Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have a 2013 R/T auto and I have noticed that the car has a severe clunk when shifting into Reverse, is this normal? I have already done a search and came up with one old thread that wasn't useful at all. It can be heard easily from the outside. I also feel a harsh shift from D to N while standing still.

I really have no idea whether this is normal or not.

I would appreciate it if anyone would shed the light on this.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my car was bought on May of this year and currently has around 10,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On cold start shifting my car from P to N,R, or D will produce a noticeable clunk along with a rpm drop and then surge. If I give it 30 seconds-minute to complete the cat cycle warm up and then shift I find its not as bad. I believe in the owners manual it states that it is normal. Depending on the severity of the clunk I would not worry to much. Seems to be a common thing. P.S. my previous car did it also. (2010 camaro)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On cold start shifting my car from P to N,R, or D will produce a noticeable clunk along with a rpm drop and then surge. If I give it 30 seconds-minute to complete the cat cycle warm up and then shift I find its not as bad. I believe in the owners manual it states that it is normal. Depending on the severity of the clunk I would not worry to much. Seems to be a common thing. P.S. my previous car did it also. (2010 camaro)

Thank you very much for the reply, appreciate it.
I had that in mind, but I've noticed that it still clunks even after a drive (mostly when shifting into R). However, this doesn't happen every single time after a drive. I'd say every 3-5 attempts. I was just wondering if this is normal on Challenger's or something that I should talk to my dealer about?

I'd appreciate any more thoughts on this, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Does this happen when parked on flat ground, an incline, both...?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this happen when parked on flat ground, an incline, both...?
It happens on flat ground. I do realize that I would feel a clunk if the car was parked on an incline and shifting it into R without the E-brake engaged but this is not what I mean when referring to the clunk (If this is what you had in mind). The clunking sound can clearly be heard from the outside.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it.

I do not trust my dealer when issues arise. I had a defected control arm (at 6,000 miles only) that they had changed after a hassle because they thought the front clunking was normal and a normal characteristic of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
It happens on flat ground. I do realize that I would feel a clunk if the car was parked on an incline and shifting it into R without the E-brake engaged but this is not what I mean when referring to the clunk (If this is what you had in mind). The clunking sound can clearly be heard from the outside.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it.

I do not trust my dealer when issues arise. I had a defected control arm (at 6,000 miles only) that they had changed after a hassle because they thought the front clunking was normal and a normal characteristic of the car.
Well, I don't know if the A5 will show similar symptoms, but I had problems with harsh shifting into gear, or sometimes the opposite as the trans would "ooze" into reverse, and it was due to a defective trans filter. It was also accompanied by a code being set (Didn't trigger a CEL, though).

Do you have another dealer not too far away that you could try?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't know if the A5 will show similar symptoms, but I had problems with harsh shifting into gear, or sometimes the opposite as the trans would "ooze" into reverse, and it was due to a defective trans filter. It was also accompanied by a code being set (Didn't trigger a CEL, though).

Do you have another dealer not too far away that you could try?
I see.. I do have a harsh feeling when shifting into N, the whole car moves a little bit. I was told by the dealer that the NAG1's are a little bit harsh when shifting gear positions. I was thinking of asking the dealer to try this in another car to see whether it has the same clunk or not.

Distance isn't an issue (It takes about 25-30 minutes to get from one end to the other in Bahrain), but switching between dealers isn't as easy as it is in the US. We have two dealers only and I would have to open a new file with the current car information at the other dealer in order to service/maintain my car. It's a bit complicated here. (Chrysler is the only company that has more than one dealer in Bahrain)

I thought I'd see if any of the other A5 guys have the same clunk before asking the dealer to try another car.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else that can possibly help me out with this?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same clunk when it's cold...let it run for a while and clunk won't be there

This is the part that had me worried, I do realize that clunks are normal when the transmission is below the operating temperature but for some reason the clunk on my car is still there after a long drive. I was cruising for three continous hours today and when I got back home the clunk was still there, still severe.

I don't recall feeling the clunk this severe a few months back when I got the car. It's a clunk along with some sort of loud "pop" sound. Not your regular pop sound when changing the gear position.

Thanks for chiming in, appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't know if it's normal or acceptable but mine only has 1600 miles and it is super
quiet, no clunks yet at all.. doesn't mean it will stay that way, mine didn't have the "tic"
early on and now it does so.....

is the clunk in the trans or the rear end?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if it's normal or acceptable but mine only has 1600 miles and it is super
quiet, no clunks yet at all.. doesn't mean it will stay that way, mine didn't have the "tic"
early on and now it does so.....

is the clunk in the trans or the rear end?
Funny that you mentioned that, I think I am hearing it from the rear end but I'll make sure today. I've never come across any threads or discussions about auto's having a clunk in the rear end when changing gear positions. I know what you mean about the "tick", mine has it too.

If the clunk is still there after hours of operation I would have it checked out. As I said before mine clunks if its cold and not warmed up but never after.

I will have it checked by the dealer by next week hopefully. I have had several issues with the car ever since I got 6 months ago but couldn't stop loving it tbh!

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update in case anyone faces this is in the future.
Turned out that my car does in fact have a severe clunk and my dealer ordered a Transmission Rebuild Kit. It was supposed to be here 3 days ago. I will call them to set an appointment to take the car in and will update you guys on what happens. Fingers Crossed!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts