Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hit the web about an hour ago at Motor Authority.

They said the SRT8 392 has remained largely unchanged, though speculation on paddle shifters on the autos was correct. The changes are the car receiving "a two-mode adaptive suspension that offers an "Auto" mode that adjusts to road conditions and driver inputs and a "Sport" mode that locks in a higher damping rate for back-road blasting...A new heated steering wheel with shift paddles for automatic-transmission cars, and an 18-speaker Harmon Kardon 900-watt audio system with GreenEdge technology (basically, the amplifiers and speakers are tuned to use the least amount of energy possible)."

READ THE FULL ARTICLE:
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392: First Drive

·
Registered
62 Posts
I do not see one thing I would really care about as far as improvements with the 2012. I would rather save the bucks on a 2011 when they drop in price for new model year

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I do not see one thing I would really care about as far as improvements with the 2012. I would rather save the bucks on a 2011 when they drop in price for new model year
That 2-mode active dampening suspension system would be something i'd consider. Is suppose you can get the same with the manual adjusting KW Coilover V2 or the Pedders setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if you'll be able to buy the 2012 suspension and drop it in your 2011. I'd reckon so seeing as how you can buy SRT8 suspensions now on the Mopar website and drop them in whatever Chally you have now.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
That 2-mode active dampening suspension system would be something i'd consider. Is suppose you can get the same with the manual adjusting KW Coilover V2 or the Pedders setup.
Just one more thing to go wrong!:disgust:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought the 2011 because of the suspension and HP improvements over previous years. Coming from a FORD and GM family with family members working at both factories, I'm the Black Sheep of the family going Mopar. I love the looks of the Challenger, the ride is awesome compared to the Mustang and the Camaro is just plain ugly IMO but I don't see enough gain in trading up even with the suspension upgrade for 2012. Now if they offer a check off box for a blower then I just might bite.
The Challenger needs another 150+HP and it'll be just about right to be "MY" perfect car, not that its any slouch now by any means I just like the push into the seatback to be a little harder then it is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, cool! That's the news I was waiting for!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
did y'all pick up on this little added bonus......?

SRT Track Experience
Owners of any Chrysler Group SRT vehicle receive one day of professional driving instruction from the Richard Petty Driving Experience as part of the SRT Track Experience, designed to maximize their driving knowledge and skills on the street or track. Sessions are held throughout the year at selected tracks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
did y'all pick up on this little added bonus......?

SRT Track Experience
Owners of any Chrysler Group SRT vehicle receive one day of professional driving instruction from the Richard Petty Driving Experience as part of the SRT Track Experience, designed to maximize their driving knowledge and skills on the street or track. Sessions are held throughout the year at selected tracks.
SRT Track Experience has always been standard on every SRT vehicle (that I know of). I got it when I bought my '06 Charger SRT8, '09 Challenger SRT8, and '11 Challenger SRT8.

As a matter of fact, on Friday when I went to the SRT Experience @ NJ Motorsport Park, our instructor "Hammer" said that out of the 20,000 SRT vehicles Chrysler sells each year, only about 4,000 owners show up for the SRT Experience.

Evidently, 16,000 owners don't read window stickers: it's right THERE in black and white...:scratchhead:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So you already ordered one? Gotta have strip delete ...I am not a fan of stripes. When I purchased my 2009 back in 2008 I don't remember a lot of strip challengers, except for the silver...color.......I also like the wheels I have on my 2009 over those polished wheels they have on the 2011 limited edition model

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
out of the 20,000 SRT vehicles Chrysler sells each year, only about 4,000 owners show up for the SRT Experience.

Evidently, 16,000 owners don't read window stickers: it's right THERE in black and white...:scratchhead:
We Canadian owners do not get this little perk. At least nothing that I've been told about?

Even if we did, there doesn't seem to be anything near Western Canada.

Maybe I'm wrong? Any other Canadian SRT owners ever get this mentioned??

·
Registered
48 Posts
When is the 8 speed auto coming? What is the holdup? Is it multiple choices for each gear kind of like Dodge uses in the 5 speed with it's 2 2nd gear options or is it actually 8 seperate gears that it runs thru?

·
Registered
35 Posts
We Canadian owners do not get this little perk. At least nothing that I've been told about?

Even if we did, there doesn't seem to be anything near Western Canada.

Maybe I'm wrong? Any other Canadian SRT owners ever get this mentioned??

You guys get the winter driving experience! :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
17,315 Posts
When is the 8 speed auto coming? What is the holdup? Is it multiple choices for each gear kind of like Dodge uses in the 5 speed with it's 2 2nd gear options or is it actually 8 seperate gears that it runs thru?
Initially the 8-speed ZF automatic will be on the 3.6 Pentastar cars.

* If this is like practice in other ZF applications, under light throttle the transmission can upshift quickly to get into higher gears for better fuel economy.
* Under high throttle / fast throttle changes, downshifts can skip 2-3 gears for more rapid acceleration and quicker downshifts rather than sequential downshifts.

No 8-speed / V8 applications announced in place yet for 2012 production.

Once Chrysler gets its US plant online, and the ZF tranny is developed for V8 applications and certifications, it may appear in future applications.

Chrysler put temporary hold during 2011 on 3.6 / 8-speed orders as they had more orders than could be built at the present time with the supply logistics. The present units are built and supplied by ZF as it stands for the period of June - July 2011. There were articles on Allpar.com about that too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts