Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

First post here, I’ve done my first mod on my challenger and I’m having issues. I installed a set of halos on my headlights, I wired them to the parking lights. Specifically the white with purple stripe and black.
I first wired it to the white with tan stripe and they only activated when my signal lights activated. So I changed them over to the white wire with purple stripe.
The halos come on when I turn my light switch to the parking light they come on, when I turn my headlights on they come on. But they won’t work in auto. Not that it’s a major deal, I can just keep my headlights on all the time. But I’d like them to work in auto if anyone can tell me what I’ve done wrong.

8B926F95-BB0B-4B66-BD73-A0747FCF8E78.jpeg
CB8849B1-92D2-4717-9C63-1FC07D34B00F.jpeg
805A129A-1539-412B-BB26-F1FC8D9C2E66.jpeg

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
It sounds as though the halos are being fed power according to the parking lights’ status. If the parking lights are on, the halos will be on. If the parking lights are off, so will the halos be off. Is all that correct?

Given that, setting the headlight switch to Auto would have to illuminate the parking lights for the halos to work. Auto should turn them on at night with the headlights, thus illuminating the halos, but they aren’t needed at night obviously.

You could tap the headlights for power for the halos, but then the halos would stay on at night too, which is not ideal.

IDK, did the halos come with any instructions on what to tap for their power source?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply.

Yeah, you pretty much got it right.

I thought that they would come on all the time being wired to the parking light, cause from the research I did the parking light and daytime running light uses the same bulb. But I guess I may be wrong.

I also assumed daytime running lights would be on with the auto setting. But it seems they are not.

The instruction video I watched said they wired them to the parking lights so I did the same thing

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Well, the vehicle will use the parking lights as its daytime running lights, but only when the DRLs are enabled in the car’s computer (PCM/BCM).

Cars sold in Canada have to have the DRLs enabled, but that is not the case in the USA. Any dodge dealership service Dept should be able to enable your car’s DRLs for you, but it will likely cost an hour of labor ($120-160).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I am actually Canadian, and bought the car in Canada. But I bought the car used and have no idea where it came from. Lol. I don’t even know what’s all done with the car aside from the supercharger.
Maybe I will call up a dodge dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps the last owner bought the car in the States and brought it across the boarder and just never bothered to get them turned on. Thanks for your help anyways.
Any idea if the DRLs and headlights would come on at night time in auto?

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
They should. DRL just means the computer commands the parking lights to illuminate when the transmission is in gear, no parking brake applied, and the light sensor detects enough light outside for it to be considered daytime.

So anything sharing the power wires for those parking lights would also get energized anytime the parking lights are energized. They are energized any time the headlights are commanded on, and headlights will be on for nighttime usage, regardless of whether commanded by computer (due to Auto setting) or commanded by you via headlight switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect. Thanks a bunch for your help. Sounds like the only other issue I’m going to have a dealer turn my DRLs on. From what I’ve read it’s a chore sometimes. Lol

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,766 Posts
Look up your Window Sticker if still available, if not, the Build Sheet should be. Both will show country of origin, and original parts

For DRL info

As an aside, if you don't mind saying, what portable garage do you have? Make, model if possible. Looking for future needs with limited width. Also quality longevity. TIA

A Guy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I didn’t notice your post until now.

The tent brand is shelter logic. It’s kind of tight for the car. I believe it is 12’ W x 20’ L x 10’ H. Kind of got to park it to one side to be able to get in and out comfortably. So if you’re using it for your car, don’t expect much room for moving around. Lol. I’ve only had it up for 1 year, but it’s always closed unless the cars out to help prevent wind of destroying it.

So I had to rewire The halos cause they were flashing when driving down the road due to shitty connections. Which is just asking to get pulled over with red halos. Lol.

So I’m wired to the parking light/DRLs. The DRLs come on like they should, but it won’t power the halos. However when I turn the light switch to the parking light mode they come on. So I don’t understand. I’m tapped into the green and purple wire. I tried tapping into the green and tan wire and the halos only come on with the signal lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In case anyone cares or was curious. My mechanic told me that the DRLs are run off the high beam circuit. So that’s my issue. Guess I’ll have to turn the lights on manually in the daytime. Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts