Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

My Challenger is currently at the dealership having some warranty work done and I have a 2012 Charger SE and thought I'd share my opinion on the car. I believe the car I have is the base model and has 16,000 miles on it. Today is day 3 with the Charger.

Price (Bahrain):
Starting at approximately $31K.

Drivability:
I thought that the car would be too heavy honestly but I was surprised about how quiet the engine was when driven normally. The 8 speed transmission is really comfy and smooth. You don't get the savage feeling like the one in the 5 speed when changing gears at a stop nor do you feel the transmission shifting when driving normally. The throttle response is much better than I had expected and the shift points are higher than my Challenger when at full throttle. I wouldn't consider this car to be muscle at all IMO. It would serve as a great DD to be honest. Fuel consumption was very good considering the fact that we have 95% city driving here in Bahrain. I love the fact that the engine revs low while cruising because of the 8 speed. The car feels really agile when accelerating and responds to full throttle really well.

Ride quality:
I am really surprised with the ride comfort of this car. Far better than what I had in mind and much better than the previous V6 Charger IMO. I did not expect it to be comfier than my Challenger but it was, honestly. This may be because of the 20'' chrome clads on my car and the Charger having 18" base wheels. I have not driven a Challenger with 18's yet. The cabin is pretty much quiet other than the fact that the sunglass storage compartment rattles extremely loud and the driver seat squeaks extremely as well. However, I think that this is because this is a replacement car and people over here tend to abuse replacement cars instead of respect them and treat them as their own.

Interior:
The interior is pretty much roomy.I have found the new gear knob on the 8 speed really fun to use but it could get a little bit annoying when using it in a tight space with the need to shift between different gears constantly (like a parking space for example). I really like the instrumental cluster, especially with the screen between the RPM and the Speedometer dials. The quality of the interior overall was pretty much good. Everything is fit and tight with nothing loose. I expected cheaper quality to be honest. This would be the interior that I don't mind living with everyday if the car was a DD.

Exterior:
The body work overall quality was much better than my Challenger IMO. There are no misaligned quarter panels, exhaust tips or hood. I couldn't find any flaws with the paint as some members have mentioned with their Challengers (Mine had some dust in the rear bumper when I got it). The door handle was also tighter and more fit than the one on my Challenger. It felt much better and stronger.

Things that I liked about it:
1. Quiet cabin (Excluding the rattles from the driver seat and the sunglass storage compartment).
2. Engine and Transmission feel.
3. Instrumental panel.
4. Large middle compartment for storage with a removable top shelf for coins, pens and cards.
5. I think the overall build quality is better than my Challenger IMO.

Things that I didn't like about it:
1. Looks really outdated without HID headlights.
2. Exhaust looks hideous showing behind the exhaust tips.
3. The blinker/wiper control rattles and feels like it will break any second.

The car also had an ECO mode. I wasn't aware that the V6's have this. Do they have MDS or does it flash when the car is running ''economically"?

I will be posting pics tomorrow of the car as it is currently night time here in Bahrain.

Hope this review helps anyone who might be interested in a Charger now or in the future.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics that I took earlier today. The car turned out to be a 2013 not a 2012.

·
Registered
828 Posts
"eco" on a V6 is just when its running with "good" fuel mileage, no MDS on the V6, my 3.5L challenger has it too.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
not sure why you would get a V6 over there. Gas was 14 cents a gallon when I was there for Desert Storm.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure why you would get a V6 over there. Gas was 14 cents a gallon when I was there for Desert Storm.
Gas is $1 per gallon over here now (subsidized by the government). I do agree on not getting a V6 over here but we do get crazy markups in car prices in the first place. I paid almost $47k for my 2013 Auto R/T (options are: chrome clad wheels, 430 screen with no Nav, rear sensors, Sport mode, fog lights and the black hood to fender stripes ONLY- NON STP car and without the anti spin differential either). This is not even "out the door". SRT Challengers sell for $68k over here.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts