Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am a 16 year old who is looking to get a Challenger. I am paying for it all, but I’m not sure if I should get a 2015 sxt plus or a 2012 rt. I really like the body style and interior upgrade with the 2015 models, but I can’t afford to get the V8. Is the RT worth it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I would think being 16 years old, the insurance cost between the 2 cars might be the deciding factor. Nothing wrong with an SXT plus.

Reactions: Ajay57

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I would go with the 2015 SXT Plus. I've had a few R/T's with the manual trans, one with the 5 speed auto and I now have a 2016 SXT Plus with the eight speed auto. I went with the SXT for overall comfort/power/cost/mileage balance. The R/Ts were great but I live in Hell AKA Southern Arizona and that 5.7's power and performance suffers greatly from the extreme heat. So other than passing performance, there ends up not being much difference most of the year here performance wise. I really like the 3.6. It reminds me of the 340 V8 from the 1970s. Another reason I would go with the SXT if I were you assuming that 2012 is an auto trans, the 8 speed auto is a really good trans. Far, far better than the one 5 Speed I had in the older models. You're also getting many more features with the Plus. Another thing I like about the 3.6 is ease of maintenance. At your age the SXT is a far better choice for a multitude of reasons, not only expense wise but a great platform to gain experience on.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
Three V6 owners of the same opinion. I'd say get the 2015 for many reasons. You'll love the V6 if not always comparing it to V8s

A guy

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Unpopular opinion - neither. I financed a vehicle at 17, plus paid all fuel and insurance. Financially it was a mistake. I could have done a lot had I been able to save just 50% of that money. I believe that dumping money into a depreciating asset should come after a lot of other priorities.

But, since nobody came here to listen to me spout off financial advice, go with the v6 👍.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Unpopular opinion - neither. I financed a vehicle at 17, plus paid all fuel and insurance. Financially it was a mistake. I could have done a lot had I been able to save just 50% of that money. I believe that dumping money into a depreciating asset should come after a lot of other priorities.

But, since nobody came here to listen to me spout off financial advice, go with the v6 👍.
I would agree with you if he were one of those who runs out and buys a new Scat. Smartly, he is not. But a 2015 has already depreciated a lot so if he needs a car this one won't cost anymore than just about any other reliable used car, assuming he gets the SXT and has far lower maintenance/operating costs. Also I don't know what he meant when he said he was "paying for it all", whether that meant he had the cash in hand or not.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
I would agree with you if he were one of those who runs out and buys a new Scat. Smartly, he is not. But a 2015 has already depreciated a lot so if he needs a car this one won't cost anymore than just about any other reliable used car, assuming he gets the SXT and has far lower maintenance/operating costs. Also I don't know what he meant when he said he was "paying for it all", whether that meant he had the cash in hand or not.
You smack talkin cuz I just ran out and bought a new scat??

Just kidding lol.

I didn't look to see what price range these were going for. Personally I had a full time summer job and part time during school, at slightly above minimum wage and bought a truck for 9k. I could afford it by the numbers, but I regretted it. This was around 2007/2008. Right around when gas prices skyrocketed, at 12 mpg on a good day.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
You smack talkin cuz I just ran out and bought a new scat??

Just kidding lol.

I didn't look to see what price range these were going for. Personally I had a full time summer job and part time during school, at slightly above minimum wage and bought a truck for 9k. I could afford it by the numbers, but I regretted it. This was around 2007/2008. Right around when gas prices skyrocketed, at 12 mpg on a good day.
Ha! I just now noticed you have a Scat. And an M6 too. Good man. That's the only way to go with that. I had a Hemi Orange, and two Header Orange R/Ts. Wish they'd bring the Hemi Orange back. I bought my first car right out of USAF Basic Training, a four year old 1973 Dodge Coronet for $800. My pay as an Airman Basic at that time was $360 a month, lol.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey, I am a 16 year old who is looking to get a Challenger. I am paying for it all, but I’m not sure if I should get a 2015 sxt plus or a 2012 rt. I really like the body style and interior upgrade with the 2015 models, but I can’t afford to get the V8. Is the RT worth it? Thanks.
I look at this a little differently.

Happiness in owning the V6 is probably found in WANTING the car. If it's your "compromise" choice..... because a V8 car is where you really want to be.......I say, "Do NOTHING!!"

Don't buy at all. Far better to just wait.

Lots of stories about how this goes on the site if you look around.

A guy buys a "compromise"........only to regret the decision and then trade it away at what is almost always a significant "hit" to their wallet.

If you can say, "I want a V6 because it's the car that checks all the boxes on what I want and need!" then do it.

If on the other hand you're gonna have V8 power envy or regret I think you're way better off waiting.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would go with the 2015 SXT Plus. I've had a few R/T's with the manual trans, one with the 5 speed auto and I now have a 2016 SXT Plus with the eight speed auto. I went with the SXT for overall comfort/power/cost/mileage balance. The R/Ts were great but I live in Hell AKA Southern Arizona and that 5.7's power and performance suffers greatly from the extreme heat. So other than passing performance, there ends up not being much difference most of the year here performance wise. I really like the 3.6. It reminds me of the 340 V8 from the 1970s. Another reason I would go with the SXT if I were you assuming that 2012 is an auto trans, the 8 speed auto is a really good trans. Far, far better than the one 5 Speed I had in the older models. You're also getting many more features with the Plus. Another thing I like about the 3.6 is ease of maintenance. At your age the SXT is a far better choice for a multitude of reasons, not only expense wise but a great platform to gain experience on.
I doubt you were around in the 1970s and driving. Saying the modern V6 are not the "340" equivalent of the modern line up. Let's just call that a "STRETCH"........big time.

If the new 5.7 is the old 318 equal? That's how I see
'em.

The old 340s were pretty hot in their day. Closest equal we now would probably be best represented by the 392.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
I look at this a little differently.

Happiness in owning the V6 is probably found in WANTING the car. If it's your "compromise" choice..... because a V8 car is where you really want to be.......I say, "Do NOTHING!!"

Don't buy at all. Far better to just wait.

Lots of stories about how this goes on the site if you look around.

A guy buys a "compromise"........only to regret the decision and then trade it away at what is almost always a significant "hit" to their wallet.

If you can say, "I want a V6 because it's the car that checks all the boxes on what I want and need!" then do it.

If on the other hand you're gonna have V8 power envy or regret I think you're way better off waiting.
Great point. I knew I wanted the scat and nearly settled on the rt to get it "now". Now that I have the scat, I know I would have regretted the rt.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I doubt you were around in the 1970s and driving. Saying the modern V6 are not the "340" equivalent of the modern line up. Let's just call that a "STRETCH"........big time.

If the new 5.7 is the old 318 equal? That's how I see
'em.

The old 340s were pretty hot in their day. Closest equal we now would probably be best represented by the 392.
1970 Challenger T/A 340 0-60 7.1 sec, 1/4 mile, 15.4 @ 92 mph
2015 SXT 3.6 0-60 6.2 sec, 1/4 mile, 14.7 sec @ 97 mph.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Shots fired.

I wonder what the 340 would do with the modern 8 speed. Or vice versa. I know in my grand Cherokee that 8 speed does a great job of keeping the v6 in the power band.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Shots fired.

I wonder what the 340 would do with the modern 8 speed. Or vice versa. I know in my grand Cherokee that 8 speed does a great job of keeping the v6 in the power band.
I also have a Grand Cherokee 3.6. I'm very happy with the performance. The first one I test drove was an absolute dog. I couldn't belive it. The dealer was an a** so I went to another dealer that I bought my Challenger from and it was like night and day power wise. Don't know why. Back in the 1970s, according to the previous poster when I was not yet born, I had the 318 in my Coronet and in a 1974 Challenger. It was like today's 4 cyl Toyota and only got 10 mpg. The old 727 trans in the 340 was a really good trans but yes, today's eight speed would make a difference. I wonder what a manual 3.6 could do.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked up what a hemi would do. 1970 hemi Cuda, 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. I've been told by old timers that engines from that Era can't be touched - and other old timers tell me they have an overly nostalgic connection to them and, while great for the day, can't really compete with modern muscle. I would love to see a comparison between the modern 392 vs classic 426, with all else being equal.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I'm an R/T owner who would suggest you go with the SXT Plus. First off, it will cost a bit less on a daily basis to drive. Second, your insurance premium is sure to be less with the 6 cylinder. Third, your parents will have more peace of mind; and, that is priceless.

Reactions: vpzyck and mjb4450

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,762 Posts
At 16 if he has V8 envy, he has a looooong time to get there. In 4 or 5 years if he's diligent, he'll get his V8. Not that the 2012 isn't nice, but IMHO the look and interior of the 2015 is a step up. Heck, he'll have a Challenger at 16, and while I had a Trans Am at 18, most kids have some clapped out wanna be car

A Guy

Reactions: vpzyck
1 - 19 of 19 Posts