Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's another "prediction" thread, but I wanted to tailor this to suspension... I know it'll get hijacked, and that's fine, but lets hear some ideas...

The 2011 Challenger has been equipped with recalibrated suspension components (shocks, camber, steering attachment points and ratio). With the 2012 Charger SRT8 getting adaptive dampening controls (Auto and Sport modes), what are your feelings on the possibility the Challenger will also get this awesome upgrade next year?

I'm a big fan of the HP/TQ, but I'm just about as concerned with vehicle handling... how it takes a curve, turn-in, body roll, etc. I know the SRT8's aren't Lotus', but they are marketed (and do a good job of) being an overall well performing vehicle... and the 2012 Charger SRT8's suspension is a VERY strong indication of this. These cars aren't purpose-built drag cars like many tend to equate them to (hence the terminology being thrown around that they are "grand touring" vehicles).

*the new JGC's can be optioned with dampening control as well, FYI.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Subscribing. I think pretty slim chance for 2012. Maybe in a couple of years if dodge is still making the Challenger.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would think that with the Charger offering these bits, that adapting them to the Challenger would be quite elementary... kind of plug and play. The R&D is already done and its in production.

The JGC's also can be optioned with airbags or some other ride height control to adjust ride height depending on the terrain or "Sport" mode with the suspension controls... the new JGC's actually rise and fall automatically. VERY COOL (and useful) tools. Put one of those into "sport" mode and the thing hunkers down and the dampening adjusts.

What more appropriate way to apply these tools than on a Sport/Muscle car?!?! It'd be a shame if Dodge didn't use these items on all of their performance vehicles.

So will this be another example of Dodge coming close and falling short or will they step up to the plate? Heck, even adding thicker sways and a couple strut braces from the factory would change the dynamics of the car, and cost very little!

I mean, come on... if Dodge isn't in the game to WIN the HP war, then they should AT THE VERY LEAST make the SRT's suspension incredible. No?!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I feel your pain. I would love to see this too. I have read from many posts and from good reliable sources. No big changes for 2012. More speakers and a bigger amp looks like about it. 6.5 inch screen on radio max also. Sorry. They don't advertise the challenger like the do the charger either. I don't get it. I would think you would make more profit on the challenger but they do sell a lot of chargers. Maybe a volume thing. Rambling, sorry

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
RS already said very few changes...id just look for them to steal the IE's grill and interior SS trim...thats all im thinking....a few new colors, but even that looks very limited...

im still wondering if there will be a Mopar 11 ?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just boggles my mind... MANY SRT owners get some suspension work/mods done to their cars for handling purposes... Dodge has the solutions in house, and they're holding back again. Sad.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Didn't mean to start off the suspension track with interior stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
...the new JGC's can be optioned with dampening control as well, FYI.
The system in the 2011 Grand Cherokee is an air suspension system, very different than the dampening system in the 2012 Charger SRT8. The 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 will have the same dampening system (no air suspension) as the Charger.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The system in the 2011 Grand Cherokee is an air suspension system, very different than the dampening system in the 2012 Charger SRT8. The 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 will have the same dampening system (no air suspension) as the Charger.
Ok, for ride height... but I looked under the hood of a new JGC and there were electrical wires going to the top of the coilovers... ala: Tein coilovers with electronic dampening control motors on each coilover screw.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
The Charger adjustable suspension may appear in the upcoming years on the Challenger...

Now that the full Keyless Go functions that were available on the 300C now appear on the 2011 Challenger, I'd expect more features (rain sensing wipers, memory power seat settings, etc) may be incorporated as time goes by - I don't expect any significant body style changes, however.

If the model continues beyond 2014, it may likely have a major re-work away from the Daimler sourced suspension/electrical designs to something in-house or shared from Fiat, although larger RWD cars don't factor in on their product line much at the present. There would probably be some re-styling along the way as well when/if a replacement comes along.

Even GM has acknowledged that the future Camaro will be smaller and lighter than the current Zeta-platform its is based upon to the Alpha-platform...

·
Registered
41 Posts
After just completing the SRT Experience I can tell the difference in the 10 Challenger and 11 Challenger.

Bump steer is gone.
Increased camber works well with the tighter turning radius.
Smaller wheel allows much better control.

The 6.4 horsepower comes much earlier and definitely noticed on the road course.

We had Charger R/T's/SRT's, Jeep SRT's, 300c SRT's and Challenger 6.1/6.4. All automatics and your are encouraged to tap shift but will be sent home if you turn ESP off.
The Viper was only for ride along.

The SRT experience is included with you purchase of a SRT model. The Experience is well run by professional drivers who share a ton if info.

They mentioned 20,000 SRT's sold last year and only 4,000 took the SRT Experience program.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts