Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stuck in a parking garage and my dash just says “power steering service needed”. I dont know what to do and steps to take.

My car starts fine, should it shouldnt be my battery getting low should it?

I cant even find a what electic pump the 2012 sxt have...

Please help

·
Registered
474 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my 2014 in 2015 at 7,440 miles.

Finding: Failed Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump (code C220D-00) ELECTRIC POWERED HYDRAULIC STEERING MODULE INTERNAL. Pump failed and contaminated the steering system with metal shavings.

Required service:

-Flushed power steering system lines
-Replaced EHPS module pump assembly
-Replaced power steering rack assembly

This is not to say you have the same problem. The associated diagnostic code will specify the exact problem. If you suspect a fluid leak, the system does have a fluid reservoir of which you can verify the level is adequate, however, the passenger-side wheel liner must be removed to access (will require new plastic rivets and poly riveter to re-install).

If the reservoir requires fluid..."This vehicle features an Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump which requires a different power steering fluid. Do not mix power steering fluid types. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used. The EHPS system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent" MOPAR Tech Authority Service and Information Manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the same thing happen to my 2014 in 2015 at 7,440 miles.

Finding: Failed Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump (code C220D-00) ELECTRIC POWERED HYDRAULIC STEERING MODULE INTERNAL. Pump failed and contaminated the steering system with metal shavings.

Required service:

-Flushed power steering system lines
-Replaced EHPS module pump assembly
-Replaced power steering rack assembly

This is not to say you have the same problem. The associated diagnostic code will specify the exact problem. If you suspect a fluid leak, the system does have a fluid reservoir of which you can verify the level is adequate, however, the passenger-side wheel liner must be removed to access (will require new plastic rivets and poly riveter to re-install).

If the reservoir requires fluid..."This vehicle features an Electro Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump which requires a different power steering fluid. Do not mix power steering fluid types. Damage may result to the power steering pump and system if any other fluid is used. The EHPS system uses fluid which meets material specification MS-11655 or equivalent" MOPAR Tech Authority Service and Information Manual.

So, the module pump is bad. Just ordered a new pump, and I'm going to put in on myself. I've never bled or changed anything like this before, so hopefully I don't screw up. Fortunately, the pump is electric and should just be a plug and play right?

·
Registered
474 Posts
No guarantee it is the EHPS module. There are also sensors within the steering system of which can cause the EVIC message you received and loss of power steering. The associated diagnostic code will determine the exact problem. If the module failed in the same manner as mine, the steering rack will require replacement, as the metal shavings have contaminated the entire system. The lines can simply be flushed. Any remaining contamination will cause future component failure. I highly recommend purchasing a MOPAR Tech Authority Service and Information Manual for this job, as it outlines the entire diagnostic and replacement procedure and associated torque specifications. If the replacement and bleeding procedure is not done properly, you might be doing the job again in the near future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No guarantee it is the EHPS module. There are also sensors within the steering system of which can cause the EVIC message you received and loss of power steering. The associated diagnostic code will determine the exact problem. If the module failed in the same manner as mine, the steering rack will require replacement, as the metal shavings have contaminated the entire system. The lines can simply be flushed. Any remaining contamination will cause future component failure. I highly recommend purchasing a MOPAR Tech Authority Service and Information Manual for this job, as it outlines the entire diagnostic and replacement procedure and associated torque specifications. If the replacement and bleeding procedure is not done properly, you might be doing the job again in the near future.
I had it towed to a AAA service center to get an idea of what I was working with. When I called them, they said it was the pump module that was giving a faulty reading. I specifically asked if it read anything else, including the issues you had about the steering rack, and he said nothing else was showing. I have my own OBD II reader, so I'll be doing it myself, as well as the whole pump situation. I've never installed anything like that, much less bleeding fluids. I have researched and found it the pump is a pretty simple process, un-bolt, bolt on, including the fluid flush. Tons of videos on flushing the fluids, so thats good.

My concern is finding the right fluid. It appears the manual is showing the fluids for the pulley pumps... any knowledge on that?

·
Registered
517 Posts
My concern is finding the right fluid. It appears the manual is showing the fluids for the pulley pumps... any knowledge on that?
Why not grab a bottle of the MOPAR PS fluid? Should only need 1 qt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts