Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2011 RT 6 speed. Just picked up the original car I wanted. 2012 RT plus in Toxic orange. Paid half the price of the 2011. The 12 wasnt running right, I knew something had let go in the upper end of motor. Found a cracked head in the area of where the rocker rails sit. I know I'm going to need a used or reconditioned head. If anyone can help me with a parts list and hopefully inexpensive places to pick up parts that would be great. I have been lurking around this site soaking up information. Thankyou.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,536 Posts
You can pick-up new cylinder head cores for a decent price but probably be better to find used low mile head(s). Summit sells the cometic gasket kit for the top end. If you are going through the trouble of stripping down the top end, might want to consider installing a cam and headers.

For parts list I usually use the steve white (supporting vendor) or mopar giant site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'm considering the cam. But I'm on a super tight budget. I believe the car may be straight piped, not sure. Have not had a chance to look underneath yet. Goal is to get it right, registered and running so I can get out of the 2011. If I had a big bank account I would replace everything including timing chain, water pump and such. The car has 72k on the odometer. If it werent for the previous owner trying to drive it like his 08 vette with modded everything under hood, it would probably be my daily cruiser now. But it did allow me to buy the car at 7500 dollars.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
5,536 Posts
An inexpensive cam that should give HP gains is the 6.4 cam. Honestly, now is the time to put a cam in otherwise it is a lot of work to put one in later.

Super tight budget then get used low mile heads...I would replace as a pair and probably cheaper to source gaskets through rockauto...although steve white does give a discount to CT members.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Car-part.com will show you what’s available at local wrecking yards and how much you can expect to pay for the used part in question.

Not sure if you can find a single cylinder head for sale through there, but at the very least you can get a list of local yards to call up and talk to someone about your special need(s) and see if they can do anything for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Perhaps its best to get a head from the dodge web site and have all of your valve train moved over. Just do the minimum and a junkyard head may still be cracked of getting ready too. A new head is a much better deal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps its best to get a head from the dodge web site and have all of your valve train moved over. Just do the minimum and a junkyard head may still be cracked of getting ready too. A new head is a much better deal.
I have been thinking about doing that. Just have to sell the 11 RT so I have money to do the repairs and a few other things....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts