Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the thread title, the instrument back lighting stopped working. All other lighting is ok.
Fuses are all good. It was suggested to me that I disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to "reboot" the system. That did not work.
Looks like I'll need a cluster. Not only are they very expensive but they are also listed as "discontinued" and "no longer available" from MOPAR outlets.
Does anyone know of a repair service for this year cluster? I've looked online but for some reason they don't repair clusters made after 2010!
Can anyone help me see again!
Walter

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
what has happened is either:

driver for the EL sheet failed
EL sheet itself failed
since it went from working to not - you don't mention dark spots forming...

the EL sheet is powered with 75 - 90v so there's a circuit that steps up the 12v to that operating voltage.

unfortunately, FCA doesn't sell cluster parts (except for the cluster lens/ mask). I wonder if there's any businesses near that repair clusters.

PS: your vehicle would be operational w/o a cluster, so if its your only vehicle...its non-op when the cluster is removed. All the electronics function together in the vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts

Not sure if a dealer can set one to correct odometer mileage?

Possibility...not pretty

A Guy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a company that repairs clusters. InstrumentClusterStore.com
I sent the cluster to them on Monday and got it back on Saturday morning.
Excellent service with updates via email and telephone.
The price was fantastic too!
InstrumentStore.com
181 Hills Creek Rd.
Wellsboro PA 16901
USA
(800) 590-2716

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts

Not sure if a dealer can set one to correct odometer mileage?

Possibility...not pretty

A Guy
the dealer can reflash the cluster to "marry" to the PCM and BCM and display the correct mileage.

Otherwise, per Federal Regs, a decal is required to be placed on the vehicle stating the odometer has been replaced and doesn't match the actual mileage of the subject vehicle

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what has happened is either:

since it went from working to not - you don't mention dark spots forming...

the EL sheet is powered with 75 - 90v so there's a circuit that steps up the 12v to that operating voltage.

unfortunately, FCA doesn't sell cluster parts (except for the cluster lens/ mask). I wonder if there's any businesses near that repair clusters.

PS: your vehicle would be operational w/o a cluster, so if its your only vehicle...its non-op when the cluster is removed. All the electronics function together in the vehicle
I was able to drive my car without the cluster . Power locks, dome light, and AC did not function but I was able to get around. Check engine lamp was lit after repaired cluster was installed but went out after three drive cycles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the dealer can reflash the cluster to "marry" to the PCM and BCM and display the correct mileage.

Otherwise, per Federal Regs, a decal is required to be placed on the vehicle stating the odometer has been replaced and doesn't match the actual mileage of the subject vehicle
Since I had my original cluster repaired, I did not have to worry about the odometer. The repair ($150) was also far less expensive than a Mopar replacement or even a used unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts