Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey again,

So I decided to go with the Challenger R/T (automatic) after hearing feedback on my last thread. Now, I was hoping someone could help me with a couple questions about the R/T and the R/T Classic since I have found 2 cars that I am interested in potentially buying. The issue I'm having is that I'm buying it at auction and it's not clear which features each one has standard and which are part of separate packages.

I read the sticky thread at the top, the owner's manual, the Dodge website, and even watched some youtube videos, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on some of this stuff and some of the things I'm finding seems to contradict each other.

Here are my questions:

1) Other than the appearance, are there any performance or sound differences in the R/T Classic vs. the R/T? I test drove a RT Classic a while back and it almost sounded a little quieter, but it's a vague memory so I can't remember.
2) Do all R/T and R/T classic automatic transmissions in 2013 have 'Sport mode'?
3) Do they both also have the performance readings and 0-60 times on the dash? I can't tell if it's an option that's part of the electronic convenience package, or if it's part of another package, or it's just standard. If it wasn't standard, how would I know if the car had it?
4) Does the EVIC show all this stuff and if it does, is that standard?
5) Are there any additional packages / options that the R/T Classic has that the R/T doesn't?

EDIT: 6) Are there any relatively cheap ways to make the car sound a little deeper and louder without being excessive? I don't want anything too loud or crazy, but I love that muscle-car grumble sound when I hit the gas.

And lastly, are there any cool and noticeable differences with the R/T Classic and the R/T? I care more about the performance and sound of the engine/exhaust than the options, but the options are still a consideration.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

-Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would suggest you go on dodges website, you can compare models, it will give you everything that is standard and all options

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
An RT Plus is essentially the same as a RT Classic except: the classic has functional hood scoop inlets (really only for heat extraction), Classic has factory RTC side stripes with classic style "Challenger" fender badges instead of a grill badge, and the classic has upgraded wheel options over the 20 inch chrome clad wheels available on the RT and RT Plus. Now, interiors on the classic and RT Plus are identical until 2014 when the RTC came with SRT style seat covers. That's it.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
The EVIC is different with the Electronics Convenience Group and this Group is standard on Classic but optional on R/T and most base R/T's do not have it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
540 Posts
Forgot the 3.92 gears vs R/T Plus's 3.73 in the manual. I think the autos might have a 3.73 for the Classic.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
All automatic has 3.06 with Sport Mode regardless and thought the OP was comparing the Classic to the R/T, don't see R/T Plus mentioned in the OP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey again,

So I decided to go with the Challenger R/T (automatic) after hearing feedback on my last thread. Now, I was hoping someone could help me with a couple questions about the R/T and the R/T Classic since I have found 2 cars that I am interested in potentially buying. The issue I'm having is that I'm buying it at auction and it's not clear which features each one has standard and which are part of separate packages.

I read the sticky thread at the top, the owner's manual, the Dodge website, and even watched some youtube videos, but I can't seem to find a clear answer on some of this stuff and some of the things I'm finding seems to contradict each other.

Here are my questions:

1) Other than the appearance, are there any performance or sound differences in the R/T Classic vs. the R/T? I test drove a RT Classic a while back and it almost sounded a little quieter, but it's a vague memory so I can't remember.
2) Do all R/T and R/T classic automatic transmissions in 2013 have 'Sport mode'?
3) Do they both also have the performance readings and 0-60 times on the dash? I can't tell if it's an option that's part of the electronic convenience package, or if it's part of another package, or it's just standard. If it wasn't standard, how would I know if the car had it?
4) Does the EVIC show all this stuff and if it does, is that standard?
5) Are there any additional packages / options that the R/T Classic has that the R/T doesn't?

EDIT: 6) Are there any relatively cheap ways to make the car sound a little deeper and louder without being excessive? I don't want anything too loud or crazy, but I love that muscle-car grumble sound when I hit the gas.

And lastly, are there any cool and noticeable differences with the R/T Classic and the R/T? I care more about the performance and sound of the engine/exhaust than the options, but the options are still a consideration.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance,

-Mike
I had a regular 2013 RT( with the EVIC option and hood/fender stripes) to which I did the following: 20x9 Factory reproduction wheels/275 tires( more aggressive looking than the Rt classic), a Corsa "Sport" cat back exhaust ( this exhaust sounds really great without being tooooo loud and when you get on it screams. I put Challenger retro style RT badges on spoiler. And I put functional hood scoops on. So at this point I couldn't see what was better about the RT classic to me anyway. I was very proud of my RT. But then I found a 2011 392 I.E. with 9500 miles and the rest is History. But you can make the RT as cool as the RT classic IMO.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Forgot the 3.92 gears vs R/T Plus's 3.73 in the manual. I think the autos might have a 3.73 for the Classic.
All manual RTs get 3.92 gears including "Classic" models. There have been a couple of oddball mistakes but every 5.7 manual is supposed to get the 3.92 gears.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Every manual with 20 inch wheels gets a 3.92, manuals with 18's like mine get a 3.73.

Ah, you're right. I stand corrected.

Was also going to mention to the OP that all manuals come standard with posi rear ends. It's an option on the Auto so make sure you look for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts