Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off my car is modified pushing just south of 700 wheel hp and tq on the stock clutch trans and diff (motor forged with goodies). This morning I gave it the 5 min forged engine warm up before driving off, I always drive like a grandma till its warmed up. Jumping on freeway granny shifting from 3rd to 4th I feel a slight pop from the back end then feels loose going into 5th when on the gas no grinding no vibration no noise sounds normal but let off the gas while in gear I get a howel almost sounds like a tire is rubbing but i dont have any tire rub. Didn't put it on the ramps yet but did poke around for leaks didn't see any , no oil in the rims. Car has 17 k on it I never serviced the diff (shame on me I know better) any thoughts or things to check before I pop the cover off. Out of all the wrenching I've done on cars never really disassembled diffs before any advice would be great thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,087 Posts
your diff wouldn't need lubricant change until 48K (or 24k under severe service)

the Getrag diffs aren't known for having great durability. They all seem to start whining or howling eventually, even if used carefully.

I had mine with noisy carrier bearings by 41k and it was replaced under warranty.

I don't know if anyone offers parts for rebuild - otherwise its a matter of replacing it with a new unit

·
Super Moderator
17,087 Posts
Won't be shocked if it's done if it is will install hellcat diff
the '15+ ZF diff isn't a direct bolt in - the mounting points and IRS cradle are different.

so you'd have to change cradle, half shafts, diff and have a different driveshaft coupler as the ZF uses a different style coupler / bolt pattern vs. the earlier Getrag design

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch was afraid of that thanks for the info hal. Gotta get back in touch with mmx see what they got for me there's got to be a better diff out there for this gen of challenger

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my car in the air today found a broken front mount not sure how iam gonna fix this diff axles and shaft seem fine

·
Registered
469 Posts
That sucks. I wonder if a good welding shop can fix that with bolting and welding?

You said you increased the factory HP and TQ by some 35%. Do you think this added strain on the car might have caused the broken front mount, or is this unrelated?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't be surprised with the added power but only can speculate been digging on line can't find anyone else that had this problem I almost feel like the mount is defective

·
Registered
469 Posts
As the owner of a 2012 SRT I'd be very interested in knowing what you learn and the resolution/fix. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Where is it broken at? Where the metal contacts the rubber bushing? Also those diffs howel with just a little wheel hop. I’ve been through 2 and finally broke an axel. I decided to do the DSS 9 inch. If I were to do it again I would have gone the 2015 on up swap. The DSS kit had missing hardware, out of line mounting bracket, no instructions or parts list, the one peace drive shaft vibrates from 50 to 65 mph. A rebalance did nothing to fix it and it took over 2 months to get it back.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the plate of that mount broke clean off still sandwich in-between rubber bushings. Iam gonna just weld it back on and just ordered a diff brace. Dam party340 that kit is 5500 what a shame it's not a exact fit if I ever get around to making 800 whp plus will look into hellcat diff conversion.

·
Super Moderator
17,087 Posts
I think what you see is the bushing pulled apart - those are a press-in style bushing.

the diff howling on decel - that's the excess lash with the pinion & ring gear. The Getrags use a crush bearing - get some wheel hop and they'll howl / whine.

Pretty much have to replace the unit - there's not much out there in the way of service kits.

your M6 SRT has a 3.91 ratio for that application

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hal diff is fine the howel tire rub noise was from that broken mount and found a place called unitrax in ca they know what you need to rebuild them 226 getrag

hal I hope your right about the bushing that would make it a much eaiser fix but after watching a video on yt it looks like it's should be a stamped piece of metal

·
Registered
89 Posts
It’s the metal where the bushing hits. Those are 2 peace bushings. One donut on the bottom and one on the top. The nut on top is hard to get to but it’s doable without removing anything.

Pic with poly bottom bushing.
1448818C-68E8-4478-8C91-8E1AFDB10B8C.jpeg

9 inch jacked up bracket that lead to a failure because the bushing was so close to the diff I could not install the proper bottom washer.
041D4A62-8CE8-49FC-8ECD-A008FB022EA5.jpeg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure where your going with it are you saying I don't need to weld your mount looks intact from the pics you posted mine the bottom broke clean off hanging in between rubber bushings

·
Registered
89 Posts
You do need to weld it. Those are not press in bushings. You will need to remove the top and bottom bushing before welding or you will melt them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup I gotta apologize when I typed that last night I missed the obvious (had a few) will definitely have to remove diff and bushings to get the weld all the way around it. Sucks it's gotta sit 2 weeks before I can get to it

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So this was not as hard as I thought it would be,, put the car on the lift tonight , unmount the diff let it rest on Exhaust amd a tranny jack , sand/grind mount.. weld it back toghter rattle can black paint, reassemble then add performance development diff brace done !!! Took it out driving feels great rear end much stiffer no tire hop, no weird noises i know its only been a few hrs but it feels like a win
20210630_171914.jpg
20210630_172006.jpg
20210630_180615.jpg
20210630_215222.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts