Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I know it's been covered elsewhere but I'm posting my Hurst Black Comp Stick + Hurst Polished T-style Grip install story/pics anyway. It was a fairly nice day here in Indiana, finally! I washed my car last night after work for the first time since the end of December, but 40 degrees is still pretty damn cold to be washing her! It was good to get over a month of grime off of her, though. So I got motivated today and knocked out the first mod I've done to the Challenger since my K&N drop-in air filter & included horsepower-bumping stickers. :icon_biggrin: Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase and the install was a 2/5 difficulty for a tech support guy who really has no business working on his own car...

1:19pm = Stock Shifter & Console

1:22pm = Chrome ring at bottom of shift knob pried loose with Leatherman pocket tool, stock knob pulled off by hand.

1:29pm = It took me 7 minutes of prying, begging, and careful pressure to get the damn chrome trim ring off. Zero damage, though. Still only used Leatherman pocket tool so far. Notice carbon fiber trim beginning to budge loose, too.

1:33pm = I got tired of trying to work around the carbon fiber trim so I just pulled it completely out. This was in the process of removing the stock black plastic shift plate.

1:41pm = By far the hardest part of the job was getting the stock black plastic shift plate off. I couldn't accomplish this without using both my Leatherman pocket tool and a standard screwdriver simultaneously. I also didn't get away from this part of the job without some minor damage (later picture).

1:44pm = Stock sliding plastic removed, wrapped in rubber band according to Hurst instructions/forum advice.

1:56pm = After a quick smoke break, I reinstalled the black sliding plastic and then the Hurst slider aluminum guide onto the back of the stock white shift plate. This is supposed to prevent the black plastic slider from binding up inside the console. The Hurst instructions said the entire console may have to be removed for this part of the installation, but with a little finesse and the screwdriver I was able to pry the white plastic back towards the front of the car a bit, slide the aluminum guide into place, then squeeze the tabs closed further down inside the console with my fingers. Tricky, but nowhere near impossible.

2:10pm = So here is the final resting place of the Hurst black anodized aluminum shift plate. This is after 10 minutes of installing it, removing it, adjusting it, wedging it, doing anything and everything I could to get it in so it felt solid. The fit never did feel solid no matter what I tried. I just gave up and hoped for the best. Top arrow = busted tab for carbon fiber trim when I removed it. Bottom two arrows = scuff marks on console from trying to pry stock plastic black shift plate off with Leatherman pocket tool. Cheap plastic console scuffs REAL EASY so be careful!

2:14pm = Hurst shift stalk installed over stock piece. 3 set screws. Don't drop these. Also keep tabs on your hex wrench. More on this later...

2:18pm = Black Hurst ball shift knob installed just to see if I liked it. I did until...

2:23pm = Hurst Polished Aluminum T-style Grip installed. This handle has some mass. It just plain feels good in your hand. I know, it will be freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer, but for now I don't care. It looks great, feels great, and I'm really happy with it. I had to buy it separately, but it came with a universal install kit which really came in handy for me. Because I couldn't find the exact size of wrench the instructions called for, I really narfed up the original jam nut that came with the Comp Stick kit trying to slide a crescent wrench onto it. Thankfully the T-style Grip universal install kit had an identical jam nut so I was much more careful using the crescent wrench on it the second time around.

2:34pm = Here it is all buttoned up and shined up. I thought I was all done at one point until I noticed my 3mm hex wrench was missing and my carbon fiber trim wasn't snapped all the way down for some mysterious reason. Chrome and carbon fiber trim had to come back off... you get the idea. :cursin:

So in summary, an hour and fifteen minutes of install time including my smoke break and my bonehead move of leaving the hex wrench in the middle of everything and having to retrieve it. Not a terribly difficult install by any means. Plate looks good, handle looks and feels very good. Notice in the last picture the front of the chrome trim ring DOES have the elevation/gap above the aluminum shift plate so many others have mentioned, and the fitment of the aluminum plate itself on the stock white plastic shift plate is what really bothers me. It's just downright LOOSE and can wiggle from side to side by a few centimeters or so when all of the other trim is off. It doesn't seem to move at all with the chrome trim ring reinstalled, so maybe it's not a huge deal after all.

The next challenge? Deciding where the included "Hurst Equipped" badge goes! :guiness:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
That looks GREAT man!!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I love it ! Looks amazing ! I plan on using the same handle.. I have it ordered already.. But I'm not doing the Hurst stick and plate. I'm just going to die the top of the exisiting shaft, and cover the stock plate with a leather boot. I can NOT wait. Either way.. Yours looks awesome ! And thank you for the step by step.. I needed that !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts