Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently test drove a 2013 Challenger srt core. During the test drive the engine was knocking like it had a serious case of detonation. Well upon return to the dealership, it was confirmed tit had a bad mds lifter. The dealership said they would replace the motor but it was on back order. My question is, does anyone know about how long a back ordered 6.4 392 will take to come in?

And, will it be the 470 hp engine, or the 485 hp engine?

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
I recently test drove a 2013 Challenger srt core. During the test drive the engine was knocking like it had a serious case of detonation. Well upon return to the dealership, it was confirmed tit had a bad mds lifter. The dealership said they would replace the motor but it was on back order. My question is, does anyone know about how long a back ordered 6.4 392 will take to come in?

Run away from that one. There's too many nice Challengers with no issues on the used market.

Hard to tell what the car will be like or look like after an engine swap.

Just not worth the chance.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I agree....not worth the hassle. So many good deals out there..just take your time..you'll find the right one soon enough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe it's just a 485 HP motor. In 2015 they started using electric steering and gained 15 HP getting rid of the power steering pump.

By the way, what does core mean?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,732 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe it's just a 485 HP motor. In 2015 they started using electric steering and gained 15 HP getting rid of the power steering pump.

Core is the Engine block in this case. Like when you buy a brake cylinder they want the old one so they can refurbish it. Wait sorry thought talking about the motor

·
Registered
52 Posts

Wait a minute. If you have a good deal on it because of mileage and you put a new motor in and do not charge anything more might be a great deal. Have them check the rest of it make sure nothing else is bad. A new motor is not cheap.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts

Core stands for SRT Core, as in the models produced in 2013-2014 I believe. They were a low optioned version of the SRT8 car at the time and had the 392 engine with 470hp.

In 2015 the Scat pack was introduced and replaced the Core model. The 392 jumped up to 485hp at that time due to some changes (active intake runners, active exhaust, electric steering, etc).

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts

I would pass on that one. You're relying on the dealership doing a good job on the install of the new engine. We all know how many dealerships operate...not so well.

I'd continue searching for a better car with the original engine. 2013 is only 6 years old, should be tons out there with low miles in great shape with all original parts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Core is the Engine block in this case. Like when you buy a brake cylinder they want the old one so they can refurbish it. Wait sorry thought talking about the motor
Core model is the stripper, the new age Super bee. It maybe collectible due to low numbers. Personally I would have the dealer put in a newer engine, like a Hellcrate. If you can get away with it..... A Hellephant.

I would stick with it since will be getting a new engine, the 485hp unit. But that Hellcrate is what you want. You got a clean slate, I say CHARGE!

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Core model is the stripper, the new age Super bee. It maybe collectible due to low numbers. Personally I would have the dealer put in a newer engine, like a Hellcrate. If you can get away with it..... A Hellephant.

I would stick with it since will be getting a new engine, the 485hp unit. But that Hellcrate is what you want. You got a clean slate, I say CHARGE!
A new engine won't give you the 485HP. He would still have the 470HP.

The '15+ 392 cars got the 485HP rating by having electric PS and active exhausts, along with a tune for that.

The engines are the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts