Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time it ran hot it was a cracked house . Got that fixed . The second time it was the thermostat. Now this is the third time I caught it before the light came on checked the coolant it was empty. Filled it up , 4 days later it was empty again . Filled it back up . Has not ran hot , but now the check engine light came on (which it does every once in a while , but it goes back off . ) Took it for a diagnostic test , and it failed block test 2 times. They said it’s a blown head gasket . The car usually starts to run hot when seasons change and I switch the A/C to heat , or vice versa. Can someone give me some insight ? Or advice ?

This post is about a 2013 Dodge challenger Sxt

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,545 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The first time it ran hot it was a cracked house . Got that fixed . The second time it was the thermostat. Now this is the third time I caught it before the light came on checked the coolant it was empty. Filled it up , 4 days later it was empty again . Filled it back up . Has not ran hot , but now the check engine light came on (which it does every once in a while , but it goes back off . ) Took it for a diagnostic test , and it failed block test 2 times. They said it’s a blown head gasket . The car usually starts to run hot when seasons change and I switch the A/C to heat , or vice versa. Can someone give me some insight ? Or advice ?

This post is about a 2013 Dodge challenger Sxt
You said nothing about the place that did the diagnostic test and came up with the blown head gasket diagnosis. Given the earlier overheating episodes, the missing coolant, the check engine light -- wish you have posted the codes associated with the CEL -- a head gasket is certainly possible, very possible. A cracked head is also a possible explanation, too.

If you trust the place that did the diagnosis have the car fixed there.

Or if you prefer take the car to another place, one that you have 100% confidence in, and get the diagnosis made. A blown head gasket will likely show signs of this by the spark plug's condition. An oil analysis will find anti-freeze compounds in the oil. A pressure test of the cooling system wtih no coolant can confirm a leak. The exhaust can even have the odor of anti-freeze when the engine is running.

The behavior doesn't have to be from a failed head gasket or cracked head though. A leaking hose or a leak above the coolant level which lets pressure escape can result in overheating. As for the coolant loss I had a car with a bad cooling system plastic tank cap that let water vapor escape under high temperature high pressure situations. No overheating but the system would lose "coolant" (actually the water in the coolant) over time. Not 4 days though, more like a month.
In short you need to get a high confidence diagnosis and then have fixed what is found wrong.

You need a high confidence diagnosis from a shop/dealer you would then use to get the problem addressed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts