Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just traded my 2010 R/T that had the upgraded Boston sound system for a 2013 SRT8 392 with the Harman Kardon system and it doesn't sound as good? Is there some special trick to getting the HK sound system to sound better? It doesn't sound bad, but just shockingly average compared to the 3 years older, less expensive Boston system in my R/T?

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,464 Posts
I'm not sure if 2013 models were affected but my 2015 has the same system that was underwhelming. There was a service bulletin out from Dodge that a software upgrade was available. I took it in to the dealer and they performed the update. The results were 100% positive. Search the forum here and you will find many threads about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
980 Posts
I have a 13' SRT as well with the H&K system. I recently took it in and had the stereo updated, because there is a bulletin out for it. It does sound much better but still lacking in the kids and highs. The bass got deeper and there is almost too much. Compared to the mids and highs. All that said it is much improved. I would check with the dealer to see if it's had this update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will give the dealership a call. Is this something they should do for free? I bought the car used and it's not under basic warranty any more. Has about 4 months of powertrain left.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
980 Posts
Mine were not free.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What I dont like is the rattles and my bass is turned down. I enjoy turning up the radio opening the sunroof for a nice ride. That was a feature I wanted to make sure I had and feel they need to do something. I dont want to take everything apart and add sound proofing.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
980 Posts
Mine definitely seemed to rattle less after the update. The bass was still there. However, the rattle seemed to go away. I can't explain it... just seemed to work.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
What I dont like is the rattles and my bass is turned down. I enjoy turning up the radio opening the sunroof for a nice ride. That was a feature I wanted to make sure I had and feel they need to do something. I dont want to take everything apart and add sound proofing.
I had a 2013 with the HK system. That was the first car I owned that I didn't need to modify the sound system in. I loved the sound.

I just want to check in with you that you played around with the audio controls, and still aren't satisfied? I just remember I didn't like surround sound. I had slightly more power going to the rear speakers.

Where are you hearing these rattles? You have 2 sub-woofers in the trunk, so maybe something is vibrating back there? I have junk in my trunk, and yeah, it vibrates sometimes. :surprise:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a 2013 with the HK system. That was the first car I owned that I didn't need to modify the sound system in. I loved the sound.

I just want to check in with you that you played around with the audio controls, and still aren't satisfied? I just remember I didn't like surround sound. I had slightly more power going to the rear speakers.

Where are you hearing these rattles? You have 2 sub-woofers in the trunk, so maybe something is vibrating back there? I have junk in my trunk, and yeah, it vibrates sometimes. :surprise:
Only adjustments I made were turning down the bass. The rattles are coming from the overhead console like where the mirror and the sun glass holder are as well as somewhere by the passenger door.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts