Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a "thump" noise in the rear of the car that is very noticeable especially when shifting gears at lower speeds/lower rpms, mostly 1st to 2nd. But other times as well when pressing/depressing the clutch. I just got it back from having the dealer look at it and all is "normal" as i'm apparently not shifting at optimum times :icon_confused:.....I can also replicate the noise while standing still in 1st gear by just pressing and depressing the clutch really quickly. Opinions, please. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not convinced that any of this is normal...

·
Registered
269 Posts
well, my car sure as hell doesn't do that... you can hear the clutch engaging, but it doesn't sound like a thump...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There's a "thump" noise in the rear of the car that is very noticeable especially when shifting gears at lower speeds/lower rpms, mostly 1st to 2nd. But other times as well when pressing/depressing the clutch. I just got it back from having the dealer look at it and all is "normal" as i'm apparently not shifting at optimum times :icon_confused:.....I can also replicate the noise while standing still in 1st gear by just pressing and depressing the clutch really quickly. Opinions, please. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not convinced that any of this is normal...

Mine does it too and the manual says it's normal. Something about our "high performance" drivetrain is what it said???

It is annoying, though. Sounds like something rolling around in the trunk to me. I have a feeling it's the driveshaft?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine does it too and the manual says it's normal. Something about our "high performance" drivetrain is what it said???

It is annoying, though. Sounds like something rolling around in the trunk to me. I have a feeling it's the driveshaft?
thanks, I missed that in the manual. Ill look at that now. And yes, definitely sounds like the driveshaft.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have it too, its due to the amount of play they put into the pinion/ring gear. Also we have several areas where slop exists such as, yoke, carrier bearing, pinion/ring gear, rear axles/cv joints.

So what happens is all the points have some play, when they unload and then re-load all that play builds up giving you the noise you hear.

I am not sure how much play the 08/09 cars with the 215mm rear have but the cars with the 226mm rear seem to have it across the board.

·
Super Moderator
14,555 Posts
Its likely the differential moving against the bushings where its mounted to the IRS cradle.

If you get off/on clutch abruptly, it will make that clunk sound.

If you're smoother in your transitions, it minimizes it or almost none at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had this sound on literally every higher performance north american vehicle I've ever owned- that covers all the big three. In the Corvette, it sounds and feels like it's under your butt. I couldn't have put a reason to it- so thanks to the posters that can- but I've gotten used to it being "normal". (Seems like it should be something they could engineer out, though)

·
Registered
213 Posts
My sound seem to come from the rear right side.

My "thunk" sound seem to come from the rear right side. I think it must be something loose in the suspension? It only happens when I engage the clutch quickly applying significant power. I want to jack it up and see what may be loose. I don't know if a dealer would care to look for any sound like this unless something falls off the car.
cR

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yup! Mine does it too (14 6spd blacktop). So did two if the cars I test drove. Not sure why but like the poster above said, if I'm in a parking lot it's REALLY noticeable. Pretty sure it's the two piece drive shaft. Personally I don't think it can be "good" when it does it but I don't think its anything to get overly concerned about. We have a ford dump truck at work that does it too and it's a 99 with no issues. Well at least no issues with the driveshaft, clutch, or rear diff.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I looked in the manual and it says nothing of the sort unless you can quote it and tell me where. Here's what it does say, p266, which is unrelated to a thump or clunk noise from the rear. "• Due to the high performance nature of your drivetrain, you may hear your transmission. This can be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in NEUTRAL with the clutch engaged (clutch pedal released), but it may also be heard when driving at low engine RPM. Also, this may be more noticeable when the transmission is warm. This is a normal condition and is not an indication of a problem with your clutch or transmission."

Hearing your transmission is different than a clunk or thunk and jolt... in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
DN,

You are correct, thanks.

I was responding with info from memory. I used 3 question marks to emphasize my comment may not be exactly what I had read in the manual.

As it turns out, the clunky sound was in fact the play in the drive train and is normal.

I no longer have an RT with the 6 speed. I have a SRT8 A5 and there is no clunking sounds.

Have a great day!

Steve

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Every manual trans car I have ever owned/driven does this to some extent. It's normal to hear this because automatic cars have a torque converter to absorb the pinion backlash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts