Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 13 RT auto, I want to remove the resonators and possibly the mufflers. I was quoted at $80.00 to remove the resonators and $140.00 for the mufflers and resonators. I have an auto, and I want to be sure it'll sound nice. All the youtube videos show manuals. If I do get the mufflers removed should I replace them with super 10's? or Cherry bomb mufflers? I want a nice rumble and I just need a few suggestions with what I should do for that, since it is an auto I know I'll have drone but I don't mind. I just want the exhaust note to sound perfect. I was also wondering, the exhaust pipe is 2 1/4 ? 2.5 for the manuals? Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you.

This spring, my plan is to go to a custom shop, by my house, and have them remove the resonators and let me drive around for a few minutes to see how bad the drone is. If I can't stand it, I will have them just re-install.

This whole "drone" thing is difficult to hear on you tube videos and everyone has their own preference when it comes to sound and how much they can tolerate. If you spend enough time on this forum and research this, you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the same boat as you.

This spring, my plan is to go to a custom shop, by my house, and have them remove the resonators and let me drive around for a few minutes to see how bad the drone is. If I can't stand it, I will have them just re-install.

This whole "drone" thing is difficult to hear on you tube videos and everyone has their own preference when it comes to sound and how much they can tolerate. If you spend enough time on this forum and research this, you will see what I mean.
Exactly, Youtube videos always show the nice deep rumble and awesome note but hardly show the interior noise. Even worse it's all manuals. On the board members say drone is present, I can deal with that but some other members say it's harsh and decide to go back to stock. At that point confusion occurs in my mind, like are removing resonators that harsh and loud? is it worth it? should I invest into an exhaust system instead? Do they charge for the reinstall at the place you're going to? I mean I know they charge if you take it home but how about if you don't leave the shop?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I haven't asked the shop yet but even if the shop charges the same amount as the removal, its worth it me to at least try this out before I drop a lot more money on a complete system.

There's just too many different comments/opinions on this "drone" issue so I need to just experiment myself or I could wait until spring time and possibly meet up with some fellow members who have done this already. It depends on how patient I can be. :D I really want a deeper sound....LIKE NOW...but my car is pretty much staying in the garage until this snow/salt is off the roads.

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
I recently replaced my mufflers with flowmaster original 40 series. However, there is one thing i do regret, I would have loved to hear the stock mufflers without the resonators. The resonators take away from the sound of the car so much, that Im sure just stock mufflers and resonator delete would sound good.

IMHO You will be surprised at how much the resonators will take away from the sound of your car. I would go with just removing the resonators see how you like the sound of the stock mufflers. If you want it louder than that, look into the aftermarket exhaust. If you end up liking the stock, you'll save yourself a few bucks and still have a nice sound.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Auto 5.7 here, and same thing on my Charger before the Challenger. Reso delete (cut off) on the Charger yielded a raw, loud sound that was not obnoxious but very noticeable and terrifying (for others) at WOT. The car cracked and popped on decel and was a load of fun. Felt very alive and got people to get the F out of my way. Cops asked were my mufflers (resonators, really) were, but I never got a ticket.
So I was planning to do the same thing on my Challenger only with pipes to keep the tips out back and ended up with Flowmaster resos (they call them mufflers). While manly, the sound is more muted and gives off more of a V8 rumble than a loud roar. Completely unobtrusive in city driving. Works for me on a daily driver and for a speed demon trying to fly under the radar.

Now I am not sensitive to drone so I can't comment on that. Cruising on the freeway I can hear the exhaust and love that, personally. There's an element of menace. Only in MDS (which I avoid like the plague) does it sound crappy with no resos.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I got an auto as well.

Go for it and report back on how you like it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
USR, thank you for providing insight! I don't mind drone at all, I just wanted to be sure that the exhaust still sounded nice and not awkward. I avoid the MDS also, so that's no biggie. So you replaced the resonators by the exhaust tips with another pair of resonators?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've got a 2012 R/T auto. Welding shop cut the resonators (rear of the car) off, ran some pipe and reinstalled the stock tips for $60. Still embarrassed to rev the engine for people, as it doesn't come close to how the mustangs sound, or how the old '70 ones sounded, but it's got a nice sound at idle and a really nice growl when accelerating, but it won't upset the neighbors. The drone is there, kinda irritating at first, but I either got used to it, it went away a little after driving for awhile, or both. You will also learn to accelerate to avoid most of the drone. Am I glad I did it ---> Hell yeah. I waited a year before I did it and it should have been my very first mod. I will never put the resonators back on.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol, yeah I'll definitely be avoiding certain RPM's in Sacramento it seems as if every challenger is stock, lol. Although every mustang here isn't stock, they sound really menacing. Is it the way there exhaust is set up or something more to get that sound? This is my first american car and I love the rumble they make so I'm trying to do the best mods available.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a new 2014 RT Plus auto, and I recently deleted the reso's and replaced the stock mufflers with mufflers called 409's (MagnaFlow copy). The mufflers were $150 for a pair of stainless and then the muffler guy hit me over the head with $350 to remove and install everything with all stainless pipes. He did a nice job though and NY isn't cheap for anything. I do get a nice muscle car sound and I also get the dreaded drone. But , I like it . You need to find the sweet spot to keep the drone at a minimum, or turn up the radio !

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
USR, thank you for providing insight! I don't mind drone at all, I just wanted to be sure that the exhaust still sounded nice and not awkward. I avoid the MDS also, so that's no biggie. So you replaced the resonators by the exhaust tips with another pair of resonators?
No problem, man. I never touched the mufflers (front), only the resos (back), even if exhaust shops call them mufflers (follow me? :spineyes:).

- Charger: bought it with resos cut off (pipes sawed off before the rear wheels). Sounded brutish and fun, but not like a muscle car, kinda raspy like a ricer. BBRRRAP!!

- Challenger: too tame new and I had no $$ after buying the car so I just wanted the resos off like on the Charger, but with straight pipes welded to keep the tips in the back this time. Muffler guy sold me on replacing the resos with Flowmaster mufflers. Sounds more subdued and more rumbly than no resos at all. Paid $350 total.

Mustangs sound the best for me, like American muscle should. Ford has been selling the Mustang forever and is well aware of how to create that sound - it's part of its mystique and heritage (and now they pipe it in inside the cabin). The Hemi, to me, sounds like a V8 at startup and at WOT... but like something else the rest of the time, and it takes the aftermarket to bring that out because stock it's very tame (on the auto). Nice, but it's not the rumble and lope you expect from muscle cars.
To get the best sound it gets complicated and expensive, and like you, I'm confused by what people say (theirs is always the best) and the sound clips (not like real life or inside the cabin). I keep hearing that you have to hear an exhaust in person and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks movnviol, the pictures are clear! And also clearly depict before and after. I'm going to back sure they weld the pipes really well. USR, the guy I found is willing to remove the resonators for 80 and mufflers and resonators for 140, it sounds tempting to do both. Although I don't know if that's even beneficial to do, it is a good price for all the work that will be done. Thank you to all you guys, you guys have be really helpful and extremely pleasant to speak with!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2010 RT Auto and deleted the mufflers for straight pipe & replaced the middle with Original Flowmaster 40s. Very loud & deep with bearable drone from 1500-2200ish, very satisfied. I pass up many challengers a week in my area near Stockton Ca and my RT is always loudest lol. If you don't plan on getting any headers etc, I'll opt for the super 10s & if you plan n running catless midpipes & Headers you should get the 40s like me.
A guy I just met in my area have a Auto with the same exhaust as mine but with catless midpipes & longtube headers. It sounds more gruesome then my neighbors 08 Corvette Z06 with Longtubes, Cam & Cutouts!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts