Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
So my R/T has 60k miles on it and has had the Hemi Tick for some time or I think its the Hemi Tick. I swapped the cam out about 4 k miles ago and it went quiet for a 1500 miles and then came back. I only use synthetic oil, 5w-20 and the SRT filter

Standing in front of the car hood open the injector noise is louder than the tick, I have the engine cover off. But, if I listen down by the driver's side wheel well there is a definite mechanical tap. Using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, handle in ear and blade on cyl head I can also hear the tap. I sound like a light finger nail tap on glass.

Hemi Tick???

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,032 Posts
Hey there
So my R/T has 60k miles on it and has had the Hemi Tick for some time or I think its the Hemi Tick. I swapped the cam out about 4 k miles ago and it went quiet for a 1500 miles and then came back. I only use synthetic oil, 5w-20 and the SRT filter

Standing in front of the car hood open the injector noise is louder than the tick, I have the engine cover off. But, if I listen down by the driver's side wheel well there is a definite mechanical tap. Using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, handle in ear and blade on cyl head I can also hear the tap. I sound like a light finger nail tap on glass.

Hemi Tick???
You stick that screwdriver anywhere on the engine block, valve covers, you are going to get an earful of noise, ticking to be sure.

If just standing at the front of the car with the hood open with the engine running and if the fuel injector noise is louder than other noises, including this "tick" I don't think the tick is anything to worry about, especially if you have to go to trouble of using a long screwdriver as some kind of stethoscope in order to even hear the noise above the normal din of engine noise.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
I could hear the "tick" on my '10 R/TC only from the sides of the car, coming out the front wheel wells. Noticeable when going through drive thru's. It never got worse by 42k miles.

My present SP has the same "tick", maybe a little louder, coming from the wheel wells too. 21k miles on it.

Never could hear the tick on the inside, like many have claimed that they had, on either car.

For me, I'm saying that it's a non issue, and part of the typical Gen III Hemi sound.

Reactions: PSM450

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could hear the "tick" on my '10 R/TC only from the sides of the car, coming out the front wheel wells. Noticeable when going through drive thru's. It never got worse by 42k miles.

My present SP has the same "tick", maybe a little louder, coming from the wheel wells too. 21k miles on it.

Never could hear the tick on the inside, like many have claimed that they had, on either car.

For me, I'm saying that it's a non issue, and part of the typical Gen III Hemi sound.

Yeah, when I pull it into the garage its pretty loud

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those $5 Harbor Freight mechanic's stethoscopes actually work very well. Never had much luck with the long-handle screwdriver bit.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,862 Posts
Yeah the M6 versions seem to have noisy valvetrains compared to the autos. Mine sounded like an industrial sewing machine until I upgraded the pushrods. But from my understanding the hemi tick happens usually around cold idle and in some cases lessens as the car warms up. I have seen threads where changing to a custom oil blend (forgot the company name) has apparently helped but for me all my ticking issues seemed to be push rod related. What kills me is I have a 2013 5.7 GC and it is dead quiet no matter what engine RPM range...so I was a bit surprised to hear my 2015 RT make such a racket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tick issue,tapping issue.59,876 miles.scat pack.sounds mechanical for sure.its a rocker or pushrod I bet.when I drive cautiously and push in clutch,it really taps as you take load off of engine.do I do valve train gear over on both heads to be safe,and use comp stuff or any suggestions will be awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts