Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Challenger just started to shake when idling with AC on. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought the car in October and have had these issues, as well:

Airbag light comes on and off. I know which wire it is but cant find one online. (not fixed)
Car doesn't start some times. Maybe once a month.
Had to change out AC Blend Actuator, located by the glove box, and it makes noises.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
My guesses are either the idle doesn’t bump up for the compressor running or... the compressor is going bad and creating much drag on the pulley.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
If it was the plugs or coil packs it would run rough even with compressor off.
If you have the tools and comfort level you can change it but you’ll still need a shop to charge the system. You’re also going to open the system and expose it to contamination so you might want to get an estimate on cost to have it all done for you.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If it was the plugs or coil packs it would run rough even with compressor off.
If you have the tools and comfort level you can change it but you’ll still need a shop to charge the system. You’re also going to open the system and expose it to contamination so you might want to get an estimate on cost to have it all done for you.
I second this.

Not plugs or coil packs.

OP? What is the battery voltage level at idle with the A/C off vs. on?

If you decide you want to replace the A/C compressor you really should have the system emptied of refrigerant and whatever oil comes out with it before you open the system up.

Then after you install the new compressor have the system checked for leaks, all moisture removed, then the system recharged with proper amount of refrigerant and whatever oil was removed when the system was emptied plus whatever amount of oil was "lost" when the old compressor was removed.

Really you are better off I think having a professional shop do this A/C compressor replacement if (big if) the A/C compressor needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fortunately, my boss's friend is a master mechanic and he took a look at my car. He put my mind at ease when he came by the shop and helped me diagnose any issues.

Original issue: I had been running my ac for 15 mins when parked and idling and the vehicle began to shake somewhat. He said it is really bad to run the ac when the car is idling anyways. He also said, the tension in the belt may be off and is gonna help me tighten or loosen.

However, seems that my harmonic balancer might be bent. I'm gonna clean my engine and reevaluate. He's retired and I'm gonna pay him to show me how to do it.

Still having issues with the wiring under the passenger seat. The airbag light comes off and on intermittently. I can't find the wire I need online to replace. I plan on starting a new thread with pictures of the wire that's causing the light to come off and on. I have read over 20 threads on the subject and nothing seems to be similar to my exact issue.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Fortunately, my boss's friend is a master mechanic and he took a look at my car. He put my mind at ease when he came by the shop and helped me diagnose any issues.

Original issue: I had been running my ac for 15 mins when parked and idling and the vehicle began to shake somewhat. He said it is really bad to run the ac when the car is idling anyways. He also said, the tension in the belt may be off and is gonna help me tighten or loosen.

However, seems that my harmonic balancer might be bent. I'm gonna clean my engine and reevaluate. He's retired and I'm gonna pay him to show me how to do it.

Still having issues with the wiring under the passenger seat. The airbag light comes off and on intermittently. I can't find the wire I need online to replace. I plan on starting a new thread with pictures of the wire that's causing the light to come off and on. I have read over 20 threads on the subject and nothing seems to be similar to my exact issue.
From what I understand the shaking is something that just appeared out of the blue. If running the A/C at idle was bad I would think this behavior would have been present from the outset.

While I can't of course say this is true for all cars, I've run the A/C at idle on every one of my cars since my '88 Tempo and there has never been any problem. The engine ran just fine, no shake, no signs of any distress at all from the fact the A/C was on.

In some cases if the car/cabin is really hot due to the car having sat out in the sun when I start the engine and turn on the A/C the A/C compressor (and radiator fans which come on concurrent with the A/C being turned on) add a bit of load to the engine. I can notice this but the engine's behavior is still quite acceptable, with no shaking or other signs of distress. Just the added load means the engine is having to put out maybe an extra bit of its total rated output. So instead of the engine idling at say at 2% load (say 4.3hp) it idles at a 2.5% load (5.3hp). And this load drops as the cabin cools and the A/C controller -- auto climate control that came with my 2002 Boxster and my 2003 996 Turbo or my more recent cars, a 2018 Mini JCW and a 2018 Challenger Hellcat -- then dials back on the compressor displacement.

Belt tension and belt condition is important. These need to be confirmed all is ok.

A bent harmonic balancer? How did it get bent? You can view balancer and the rest of the accessory drive system as the engine idles and perhaps see a wobble at the balancer or at one of the other accessory drive pulleys or even see some goofy motion at the tensioner roller. Or I watched mechanics use a strobe light to view the accessory drive and adjust the strobe light timing which at some point would really make a wobbly accessory drive pulley or a goofy valve rocker or whatever the tech was looking at really stand out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts