Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, got a 2012 R/T w 6 speed. Park on gentle slope and leave car in 1st with e-brake on. Start the car, and is extremely hard to get out of first, worse if I take the e-brake off and let off the brake, with the clutch fully depressed, the car will roll forward. Took it to dealer and they could not replicate the problem. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
personally, I just don't park in gear so never really had it happen and honestly don't want to find out...my rule is, anything over a 3% slope is a no no and will look for other parking options or just flat out blow it off, not worth pressure jammed shift rails over parking on an incline

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,023 Posts
I am confused, why would the car not roll forward with the clutch depressed and the brakes off?

Do you put it in first then apply the brake? When I am on a slope I put the brake on, make sure it holds and then place it in first. I have not had any problems.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I am confused, why would the car not roll forward with the clutch depressed and the brakes off?

Do you put it in first then apply the brake? When I am on a slope I put the brake on, make sure it holds and then place it in first. I have not had any problems.

Well, the simple answer is when is does happen the transmission's main shaft is bound up...usually due to ring or cone binding (this holds the car still from free movement via the driveshaft)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
this all seems strange to me! I have driven sticks all my life, and parked them every kind of way,Up hill down hill. Parking up hill push the clutch in, brake in stop! Put trains in neutral set park brake! push clutch in put trains in reverse always!. turn off engine. You say you can't get it out of gear! Push the clutch down and start the engine and let the clutch out!! Have you people ever driven a stick before? Gears will sometimes stick together, but with the engine running you let the clutch out a little and it will turn loose.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have reread the OP and don't really understand the problem. But here is what I do, if parked pointing up hill I apply the e brake, kill the engine have the shifter in 1st gear, let the car roll back on the e brake and then let out the clutch. If parked pointing downhill I do the same except the shifter is in reverse. Never a problem.

I assume you are not referring to a problem with the 'hill assist' feature.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, got a 2012 R/T w 6 speed. Park on gentle slope and leave car in 1st with e-brake on. Start the car, and is extremely hard to get out of first, worse if I take the e-brake off and let off the brake, with the clutch fully depressed, the car will roll forward. Took it to dealer and they could not replicate the problem. Anyone else have this problem?
Not sure about the car rolling forward when in gear and off.. but as for parking on an incline and having difficulty getting it out of gear. Yea, that happens all the time (over my last 4 years of ownership). Don't think it's anything to worry about, I just yank it out of gear to where I want it to be :bigthumb: but definitely not unusual.

·
Registered
834 Posts
If I understand your post correctly I had this same issue with my 2010 as did
many others on this site. If parked on any incline at all and it would get stuck
in first gear, almost impossible to get out of gear. As mentioned in this thread
If I could start it AND let out the clutch it would alleviate the problem. But there
are times that wasn't possible (parallel parking, head in parking etc).

If you search there is an old thread about this. It's a known issue to Dodge. There is
a doc similar to a TSB, it's called a Star Case. I printed it out and took it with me to my
service appt. If you have this issue it's pretty easy to replicate at will. I took the SA for
a drive. Punched it and left off off quickly, no braking or clutch. This replicates the load
of parking on an incline. Had the SA try to take it out of gear and he could not. He got the
Star Case approved by Dodge and they performed the service. When I picked it up no
more sticking and shifted much smoother. You have to do the homework yourself but
if you go in prepared you can get it fixed. They'll try not to do it as it's about $4 in parts
but about a whole day of labor. But if your prepared and stand your ground you should be
able to get it done.

If I get a chance I'll see if I can find the doc or thread and I'll post.

·
Registered
834 Posts
A little digging and I found it. If you want to read the many threads about this
issue just search "stuck in gear"

Here's one of the bigger threads.....

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f188/i-think-i-should-head-dealership-6-speed-issue-38859/

And here's the STARR case..... good luck.

Case Number: S1021000004

Release Date: 2010-11-04

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Transmission is hard to shift into and out of any gear when stopped.

Diagnosis:
When the vehicle is running, but at an idle, verify the vehicle condition by depressing the clutch pedal and attempting to position the transmission gear selector into any gear. If there is difficulty when

attempting to shift into any gear, perform the outlined repair procedure. Excessive grease on the input

shaft splines collecting excessive amounts of dirt which does not allow smooth movement of the
clutch disc on the input shaft.

Parts Required:
1 P/N 05083150AA , (Grease) As required.
2 P/N 06508880AA , (Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts) 6 Required

Repair Procedure:

1 Remove the transmission as outlined in the service procedures.

2 Clean the transmission clutch hub splines and input shaft splines with mineral spirits.
3 Remove the pressure plate and clutch disc as outlined in the service procedures.

4 Clean the splines on the pressure plate with mineral spirits. Be sure to not allow clutch disc

to become saturated with cleaner.
5 Once the residual solvent has evaporated from the splines on the clutch hub, input shaft
and clutch disc, sparingly grease the entire length of the clutch hub and input shaft splines.
6 Install the pressure plate and clutch disc as outlined in the service procedures. Be sure to
use new pressure plate bolts during re-assembly.

Verification:

Bring vehicle to operating temperature. When at an idle, depress the clutch and attempt to move gearshift into each gear. There should be no resistance and the gearshift should move freely into all gear positions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
6POINT4 recommended star case fix is probably right. If you have to pretty much punch the shifter out of first then the splines need to be greased. I had the same issue with my 2011 manual. Just talk to the master mechanic at the dealer and he will call in to Chrysler and it'll be covered by your warranty. Your car will shift as good as new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've recently been experiencing this same condition in my 2011 R/T. I chalked it up to the usual manual stickiness that can happen every once in a while. What alarmed me was (as described in the original post) when I let off the brake, with the clutch still depressed all the way, I can feel the clutch engage very slightly and the car moves forward. My car's out of warranty now. But I'll check with my dealer after researching other posts and info. Thanks for posting this and sharing the info. I'm happy to know the cause is not serious.
If/when I get it looked at I will post the outcome. Please do the same.
Thanks!
-Tom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the thought Whiterabbit. While I can't speak for everyone, I'm positively sure the issue I've experienced is not related to the hill assist feature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.