Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Challenger SXT and I want to get a CAI for it. Should I go with the Mopar or the K&N? I also want to remove the exhaust resignators and replace them with some Flowmaster 40`s. Does anyone know how much this would cost me? How much horsepower and MPG woukd I gain? Would it sound like a R/T? Would it be worth the cost?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure how much the CAI is but Flowmasters with resonator delete should run you anywhere from 300-400. Not sure if you will get much in the terms of horsepower. I have an R/T and from what I've read, our cars have pretty good flow already. The resonators are around 20-30 lbs each so there's a slight (very, very slight) weight reduction.

I just got my exhaust done yesterday and it might be in my head but my car feels a little more peppier.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
CAI wont get ya any hp and with the exhaust I personally feel it wont net you any hp as well, definitely nothing you would feel.

What ever you spend on a CAI and exhaust is just going to give you sound. It will also sound nothing like a V8, it will either sound like a V6 or 4 banger.

Ive done both mods and regretted the CAI but im pleased with my solo exhaust. The best mod is a tuner which costs as much as a mopar CAI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a K&N CAI and Solo Performance exhaust. I don't think that the car is much faster, but I definitely drive much faster. I can't keep my foot off of the gas. I still notice the slight lag that the V6 has so my next move is a new Throttle Body.

Don't expect much from the CAI and exhaust. Its basically for the sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a K&N CAI and Solo Performance exhaust. I don't think that the car is much faster, but I definitely drive much faster. I can't keep my foot off of the gas. I still notice the slight lag that the V6 has so my next move is a new Throttle Body.

Don't expect much from the CAI and exhaust. Its basically for the sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When I installed my ported TB (after CAI & exhaust kit) the tone of the exhaust become more aggressive/full-bodied/less raspy/louder, and bear in mind I have the quiet Flowmaster Force II kit; and WOT from a 25~35mph roll became really snappy, BUT due to the fuel-adaptive-doodad-computer-thing there were still many moments when I floor it and it feels like a rolling turd. You'll still be quite happy with the ported TB in your SXT+ with that 3.06 gear, just don't expect the "problem" to go away completely.

IF your main concern is that embarassing lag, I feel the diablo tuner made the biggest difference, in addition to making everything louder/sound better/drive better. (My mods chronologically: exhaust, CAI, ported TB, ported intake, tune)

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
slant6, mopar or K&N? stormtrooper is right the K&N is cheaper and you will get a few extra hp, I tracked
tested the K&N vs stock set up and the K&N was worth .10 e.t. reduction and 1 mph gain in trap speed
about 10 hp if you need to attach a hp number to the gain. The same goes for the mopar unit
( tested it too at the track)
but your wallet will be lighter and I don't like the metal tube that seems to be much hotter between
rounds at the track. Both intakes GREATLY increase exhaust tone.

Some can argue about the gains, but it's hard to argue against those who track tested the gain and
those who felt some bump in there butt dyno. However there could be some differences during total heat
soak of the entire system, I never tested stock unit vs K&N during total heat soak, it is possible the
K&N could be down some on power if car was sitting in traffic not moving. I have however hot lapped
my car (make 2 or 3 runs back to back) without much change in e.t. and mph- not enough to
loose 1mph or .10 more on e.t.

I did one hot lap over the weekend did a run ran 14.91 at 95.83 mph and got right back in line
never to let engine cool and ran a 14.94 at 95.30 mph.

I also tested the drop in K&N filter this was worth .05 e.t reduction and .5 mph gain this might
be a better choice for those looking for a little gain in power and a SLIGHT increase in exhaust tone.
Not spend a lot of dough.

rghoskins is right as well the 3.6 engine will never sound like an R/T

I have the solo catback and it is a nice sounding exhaust system maybe the best you going to
get the 3.6 to sound decent, I have about 4k now on my exhaust an it seems to be
getting a deeper tone. I'm happy with it and there is no drone.

When I talked with solo they reported a customer with about 10 hp gain over stock
but didn't say where in the hp curve this was, it has helped my car go quicker, but i had
to many changes to say for a fact it was because of the exhaust, it won't hurt thats for
sure in the power department.

mr greanheart is right the ported throttle body does increase exhaust tone, this was the first thing I
noticed when I installed the Fastman ported TB, it also smoothed out the throttle response, well
worth the upgrade, it too increase power output of the engine.

hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts