Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ride is a 13 Daytona 5.7L, current mods in sig. 535 rwhp, 7.8 lbs with 3" pulley on stock internals.

I am starting this thread here, because frankly, 'all' of my previous performance mod ideas came from the Challenger Talk forum. It started 3 years ago with Jimmy and his 392 cam installation, then the rear end gear threads for the auto's, the 6.4L SRV intake swap and finally the Edelbrock blower threads. I picked Arrington performance to do the installation after getting quotes from several Hemi performance shops.

Build: Arrington 392 Stroker (3.922 bore x 4.080 stroke), 2618 Mahle pistons, Forged H-Beam Connecting Rods, FI-4A VVT custom grind cam, Valve job with new PSI springs & pushrods, 65 LB Injectors, API competition fuel pump, 17% ATI overdrive damper, SHR Viking transmission without Blue Tops.

Pics of the completed engine. Installation starts Monday. I should be able to post dyno charts by Friday! (I hope)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Oh snap! That's going to be a mean Charger lol. Cant wait to see the results.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to see the final numbers! April 18 I will finally be able to join you with the engine take out process.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should be awesome, why did you opt to not use the blue tops?
TKS, Ed the owner of SHR, told me that the alto clutches and kolene steels would be good up to 750 rwhp without the blue tops and that the shifts would be extra firm but not too harsh on the downshifts like some report with the blue tops.

Awesome! Can't wait to see the final numbers! April 18 I will finally be able to join you with the engine take out process.:thumbsup:
Good luck with yours! I kind of wished I had done the forged internals/blower at the same time. It wuold have saved me some money. I bet you get some great numbers with your setup.

Good Luck you are in good hands. You going down on pulley size also?
Yep, I have seen your build(s) on Arringtons website and on this forum. I think I will be keeping my Edelbrock a little longer than you did though. LOL I am keeping the 3" pulley on for now to see what the numbers look like. I like to hot rod around on the back roads here and would like to keep it around 600 rwhp.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In less than 24 hours, the old engine is out and ready for the new stroker. Arrington does not mess around. I remember using a small mopar shop for my cam and rear gears install. It took forever with all the other customers rides being brought in for stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just finished up and drove home yesterday. No codes and a perfect idle. After break in I went WOT for a short burst and saw 9 psi on my trinity reading the manifold pressure and Pratio. This cam is huge compared to the old Modern Muscle cam. I am glad I did not go down in blower pulley size. 607 rwhp/623 rwtq. Now thinking I should have put in the 3.55 gears instead of the 3.92. LOL

FYI, Arrington did a fantastic job the whole week. Continuous emails from Greg and that shop is just awesome in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just finished up and drove home yesterday. No codes and a perfect idle. After break in I went WOT for a short burst and saw 9 psi on my trinity reading the manifold pressure and Pratio. This cam is huge compared to the old Modern Muscle cam. I am glad I did not go down in blower pulley size. 607 rwhp/623 rwtq. Now thinking I should have put in the 3.55 gears instead of the 3.92. LOL

FYI, Arrington did a fantastic job the whole week. Continuous emails from Greg and that shop is just awesome in person.
Sick numbers! What's the compression ratio at? When you decide to turn up the boost or add E85 or Meth injection, that Charger will be smoking Hellcats. So the new cam is not a blower cam, right?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on your stroker build :thumbsup:

Arrington did a great build on my car front to back..........

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sick numbers! What's the compression ratio at? When you decide to turn up the boost or add E85 or Meth injection, that Charger will be smoking Hellcats. So the new cam is not a blower cam, right?
Compression is at 9.5:1. It is Arrington's blower VVT cam (225 - 235 duration @ .050. LSA is 116 and the lift is .594/.602). It rocks you in the car at idle. I have only seen one Hellcat here in Knox driving around. They must be in the garage staying clean. LOL I figured with a 17% drivetrain loss I am at 710 crank HP and 725 torque. Dave Weber at Modern Muscle told me that my drivetrain loss with the 3.92 Getrag was more like 20%. It would be interesting if I lined up against a "stock" Hellcat with this new SHR transmission. The shifts are real quick.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
we gonna need to see idle video please.
edit the specs on that cam is almost the same as the one i have in my mustang back in the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oltad5NNFc8
That sounds great. This video is after it was warmed up. It is not too loud compared to my old Mustang with the GT 500 axlebacks. My neighbor did liked the cold start when I was heading to the gym early this morning. I will have to post a vid of that tomorrow am. It is just like the cams long ago when cold. Trying to find itself and bouncing all over the place before settling down to a nice idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVCF85FxjHg

Life is good! Glad everything turned out well. Now ENJOY! Post that idle video.
Thanks, You will have to let me know what you think of the new trans. If you got the stage 4 I think you will like it. I was telling Greg about you going from a Edelbrock to a Whipple and he said he just shipped out a trans. Thinking about getting a Whipple next year if I can sell the Edelbrock.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Not the Stage 4 but the SHR "Viking" trans. Totally different animal. Very firm up shifts and quick. Not bad on down shifts. Been told by more than one gearhead that I will not "fry" this one. You will not have a problem selling the E-Force SC they are a great super charger. If I had not jumped on the "more boost" train I would still be running a Edelbrock.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not the Stage 4 but the SHR "Viking" trans. Totally different animal. Very firm up shifts and quick. Not bad on down shifts. Been told by more than one gearhead that I will not "fry" this one. You will not have a problem selling the E-Force SC they are a great super charger. If I had not jumped on the "more boost" train I would still be running a Edelbrock.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Viking trans. With your power in the 700's at the wheels it is good that you have it. Seems like something always breaks when you add more power.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Yes, your right about something breaking! Got the trans (I think) covered, got the 1400hp axles, but now I wonder about the driveshaft, u-joints, rear end, etc. It's always something else, but really I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess my greatest fear is when I get all the bases covered what will I think about then? Sell it and start over? No way! At least I've gotten a little smarter (maybe just a little) in my more semi-senior years. Got to get new rubber right now due to all that HP. Those rear 315's look likes someone as taken a grinder to the treads. I love the smell of tire smoke in mornings! (and afternoons, mid day, early evening, etc.) Life is good!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Are you seeing 9 PSI with the 3" pulley? Is that from the crank pulley being different? Also curious if you previously had the MM camshaft for FI in your car? If so, is the used cam for sale?
My E force is going back on after the 18th. The tune shop is booked lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts