Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 27,000 mile used SRT8 in December of 2014. I thought I loved the vehicle and it performed fairly well until 53,000 miles. I kept up the maintenance even doing the 30,000 Dodge dealership check up which was severely overpriced at 850.00. It recently started getting a check engine light. I had reputable repair place take it apart. Note I have been taking my vehicles to these guys for 15 years and they bend over backwards for me. They took the engine apart to get to check the valves, springs, and lifters. They observed that one of the cam lobes and the lifter in cyclinder #1 was worn out. They did this for free as they recommend I take the vehicle to Dodge to check on warranty. I took the vehicle to Gillman Dodge in Houston and they charged me 580 to do the same engine breakdown my mechanic did for free. The dealership also stated that the cam and all lifters need to be replaced. Cost is 4200.00. This is insanity. I have since called the Dodge customer service and have been lied to twice. About getting a manager to call me be back to discuss the case. I have asked Dodge to pay only for the parts as the vehicle is beyond the 5 year portion of the powertrain warranty I stated I would pay for the labor. However no one has reached back out to me. I also own a 2015 Jeep XL and a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport which is the 5.7L V8 Hemi. I have seen many post about the poor quality of these components in the Hemi engines and wanted to warn all of you of how Dodge treats its customers. I may not be a hard core Mopar enthusiast but I am an Automotive quality engineering manager that works for a large semiconductor supplier for automotive components and I find this level of customer support complete unacceptable.

I recommend if you have a Hemi that you get the lifters and cam replaced prior to your powertrain warranty ending. As a side note Melling the company that supplies the lifters has changed the product in 2016 which indicates that an improvement needed to be made because automobile OEM do not like to make changes due to the cost of the requalification. I contemplated a Demon or Hellcat as my next vehicle but this experience has completely soured my opinion of this company. As a note i never needed an extended warranty for my Ford vehicles I owned. Guess Dodge quality is not on par with Ford.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I hope you get some sort of settlement with that. I am by no means implying you haven't done your maintenence, but cam and lifter failures are usually signs of inadequate service intervals for your usage. For example, police Chargers often destroy cams due to excessive idling, high engine hours, etc.

I see what you're saying, but Dodge/FCA might not. If you were still within warranty and you can prove you followed maintenance to the schedule, I'm sure it would be covered without any drama. Outside of warranty, it's going to be a battle. It will be up to their discretion how much they want to cover, if anything. Taking it to another shop for diag might complicate things. I hope you have all your service records and receipts, including prior to your ownership. Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You have a previously owned Challenger with over 50,000 miles on it. Very few companies offer warranties on used cars or cars with over 50,000 miles. I agree that the product should do better than that but you probably don't know the history of the car before you bought it, so I wouldn't be too quick to judge quality based on one car.

·
Registered
886 Posts
JMP, sorry you are having this bad experience and it may be more of a 6.1 HEMI issue instead of an across the board issue. I've had 4 Challengers including a V6, 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4 (waiting for that 426 (come on RS)) and I had no issues except for my 2011 SRT. I had the same issue as you had as did a few others I remember in some very old threads. I wonder just how large of an issue this has become, you may find some more details by going through some searches here but I hope you get everything worked out and stay with these wonderful cars and put this chapter behind you. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2018 SRT 392
232 Posts
You bought a used car to save a few $$ correct?Now you want a warranty? :headbang: If you have time I can tell you about my TURD 2006 Ford f-150 5.4 triton motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input

First off thanks to those with helpful input. The vehicle I bought was from a well known dealership that had performed a thorough inspection. I ran the car fax and dealership maintenance records from the previous owner then maintained the vehicle per dodge recommendation. I do understand the risks of buying used but with my previous Fords it had not been an issue.

This is the first vehicle that has this level of significant engine trouble. It’s over with as I am getting it repaired to then get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Having purchased my first Dodge in 1967, I have a reasonably good familiarity with Chrysler customer service. Quite frankly, it sucks. The new 1988 Ramcharger I purchased had a 35 gal. gas tank (one of the reasons I purchased it). When it read 1/4 full, I ran out of gas twice; however, when I filled it, I could only pump 27 gallons in. Obviously, it wasn't pulling out all the fuel. Not knowing the problem, Chrysler refused to pay (still under warranty at about 10,000 miles) to have the tank dropped to see if it was a fuel line pickup problem. When I spoke with customer service, the idiot told me if I know it won't draw the last 8 gallons I shouldn't let the tank get that low. HUH??? In 2014 we had an issue with a 2010 Town & Country. I wrote a letter asking a question to which their reply was to not reply at all.

I have owned many of their cars over the years; but, I sure wouldn't buy one because of their superior customer service because they don't have superior customer service. I lo

I hate to say it; but, I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for any help from FCA.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Challenger group I'm a part of on FB I think has seen this issue as well with a couple members (cam/lifter going to shit).

I wonder for those who questioned the maintenance the OP had done, or the previous owner for that matter, what sort of neglected maintenance could cause a similar type of failure?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I understand your frustration. 50k is pretty low to be having these issues, that said, all mechanical things can fail-even good designs.

You say that you “offered” to let dodge cover the parts. Why would they? You’re outside warranty-not only on miles but on time as well. Period. They owe you nothing.

Part of buying used, you accept some risk on the use/abuse side.

Regardless, hope you get things worked out.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Isn't Ford the same company that has had ongoing cam phaser issues? A certain knocking sound comes to mind. Or "Death rattle" as it's referred to.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I purchased a 27,000 mile used SRT8 in December of 2014. I thought I loved the vehicle and it performed fairly well until 53,000 miles. I kept up the maintenance even doing the 30,000 Dodge dealership check up which was severely overpriced at 850.00. It recently started getting a check engine light. I had reputable repair place take it apart. Note I have been taking my vehicles to these guys for 15 years and they bend over backwards for me. They took the engine apart to get to check the valves, springs, and lifters. They observed that one of the cam lobes and the lifter in cyclinder #1 was worn out. They did this for free as they recommend I take the vehicle to Dodge to check on warranty. I took the vehicle to Gillman Dodge in Houston and they charged me 580 to do the same engine breakdown my mechanic did for free. The dealership also stated that the cam and all lifters need to be replaced. Cost is 4200.00. This is insanity. I have since called the Dodge customer service and have been lied to twice. About getting a manager to call me be back to discuss the case. I have asked Dodge to pay only for the parts as the vehicle is beyond the 5 year portion of the powertrain warranty I stated I would pay for the labor. However no one has reached back out to me. I also own a 2015 Jeep XL and a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport which is the 5.7L V8 Hemi. I have seen many post about the poor quality of these components in the Hemi engines and wanted to warn all of you of how Dodge treats its customers. I may not be a hard core Mopar enthusiast but I am an Automotive quality engineering manager that works for a large semiconductor supplier for automotive components and I find this level of customer support complete unacceptable.

I recommend if you have a Hemi that you get the lifters and cam replaced prior to your powertrain warranty ending. As a side note Melling the company that supplies the lifters has changed the product in 2016 which indicates that an improvement needed to be made because automobile OEM do not like to make changes due to the cost of the requalification. I contemplated a Demon or Hellcat as my next vehicle but this experience has completely soured my opinion of this company. As a note i never needed an extended warranty for my Ford vehicles I owned. Guess Dodge quality is not on par with Ford.
I sympathize with your unfortunate situation -- serious internal engine problems are never fun -- but I don't see how Dodge owes you anything.

The car is out of warranty. The only thing that might get you some help is if Dodge for some reason offers you something for "goodwill". It is my limited experience over the years that auto maker goodwill is in very short supply. The warranty ends and that's that, with very very rare exceptions. BTW, the few times I have asked for goodwill (and failing to get any) my understanding is this has to come from the dealer who asks the factory and in some way I'm sure has to make a case that justifies this goodwill.

Based on what you wrote I am under the impression that while you had the 30,000 mile check up done at the dealer you had the car serviced at all other times at another shop, an indy shop I take it. So the dealer has to submit a request to Dodge that reads something like "Customer X bought a used car, had it serviced almost entirely at an indy shop, now reports a cam lobe flat -- confirmed by tear down at dealer -- and wants new cam and lifters". Not the strongest of good will cases.

Might add that your experience and comments by others who mention you are not alone in experiencing a cam lobe/lifter problem sort of makes it a clearer why Dodge says to use for some of its higher performance engines an oil that meets with some specification that addresses the oil's ability to protect the engine against the ravages of idling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts