Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. First time posting. I have been a proud owner of a 2013 Dodge Challenger SXT since 4-20-2015. Obviously the 5 year powertrain warranty is out now that it is 2018. I’m looking to do some upgrades. Can anyone help me decide on what upgrades will provide the most bang for my buck you could say?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome from MI! Lots of guys with a ton of knowledge on here - all depends on the budget!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Let’s say $4,000

Maybe cam it and put in long tube headers. See what the others say. Comp cam's run a couple hundred (not incl installation) and long tube headers - say Kooks maybe around 1200 (w/out install).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe cam it and put in long tube headers. See what the others say. Comp cam's run a couple hundred (not incl installation) and long tube headers - say Kooks maybe around 1200 (w/out install).

Sounds like a great idea! How much more power do you think that will provide ?? All I have really done to my car performance wise is two flow master mufflers. Just the mufflers. And a k&n cold air intake.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like a great idea! How much more power do you think that will provide ?? All I have really done to my car performance wise is two flow master mufflers. Just the mufflers. And a k&n cold air intake.

I would ask Steve White - send a pm to him and see what he thinks. Or just start a new thread asking the question and that way you'll get a forum worth of answers and advice. It varies and depends on how aggressive the tune is - good luck. But you should get substantial gains.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,040 Posts
No Headers for Dodge 3.6L Engines

The Pentastars' cylinder heads have the exhaust manifolds integrated into the head itself...or something very technical sounding like that, I can't remember the exact verbiage for the set up at the moment, but the bottom line is the exhaust manifolds are not serviceable. They are cast/built/delivered such that they cannot be removed to have aftermarket headers installed in their place.

I suppose it's a novel idea, and probably a good one, all things considered...but it's about 20 years too late IMHO. Installing headers on whatever small block chevy motor I happen to be driving at the time was THE first thing I used to do in my younger days, and it was always the BIGGEST pain in my arse to get done because <headers>.

And each time I would get it done, I would have so much trouble that I would swear on my life that I would NEVER install another set of headers on a car I drove after that...then 6 months later, I'd get some heap from my brother to drive a while, and what's the first thing I did to it? HEADERS!!

I wasn't a very bright kid now that I think about it.. :shocked:

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I suppose it's a novel idea, and probably a good one, all things considered...but it's about 20 years too late IMHO. Installing headers on whatever small block chevy motor I happen to be driving at the time was THE first thing I used to do in my younger days, and it was always the BIGGEST pain in my arse to get done because <headers>.

And each time I would get it done, I would have so much trouble that I would swear on my life that I would NEVER install another set of headers on a car I drove after that...then 6 months later, I'd get some heap from my brother to drive a while, and what's the first thing I did to it? HEADERS!!

I wasn't a very bright kid now that I think about it.. :shocked:
Have you ever installed headers on a big block E-Body Challenger? It was such a pain the buttocks, that I did it 3 times just to make sure the pain was real. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not sure how much "Bang" you're going to get out of the V-6. Kinda like trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip, as my grandpa used to say. If you've been satisfied with your V-6 so far, rather than trying to "go faster", maybe consider "going cooler". Maybe some after market wheels. Interior upgrades (leather seats or racing inspired seats). Upgrade your sound system. Some retro styling cues with striping or badging.

I have a black R/T Classic. I did some retro badging cues to pay homage to a 70 R/T Challenger.

You could put a satin black hood/roof/deck-lid wrap, some racing wheels, air-splitter chin spoiler and maybe an entire new hood (SRT hood), and make a "T/A tribute car".....without the actual T/A badges. Don't up-badge.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Dodge/Chrysler bolt ons just don’t return much hp for the dollar as opposed to the mustang, camaro and corvette world. If you really wanted a good boost in hp, look at sipercharger kits but you’ll be in the 6k plus range. But you could see low to mid 400 rwhp which is as much or more than a stock 6.4L.

I have modded LS1 and Ls2 camaro and vette with heads/cam/fast 102. I wish it was as easy and inexpensive to mod my 16 scat pack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have come to realize that performance upgrades would be a foolish idea so maybe just pay this off and get a V8 next!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have come to realize that performance upgrades would be a foolish idea so maybe just pay this off and get a V8 next!

Sorry about the previous advice - I didn't pick up that it was the V6 model. I agree with you - pay it off and sell it and go buy a new 2018 RT 5.7. Your going to love the exhaust and this will be a big improvement hp wise from the 6. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about the previous advice - I didn't pick up that it was the V6 model. I agree with you - pay it off and sell it and go buy a new 2018 RT 5.7. Your going to love the exhaust and this will be a big improvement hp wise from the 6. Good luck!

Yes for sure! There’s a used 2016 hellcat Challenger for 50k .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Once you go HEMI, you never go back. Liked the one in my Challenger so much, I bought a RAM truck with one too. The only think better than a HEMI is TWO HEMIs.

I actually sell cars for a used car dealership so I definitely know! But the prices are so high !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts