Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I have a 2012 300S with 70k miles. I also used to have an extended warranty. I was unaware of the left side head issue and recently through a code for #2 cylinder misfire. I had a local guy change the coil and the spark plugs. However, not sure if this will fix the issue but it is no longer throwing the same code, at least, not yet. I'm assuming if I take it to the dealer, they will not replace the heads even though this has been an issue for many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. Any advice or guidance, other than just biting the bullet and paying to have it fixed. Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
Is this a recall or a technical service bulletin?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Probably have it checked out - IIRC, the valve seat was an issue on those early production 3.6 V6 engines.

You may still be eligible for it being replaced. You have relatively low miles for a 2012

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,725 Posts
a
Friends, I have a 2012 300S with 70k miles. I also used to have an extended warranty. I was unaware of the left side head issue and recently through a code for #2 cylinder misfire. I had a local guy change the coil and the spark plugs. However, not sure if this will fix the issue but it is no longer throwing the same code, at least, not yet. I'm assuming if I take it to the dealer, they will not replace the heads even though this has been an issue for many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. Any advice or guidance, other than just biting the bullet and paying to have it fixed. Thank you!
What makes you believe the cylinder head would not be replaced by a local dealership's service department if the head is determined to indeed be one of the bad ones?

I don't remember the specific numbers, but Dodge's Pentastar cylinder head problem got to be sufficiently widespread and affected enough engines that a special warranty extension was issued for cylinder heads on the Pentastar engine. It is something like 10 yrs/100K miles I think (for the cylinder heads), but whatever it is, you should be well within those limits for your engine.

I can only make an educated guess based upon the limited details you have provided, but I would say it is more likely than not that your engine has one of the faulty heads on it. Your best course of action is to call a local Dodge dealership's service department and schedule an appointment to take the car in and drop it off for a more in-depth diagnoses of the DTCs present in the system. You should plan on being without the car for several days, possibly even a week, if it is determined to have a bad head and requires a new one. Whether or not that means negotiating with them for a rental or what is up to your (and them), but the diagnosis itself will likely take > 1 day, followed by several more to get the head in and installed (if it is indeed a bad one), so make sure you can work around that if necessary.

Unfortunately there are some dealership service departments out there which are less than a pleasure to deal with on something like this. If you take your car in and do not get a satisfactory explanation as to what is causing the problem, regardless of what it ends up being, do not be afraid to take the car to another dealership and get a 2nd opinion...or 3rd! There are some good service departments out there, even if they appear to be few and far between. Don't quit until you find one you are comfortable with, and then give them all your dealership service business from that point forward. As bad as the bad ones can be sometimes, I have found that the good ones are just as good to keep as your go-to places for all things dealership related.

Nuke

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
If the dealer says NO to a warranty repair ask CHRYSLER to do a "Good Will" one time warranty repair.
Just about every manufacturer will do these from time to time. Does help if you've purchased other new Chrysler products in the past.

HONDA did a Good Will warranty for me on a 2000 Civic that I bought new and the drivers power window motor went out with like 40,000 miles.
The warranty was 3/36 but when I called Honda direct they agreed to do the repair no charge.

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser
1 - 6 of 6 Posts