Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2012 RT that I have had for 18 months or so.
A few times now in the last couple weeks if I take a trip with a short stop, like getting gas, the car won't start. I use the push-button and it will crank and crank for the ten seconds. If I pull the push-button and use the key it has the same behavior. If I wait 8-10 minutes it starts right up. So it seems like something is overheating.
If I tap or really press the gas while trying to start it doesn't make a difference.

Shops near me all have massive waiting periods, maybe from everyone's cars sitting for months with no work, so I am wondering if there is something I can check/do on my own. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
If you do the same thing as you usually do except you do not fill up the gas tank but wait the same amount of time before you restart the engine does the engine exhibit the same no start behavior?

Off hand I'd offer it is an intermittent fuel pump or fuel pump relay problem. I would not replace the fuel pump on this thin of a guess or even replace the relay -- unless it is "cheap". In the past with another car a tech loaned me his bypass relay which I used to verify the fuel pump relay was not the problem. It turned out to be the fuel pump.

But if you can eliminate the relay then that leaves the pump. You can eliminate the pump if you can arrange to be able to hear it running at least before you attempt to start the engine. If just prior to when the engine starts you hear the pump then when you do not hear it run and of course the engine just cranks... well, there you are.

A slim possibility is the crankshaft position sensor is bad. While the engine will crank the engine controller will not know when to inject fuel or trigger a spark. In some cases a bad crankshaft position sensor can be ID'd by observing the tach. If when the engine cranks then starts and the tach shows some life as this happens you want to pay attention when the engine cranks and doesn't start. If the tach is "dead" that can be a sign of a bad (at least intermittently bad) crankshaft position sensor.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
Check codes, and fuel pressure. (and battery voltage while cranking for kicks)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a similar issue with a 2013 SXT. Would never throw an OBD code, however. But right after it happened one time I ran it to the dealer and they quickly obtained a code which related to no fuel pressure (or no fuel pump running). I switched the fuel pump relay with another and it still happened. Also made sure to move the relay in and out good in the socket to confirm it felt seated. Finally solved the problem by disassembling the power center in the trunk (pretty easy to do), and carefully bending the relay socket contacts to make better contact with the relay and cleaning the contacts good mechanically. If you search the forums you will find other cases of folks with the same issue. In my case, it was a connectivity problem with the socket which was easily fixed (probably due to the coil-side contacts being a little too loose). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Rockster - yes, same behavior. getting gas was an example for time. It has happened other times as well!

Thanks all! Lots of stuff to explore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all, I have a 2012 RT that I have had for 18 months or so.
A few times now in the last couple weeks if I take a trip with a short stop, like getting gas, the car won't start. I use the push-button and it will crank and crank for the ten seconds. If I pull the push-button and use the key it has the same behavior. If I wait 8-10 minutes it starts right up. So it seems like something is overheating.
If I tap or really press the gas while trying to start it doesn't make a difference.

Shops near me all have massive waiting periods, maybe from everyone's cars sitting for months with no work, so I am wondering if there is something I can check/do on my own. Thanks!
I have similar issue with my 2012 RT. Car would do long crank several times. After 4 or 5 times it would crank. Doesnt happen often. Dealer said it was fuel pump so changed that out. Weeks later happened again and they said it was fuel pump relay so they changed that. Happened again the other day and car is back at the dealer. They don’t seem to know what it is. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
386 Posts
I have similar issue with my 2012 RT. Car would do long crank several times. After 4 or 5 times it would crank. Doesnt happen often. Dealer said it was fuel pump so changed that out. Weeks later happened again and they said it was fuel pump relay so they changed that. Happened again the other day and car is back at the dealer. They don’t seem to know what it is. Very frustrating.
They are just doing what most dealers do. Dodge has a a nice flow chart for problems and symptoms and they are following it changing one part at a time. What is going to be really frustrating is when they get to the end of that if it does not fix your problem. Welcome to the parts shotgun. I hope you find a mechanic that will actually troubleshoot for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts