Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this info from a source of mine. This makes me so happy I have been waiting.

2012 Challenger Rallye/RT Plus and Classic/SRT8 Premium sound system:

Harman Kardon
900watts
17 Speakers + sub
12 Channel amplifier

The new Charger SRT8 gets the same, except its 19 speakers.

:)

Sent from my Atrix 4G using AutoGuide.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
That is going to be pretty badass.

·
Super Moderator
17,469 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if Dodge went with 3-way speakers and they're counting each driver as a seperate speaker?

The Kicker refers to 13 (coaxials are actually used) where you have the 6 co-ax speakers plus the 10" trunk sub on the SRT Kicker setup.

I can't imagine there's additional spaces that more drivers could have been used and keep the same interior trim panels as they exist now (2008-2011 models).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if Dodge went with 3-way speakers and they're counting each driver as a seperate speaker?

The Kicker refers to 13 (coaxials are actually used) where you have the 6 co-ax speakers plus the 10" trunk sub on the SRT Kicker setup.

I can't imagine there's additional spaces that more drivers could have been used and keep the same interior trim panels as they exist now (2008-2011 models).

Actually you have five Co-Ax's, the three in the dash and the pair in the package shelf, the doors are just "woofers" and then the sub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am really looking forward to hearing this. Honestly, the RT's premium Boston system sounds GREAT to me, so I can't wait to hear this. This might just be the one things that makes me buy Challenger over Charger. The audiophile in me.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
If you're an audiophile, you should stick with the cheap sound system and then replace everything yourself. Even Dodge's "premium" sound system is still bottom of the barrel stuff as far as audio quality goes. Anything decent after-market will sound an order of magnitude better than what Dodge can afford to put in these cars as part of mass production.

Remember: "lowest bidder"

I am really looking forward to hearing this. Honestly, the RT's premium Boston system sounds GREAT to me, so I can't wait to hear this. This might just be the one things that makes me buy Challenger over Charger. The audiophile in me.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you're an audiophile, you should stick with the cheap sound system and then replace everything yourself.
I have the base sound system in my 2009 R/T.

What would you recommend for a system upgrade? I'm not interested in putting speakers/boxes in the trunk; just looking for improved sound.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
There's no turnkey solution unfortunately. You need to select your speakers, amp, head unit based on what kind of music you listen to, how loud you listen and the features you're interested in for the head unit.

Best bet is to try out some audio stores. Bring your own music and try out the various speaker and amp combos until you find something that both fits your budget and sounds good to your ears.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bose=Bloody Overpriced Stereo Equipment
Lol.
Although I agree, the Bose system in my 07 H2 Lux, that I traded in on the SRT Challenger, was head and shoulders better.

The Kicker system is lacking. I don't mind the head unit, but I think the amp is holding it back. Then again the head unit is limited on adjustment, but with todays digital MP3's and other forums of compresssion, it shouldn't such a huge issues as it was in the past with 8 tracks and tapes.

I'd have to look, but I think the speakers should perform better. Kicker has a pretty good rep for subs, but being mass produced, we could be getting bottom of the barrel. Never really heard about Kickers normal coaxial speakers.

Sound and type of music is so different to each individual. Can't make everyone happy no matter what you do.

Really, who counts speakers that way?? 13... Really??? So the new system. 19?
3 - 2 ways in the dash (6)
2 - 3 ways in the door (6)
2 - 3 ways in the rear deck (6)
1 sub.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you're an audiophile, you should stick with the cheap sound system and then replace everything yourself. Even Dodge's "premium" sound system is still bottom of the barrel stuff as far as audio quality goes. Anything decent after-market will sound an order of magnitude better than what Dodge can afford to put in these cars as part of mass production.

Remember: "lowest bidder"
I have to respectfully disagree. While you can change many things with aftermarket, one thing you can't is the car's profile. I find most decent stock systems to be better tuned to the car its in, rather then a system which was slapped together with components which are all universal.

AskMen.com did rate the Chystler 300 SRT8 with the kicker upgrade #9 out of all the stock audio systems. Check out their results. Some of what they did/find is pretty interesting.

Anyways, I don't want to start a debate. I have had a lot of cars, and have always loved doing my own stereo upgrades. But in the years of late, I found myself with a taste for clean factory upgrades/options rather then changing the car. Maybe that's why I haven't figured out which car I want yet. It probably doesn't exist. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Just got this info from a source of mine. This makes me so happy I have been waiting.
News of the new Harman system going into the '12 Challenger was revealed for the first time anywhere right here on CT forums back in February. But you're going to have to wait awhile as the system will not be available in the Challenger until November.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
While I'll agree that the stock sound system is definitely tuned for the car, there's no doubt in my mind that with decent upgraded system you'll achieve much higher fidelity than what comes out of the factory.

This is not gonna be a problem in the future anyways. There's a growing trend on integrating the NAV/Audio System and Car Controls into the same unit so changing the head unit will no longer be an option.

Just look at the 2011 300s. All climate controls are controlled via the touchscreen which also is the radio.

Which while it's very cool, sucks at the same time because I'll now have to navigate through menus just to turn up the heat.

I have to respectfully disagree. While you can change many things with aftermarket, one thing you can't is the car's profile. I find most decent stock systems to be better tuned to the car its in, rather then a system which was slapped together with components which are all universal.

AskMen.com did rate the Chystler 300 SRT8 with the kicker upgrade #9 out of all the stock audio systems. Check out their results. Some of what they did/find is pretty interesting.

Anyways, I don't want to start a debate. I have had a lot of cars, and have always loved doing my own stereo upgrades. But in the years of late, I found myself with a taste for clean factory upgrades/options rather then changing the car. Maybe that's why I haven't figured out which car I want yet. It probably doesn't exist. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While I'll agree that the stock sound system is definitely tuned for the car, there's no doubt in my mind that with decent upgraded system you'll achieve much higher fidelity than what comes out of the factory.

This is not gonna be a problem in the future anyways. There's a growing trend on integrating the NAV/Audio System and Car Controls into the same unit so changing the head unit will no longer be an option.

Just look at the 2011 300s. All climate controls are controlled via the touchscreen which also is the radio.

Which while it's very cool, sucks at the same time because I'll now have to navigate through menus just to turn up the heat.
Very true. I had a 2007 Accord coupe with the Navi, and everything was voice controlled, from what station you want to "max" A/C. Not to mention, the dash's are going away from the design of the din or double-din, and rather integrating everything into the design, which means no swap.

I had a 2010 BMW 135i, and if you have ever seen the dash on a BMW, there is no way your putting an aftermarket reciever in. But, I hated the sound. I ended up having to add an aftermarket DSP prior to the amp, and a line converter to clean up the signal. When I got done, it was nice since everything looked stock, but it was a lot of extra work and $$$.

That's too bad about the late release date. I suppose that's all right though. Closing on a house in Aug and going on a honeymoon in Oct, doesn't leave much funding around for a new car...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts