Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried discussing this a few times on this forum but members tend to believe I am an idiot and have the typical gear whine thats standard with the 3.92 rear gear set. My issue isnt typical, My M6 RT with a whipple @10lbs which i abuse relentlesly. So a few months ago i was doing a highway pull, 2nd gear great, 3rd gear great, then halfway through 4th i got an extremely lough high frequency "whine". my diff has always whined after getting wheel hop during burnouts but now its insanely loud and i am sure there is some serious damage to possibly the diff.. The noise is speed dependent and sound comes from the rear of the car, ruling out the tranny.

So my question is could i really have blown the diff in 4th?? The car only makes 550 Whp and lb-ft at its best..
is there a possibility of anything else hurt? hopefully something cheaper than a $1500 getrag
If it is the diff is there anything i can do to a replacement to keep this from happening again
Also the diff is full of diff fluid from BnD automotive, fresh as of maybe 10k miles ago

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you verified the diff oil level was correct after it was changed out?
Put it in myself, so yes. followed standard precidure and measured amt left in container.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Drain fluid and take a look at it.

I doubt you hurt it in 4th but you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
I have tried discussing this a few times on this forum but members tend to believe I am an idiot and have the typical gear whine thats standard with the 3.92 rear gear set. My issue isnt typical, My M6 RT with a whipple @10lbs which i abuse relentlesly. So a few months ago i was doing a highway pull, 2nd gear great, 3rd gear great, then halfway through 4th i got an extremely lough high frequency "whine". my diff has always whined after getting wheel hop during burnouts but now its insanely loud and i am sure there is some serious damage to possibly the diff.. The noise is speed dependent and sound comes from the rear of the car, ruling out the tranny.

So my question is could i really have blown the diff in 4th?? The car only makes 550 Whp and lb-ft at its best..
is there a possibility of anything else hurt? hopefully something cheaper than a $1500 getrag
If it is the diff is there anything i can do to a replacement to keep this from happening again
Also the diff is full of diff fluid from BnD automotive, fresh as of maybe 10k miles ago
If the diff is indeed "blown" it was not 4th gear specifically. The diff goes bad during vehicle operation and when it goes bad enough to make itself known is just a matter of chance.

As for preventing this happening again my advice would be to stop doing burn outs especially ones that result in wheel hop. Also, that abusing the car "relentlessly" should probably be stopped as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the diff is indeed "blown" it was not 4th gear specifically. The diff goes bad during vehicle operation and when it goes bad enough to make itself known is just a matter of chance.

As for preventing this happening again my advice would be to stop doing burn outs especially ones that result in wheel hop. Also, that abusing the car "relentlessly" should probably be stopped as well.
I abused it when it was stock, from burnouts and donuts n such. Now with the blower i try to be more careful but still get wheel hop when i spin then in first and second. Donuts are a must

Reactions: bad13
1 - 6 of 6 Posts