Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a stupid question but I have to ask. Has anyone gone from the v6 @305hp to the v8 @485hp? If so is the acceleration and power that much more? Is this 6.4 392 going to blow me away and put me into my seat?

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
I know this is probably a stupid question but I have to ask. Has anyone gone from the v6 @305hp to the v8 @485hp? If so is the acceleration and power that much more? Is this 6.4 392 going to blow me away and put me into my seat?
I went from a 5.7 eagle to a 392. Even that was a significant jump. You get used to horsepower fast though. That's why my 392 has a blower now.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Definitely will put you in your seat. This upgrade will be like when you were tall enough to move from the kiddie rides to the roller coasters at the amusement park.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All joking aside, the most important difference will learning throttle control. If you punch the accelerator on the 392 like you do on the V-6, you may find yourself looking in a direction you did not intend. Any wetness on the road, loose gravel at intersections, etc combined with the sudden acceleration can cause unexpected results. The traction control will help reduce this, but it's not foolproof, and of course, it needs to be on to work.

Some wise man said "With great power comes great responsibility." And the 392 Hemi definitely qualifies as "great power".

·
Registered
499 Posts
Short answer, YES the 392 will blow you away! I jumped from a 2013 SXT Plus to a 2017 Scat Pack. The torque is a huge difference and the overall driving experience with the Scat Pack is much more exhilarating. I've had the car since May 2017 and I still can't get used to the power. Every time I mash the pedal there's an instant rush of adrenaline because the car literally roars like a lion and the torque pushes you back into the seat. It honestly feels like it's too much power to control especially going around curves on the highway.

I'm not a racer and I don't ever go to the tracks, but I've been a muscle car guy for the past 5-7 years (that's why I opted for the V6 the first time). I absolutely love the Scat Pack upgrade because the power IS that much greater in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
All joking aside, the most important difference will learning throttle control. If you punch the accelerator on the 392 like you do on the V-6, you may find yourself looking in a direction you did not intend. Any wetness on the road, loose gravel at intersections, etc combined with the sudden acceleration can cause unexpected results. The traction control will help reduce this, but it's not foolproof, and of course, it needs to be on to work.
And I will back K-Dawg up, 100%! You do have to learn how to handle the 392 because those rear wheels sometimes do the weirdest things. (Only 245s on the Scats without an upgrade and 275s on the T/A and SRT, but even 275s doesn't seem to be enough) Just accelerating around a corner with a bit too heavy a foot and you'll feel her skipping and jumping. However, learning how to drive it is half the fun. You also didn't touch on SOUND! Even with no mods to the exhaust, it's gonna make you smile every time you need that little extra.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
The difference will definitely blow you away. Mine cycles among purring like a kitten to annoyed to mildly enraged to downright ticked off, depending on its mood and that of its driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
And I will back K-Dawg up, 100%! You do have to learn how to handle the 392 because those rear wheels sometimes do the weirdest things. (Only 245s on the Scats without an upgrade and 275s on the T/A and SRT, but even 275s doesn't seem to be enough) Just accelerating around a corner with a bit too heavy a foot and you'll feel her skipping and jumping. However, learning how to drive it is half the fun. You also didn't touch on SOUND! Even with no mods to the exhaust, it's gonna make you smile every time you need that little extra.

Heck, even with 295s on the rear I have to feather it a fair bit in 1st. With the 255 Michelin Pilot Super Sports that were on it when I bought the car I could down right burn out from 1st to 2nd then well into 3rd without even using the brakes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I make the jump everyday from a V6 Charger work vehicle to my 392 Challenger. I’ll say this, I definitely LOVE getting into my 392 after a 16 hour shift. ;)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
relative same weight but adding almost 200hp and torque yeah big difference. But like anything else you get used to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went from a 2014 SXTplus to a 2015 Scat Pack 392, what a big difference! The v6 runs good, don't get me wrong, but the 392 is a whole different animal! Sound and feel!
Mine is Sublime Green, my granddaughter nick named it the Incredible Hulk, I can cruise around like a normal car, then mash the gas and it gets angry! I always tell people, the v6 put a smile on my face, the 392 puts a huge grin on my face!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just trade in my 2014 Rallye Redline for a brand new RT+ yesterday. The second I mashed the pedal I noticed a considerable difference. I would imagine going from the 5.7 to a 6.4 would be comparable. Your job would be a huge difference. I can only imagine the thrill it would give but since this is my daily driver I opted for a tad better gas mileage and options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went from a 2013 SXT SSG to a 2018 SPS and the difference is certainly big. When it comes to power, the seat pressing into your back is your best metric because you don't get very much sensation of speed in these cars due to the weight and upgraded suspension (or it's because you're not actually going anywhere lol). I went to pass a semi on the highway in the first week of ownership and lightly applied throttle in 5th. I thought I was going 75, maybe 85 when I finished passing, but I was actually doing 130! Also, the car records top speed. Mine reads 173 mph (definitely wasn't me;), my old SXT topped out at 136 mph every time.

More than power though, you're getting a lot more car. You'd be going from 2-piston brakes to 6-piston monoblock Brembos. You'd upgrade from the NAG-1 5-speed to either the ZF 8-speed, which is lauded as the best torque-converter automatic on the market today, or a Tremec TR-6060 6-speed which is another very popular manual transmission in the OE market. While the Pentastar 3.6l V6 sounds pretty good at idle, it suffers from the same thing almost all V6s suffer from which is that the sound doesn't hold up under throttle. V8s have always excelled at this and the 392 Hemi, being the largest displacement gasoline engine in America right now, is one of the best.

Bottom line, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll offer a slightly different perspective from all the "YES" people. I had a 5.7 Challenger with the old 5speed Auto. I decided I wanted to look test drive the new 2015+ 392s just for giggles. I didn't actually plan on buying one cause I did not want to pay that much money for a car. I went to my local dealership, they didn't have any Challengers but they did have some 392 chargers. So i drove one of those. Yes it was faster, more torque, but honestly it wasn't enough to wow me. I had 2 years left on my RT and getting one of those would push me back to at least 5-6 years. Fast forward some time and I got interested in maybe getting a 6speed 392. I fell in love with that instantly. It just felt more alive and brutal. The Auto felt like a really fast cadillac to me more than a muscle car. It just didn't offer enough for me for something that I don't race.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts