Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I put a deposit down on a 2012 6 speed SRT8 this weekend. Black with silver stripes. My first Dodge product. I'm a Chevy guy and the new Camaro just does not do it for me. Should have the SRT8 in my garage in a week. Can't wait to get it home! Unfortunately I live in the snow belt near Syracuse so I won't be able to drive it until April or May.

I want to install a Magnaflow exhaust. I don't like the sound of the Corsa's. I have Billy Boats on my Vette which I like but I think the Magnaflows sound better on the Challenger (at least from what I've heard on the Internet). I have a Magnaflow system on my pickup and like it a lot. I think I want the Magnaflow Comp Series, part #16886 which reuses the OEM square tips. I think the Street Series would not be loud enough for me.

Has anyone installed this system (16886) on their SRT8? Were the OEM square tips hard to get off the factory pipes and did they fit properly on the Magnaflow system?

The big question is does the Comp Series drone with the 6.4? I'd like something a bit loud, but very little or no interior drone. Tell me about your installation experience and what you think about the Comp Series pipes.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
well i don't have a 6.4 i have a 6.1

mine is a 6 speed car.. i don't have any drone.. some say the automatic cars do.. i know the cars with mds do for sure. i have the comp kit and i bought tips from magnaflow.. the tips arn't hard to get off. just take a little bit.. they are a ball and socket set up.

drone is very very subjective.. one person does not think it is droneing.. the other says AHH it is horrible lol.

if you are doing the install yourself a couple suggestions.
1. use wd-40 on all the rubber hangers. it will help with getting the exhaust hangers out.
2. plan on several hrs. taking the factory out and putting this one.
when and if you install this.. put it all on and then as you install.. take a mallet and tap all the pipes from the back to the front to make sure they are as far forward as possible.. then the last set of pipes at the rear you can if you need to adjust around you can there.

The hardest part for me is the tips.. i wanted them perfect. and spent ALOT of time making sure they were where i wanted them.

you will be happy with the sounds.. i like mine alot.

chris

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
One thing to keep in mind also after the initial install. Once warmed up the pipes will move around so be prepaired to have to go back and adjust and retighten a couple times

sent from mobile device

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Magnaflow

I had the competition series on my 2010 SRT8 6 speed, excellent quality and sound. No drone with the 6 speed I can't speak for the auto? I agree drone is subjective, on my SRT Core 392 Automatic I just installed a Pypes Race Pro system which is supposed to have some drone, it sounds great no drone. I like the Magnaflow X pipe the best.
Have fun, Dave.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I too had this on my 6.1; debated it on the 6.4. The exhaust mellows out after some miles. I remember saying that I wanted something slightly more aggressive after I had it on there for awhile. Have you heard Zoomers?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I just love my magnaflow comp series.
The best part, they sound even better when they break in at about 1000 miles.
Mines a manual as well and don't have drone. Very balanced system.
As for installation, be prepared to spent some time and don't tighten things up until you have aligned everything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
RKP000, I listened to a couple dozen exhausts on the internet and at car shows before making up my mind, and ended up buying the Magnaflow 16886. I haven't installed it yet, as I am dealing with a nasty flu, but will as soon as I am up and around again. FYI, I bought mine off of ebay for $900 brand new with free shipping. I made a best offer of $800, and after a counteroffer at $950, the seller agreed to $900. Much cheaper than any other price I've seen.

- Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your comments. Challenger Talk is great! I've found the Magnaflow system 16886 for $1,070. I will shop a little more.

Rob

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. Challenger Talk is great! I've found the Magnaflow system 16886 for $1,070. I will shop a little more.

Rob
Call yes call Maryland speed and get a price on the phone. They offer free shipping and last time I inquired about the 16886 for a friend they quoted me 800. But that was a few months ago. They are a supporting vendor here and have excellent customer service. Bought a lot of stuff from them and no complaints.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a Magnaflow 16886 system on Ebay. They accepted my $900 offer. It's on the way, system should be here Thursday. Can't wait to install it and hear how the new pipes sound!

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I appreciate it!
Rob

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I found a Magnaflow 16886 system on Ebay. They accepted my $900 offer. It's on the way, system should be here Thursday. Can't wait to install it and hear how the new pipes sound!

Thanks for all the replies to my post. I appreciate it!
Rob
Congrats, Rob. We probably bought it from the same eBay vendor!

- Rob

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Rob I got the Comp system on my '13 6 Spd 392. Just awesome. The only problem I had was removing the stock "X" pipe. It was clamped AND TACK welded on top to the down pipe. So a cold chisel came in handy. As far as the OEM tips, undue the clamps then give it a gentle bend with your hand and the tip will come right of. Someone mentioned to use WD40 or oil on the rubber grommets-DONT! The oil over time will deteriorate the rubber giving you a loose fit. It will never wash off because, well, it's oil. Use soapy water. I used a sponge and squeezed the soapy water over the grommets and it worked well. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Rob I got the Comp system on my '13 6 Spd 392. Just awesome. The only problem I had was removing the stock "X" pipe. It was clamped AND TACK welded on top to the down pipe. So a cold chisel came in handy. As far as the OEM tips, undue the clamps then give it a gentle bend with your hand and the tip will come right of. Someone mentioned to use WD40 or oil on the rubber grommets-DONT! The oil over time will deteriorate the rubber giving you a loose fit. It will never wash off because, well, it's oil. Use soapy water. I used a sponge and squeezed the soapy water over the grommets and it worked well. Good luck.
Hi, any drone at all? I have a 13 srt 6 spd too. I was wondering between the comp and street series. I want to do highway trips but don't want annoying exhaust but I like some noise when you stomp on it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Call yes call Maryland speed and get a price on the phone. They offer free shipping and last time I inquired about the 16886 for a friend they quoted me 800. But that was a few months ago. They are a supporting vendor here and have excellent customer service. Bought a lot of stuff from them and no complaints.

I can second that. I bought some mid pipes and priced out some Kooks headers. Their prices were excellent and customer service was top notch. Definitely call them. You'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Hi, any drone at all? I have a 13 srt 6 spd too. I was wondering between the comp and street series. I want to do highway trips but don't want annoying exhaust but I like some noise when you stomp on it. Thanks

Your going to have some drone with any exhaust. ANY. I have a 2002 Chevy S10 with a four cylinder and that drones when under slight load. Do your self a favor, go,with the competition series. I promise you you will not regret it. It's not annoying at all. Sounds real good when you down shift and romp on it or just rowing through the gears. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Your going to have some drone with any exhaust. ANY. I have a 2002 Chevy S10 with a four cylinder and that drones when under slight load. Do your self a favor, go,with the competition series. I promise you you will not regret it. It's not annoying at all. Sounds real good when you down shift and romp on it or just rowing through the gears. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I don't know. I had bad drone with my hybrid stock setup. Now with my DynoMax VT I have no drone at all. So not sure that statement is entirely true.

Though I do agree with using the competition series if you go Magnaflow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks All!

Thanks teddyp and all the others for your comments. Pipes will go on soon but due to living in the snow belt in upstate NY I won't be able to try them out until late April or early May. Come on spring!!!

Rob

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Thanks teddyp and all the others for your comments. Pipes will go on soon but due to living in the snow belt in upstate NY I won't be able to try them out until late April or early May. Come on spring!!!

Rob

I hear ya! I'm on Long Island myself. Good luck brother.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts