Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

The previous owner of my 2013 Rallye Redline Challenger replaced the OEM halogen headlights with LEDs, but wired them in a weird way. Currently, they are wired to the jumper cable port attached to the fuse box in the engine bay. I’ve started to have problems with the passenger side headlight going out and I can’t figure out what the issue is.

Initially I thought the issue was the relay overheating and shorting the light because it would turn on when the car was cold started, but would not turn on if the engine was at temperature. Now, it will turn on if it’s the first time the light is turned on for the day (ie, parking in a garage), but will not any subsequent time until an extended period of time between powering on. And when it does turn on it only stays on for a few minutes before turning off.

Really what I would like is to replace them with OEM headlights and have them wired through the fuse box again to save problems when I trade it in, but in the meantime I just want my headlights to work. Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
Are you running any sort of anti flicker module, if not that might help prevent from blowing the LEDs out as it conditions the power feed to the LED. Also, how exactly are you wiring the bulbs? On my 2015 I tried wiring some LED switch backs with their recommended wiring suggestion and it turns out on my particular year using their wiring would cause intermittent operation.

I also had LED running lights from Diode Dynamics on my JGC and one would usually blow out just before the warranty expired. DD sent me a new one and shortly after the other one blew. I now have LED fog lights on my 2015 from DD and so far they have lasted for a couple of years. Basically it seems some designs last longer than others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you running any sort of anti flicker module, if not that might help prevent from blowing the LEDs out as it conditions the power feed to the LED. Also, how exactly are you wiring the bulbs? On my 2015 I tried wiring some LED switch backs with their recommended wiring suggestion and it turns out on my particular year using their wiring would cause intermittent operation.

I also had LED running lights from Diode Dynamics on my JGC and one would usually blow out just before the warranty expired. DD sent me a new one and shortly after the other one blew. I now have LED fog lights on my 2015 from DD and so far they have lasted for a couple of years. Basically it seems some designs last longer than others.
I’m not 100% but I don’t think so, there’s a fuse for each bulb but I don’t know what an anti-flickering module would look like to know if they’re there. In terms of wiring, there’s an O-ring that is making contact with the base of the jumper cable port with the wires for the headlights coming out from that point. Other than that I don’t know anything for sure as I’m not the one who wired them. I got the car in 2019 from a dealer who bought it at an auction after it was repossessed. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bulb issue, because it still turns on, just not all the time and usually not for a long time.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
11,818 Posts
I’m not 100% but I don’t think so, there’s a fuse for each bulb but I don’t know what an anti-flickering module would look like to know if they’re there. In terms of wiring, there’s an O-ring that is making contact with the base of the jumper cable port with the wires for the headlights coming out from that point. Other than that I don’t know anything for sure as I’m not the one who wired them. I got the car in 2019 from a dealer who bought it at an auction after it was repossessed. I don’t think it’s necessarily a bulb issue, because it still turns on, just not all the time and usually not for a long time.
If it is intermittent it could be one of the wiring connections is bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts