouldn't it apply to the 6 speed as well?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Reading is fundamental Cuda. The current ADS is two mode.
Yeah, reading is fundamental, the original poster was referring to the two mode system and so was I. Not what Resume Speed was referring too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ya really, which is it??

In track mode will everything firm up for road racing...
Or will the front shocks go completely limp to help transfer weight at the strip.

?
yep just like the old days w/ the shocks and torsion bars adjusted for the quarter mile...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
A Word of Caution...

Maybe we should ask a Vette owner just how expensive repairs are when this system is out of warrenty on their cars before we get too excited.

Ooh, but, wait a minute! We will just trash out our present 392 cars for 426 Hemi models with the Active Suspension option.

What goes :bump: in the night? A Challenger owner trading up to the next best model in the lineup.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
What goes :bump: in the night?
A Challenger owner trading up to the next best model in the lineup.
Not if you can't tune it ! ! ! :flame:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts