Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me for sounding that I don't know what I'm talking about but I really don't. My Challenger I have inherited from my husband who passed away 3 years ago. I had not drove it much since then and after it has been parked for almost year when I went to started her up and pull it out of the driveway this summer there was no Power steering. After several discussions with couple of my neighbors they suggested that it could be a fuse problem or it could need fluid. and theres no way for me to add fluid unless you take off the tire on the passenger side. So...I had it towed to the dealership, in addition to the ps problem....both windows go up n down after u walk away causing a dead battery everytime. This is the 2nd time , except this time it's both. So several recalls...alternator , airbags and now they say it needs a ps pump and it spewed and caused damage to the rack. My car only has 34k miles to its name. Of course the warranty expired, through my insane amount of paperwork...it slipped through the cracks. $2600 to fix power steering, and 1200 to fix windows...battery...detailing. round it to 5k. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,529 Posts
I cannot prove it, but I’m fairly certain the power steering setup on these cars was designed by 1st year engineers still hungover from their first magic mushroom trip. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the parts they used to put those plans into action on these cars were leftover rejections from a 3rd world scooter factory assembly line.

Be that as it may, it doesn’t help you much in your current situation I know. Assuming you are set on keeping the car, and the repair costs are prohibitive, one option would be to have an independent automotive repair shop do the power steering work and ask them to source the parts from a salvage yard. Their warranty for the work will likely only extend as far as the salvage yard’s 90 day warranty for the parts, but the savings in cost should be considerable. They may not want to use used parts, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

As for the electrical issues, those can be a killer as well. The dealership service department is probably the best place to have resolve those, but they will obviously be the most expensive. However, for something like that, the cost may well be worth it. If you have them perform all the outstanding recalls at the same time, that will simplify things somewhat as well.

Don’t be afraid to get a 2nd or even 3rd opinion on any repair estimates, and always get the estimates in writing to help compare the work (and parts & warrantied items) to make deciding on who to go with easier.

——————

On a side note, did you get an explanation for what’s causing the window issue? That’s a new one on me and it sounds like it could even be fixed by the alternator recall, so to have them tell you it will cost a certain amount to fix seems to imply they know the problem already. I am curious what that is and what the parts list/labor is to fix it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Excuse me for sounding that I don't know what I'm talking about but I really don't. My Challenger I have inherited from my husband who passed away 3 years ago. I had not drove it much since then and after it has been parked for almost year when I went to started her up and pull it out of the driveway this summer there was no Power steering. After several discussions with couple of my neighbors they suggested that it could be a fuse problem or it could need fluid. and theres no way for me to add fluid unless you take off the tire on the passenger side. So...I had it towed to the dealership, in addition to the ps problem....both windows go up n down after u walk away causing a dead battery everytime. This is the 2nd time , except this time it's both. So several recalls...alternator , airbags and now they say it needs a ps pump and it spewed and caused damage to the rack. My car only has 34k miles to its name. Of course the warranty expired, through my insane amount of paperwork...it slipped through the cracks. $2600 to fix power steering, and 1200 to fix windows...battery...detailing. round it to 5k. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Absolutely compare quotes from multiple dealers. I think the first dealer you went to is likely taking advantage of the situation whereas you had the car towed to them and want it fixed - they are going to try and kill you on price. Tow it to another dealer, or get a phone quote for the repairs now that you know what they are. DO NOT go with the first dealer.

That being said, what Nuke said is right - have a local shop change the power steering system. Find a shop that is clean and looks like they wont scratch your ride - and have them do it - their cost will be 1/4 of a dealer.

Sorry about the late husband - at least his car is in good hands.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,279 Posts
I responded to your other post

1 - 4 of 4 Posts