Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I live in Massachusetts and this is my Challengers first winter. Unfortunately, I do not have a garage so it has been left outside for the several snow storms we have had. I noticed yesterday when I went to fill up my tank, that the Fuel Cap door is chipped off (please see attached pictures). The black is only a quarter way left on the cap. I bought this car January 2014, brand new (in Fort Lauderdale FL). I now have moved to Boston and have only put 6,600 on the car. Do you think I can have a Dodge dealership replace the Fuel Door at no cost for me? Or would you recommend that I just purchase one online and install it myself. I am pretty handy but by no means mechanic status. I love my car and I am a perfectionist and to me this is not ok. Can anyone please help me out and give me some recommendations! Thank you all so much.

(I attached 2 pictures, one original and one current. The chrome/plastic has peeled off, that I believe was due to the ice. I took the photos at night so please excuse the lack of quality).

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe the same thing happened to mine. The "FUEL" emblem started peeling so I replaced it with one I ordered online. I can't tell if the whole fuel door is messed up on yours though. If it's only the emblem, it can be removed easily with a heat gun and replaced. If you need a whole new door and it isn't under warranty I would just buy one and put it on yourself. It's super simple.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,926 Posts
I would see the dealer first. If that doesn't work, just buy a replacement and install it yourself.

Here are the easy steps:

1. Remove the fuel door.
2. Remove the cap and strap that holds it in place.
3. Grasp the "cup" from behind and push it outward. It just pops out.
4. Squeeze the two sides together where at the cap hinge’s former location. The liner will pop right out.
5. Position the new fuel door assembly (from the outside) and simply snap it into place. There are no screws.
Ensure the rubber grommet fits nicely over the fuel tube.

The entire process should only take 5-10 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts