Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or just mine? My fronts blow the rears away in every respect. Mine has Boston speakers in the rear deck with the 8” sub in center. There’s very little treble and very little bass. I just bought the car so I’m not sure if anything has been changed. The previous owner had a sub box in the rear because the carpet is worn and there’s a couple of pairs of rca cords laying there. The rear speakers are still using the factory wires. Just wondering if some decent replacements will breathe some life into it.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,559 Posts
There is a line of thought that the rear speakers in the deck are only worthwhile if you have passengers sitting in back seat, otherwise it’s best to just not have any back there.

I don’t necessarily subscribe to that paradigm, but I do believe having a set of coaxials back there doesn’t add much to the overall sound of the system.

Personally, I replaced the two coaxials in the rear deck with a single 8” midbase speaker that is powered from the rear two channels bridged together. That gives me a mono signal with plenty of power to bridge the gap between my sub in the trunk and the door drivers in the front.

Also, that rear deck is a terrible spot for a sub like the one you have. It forces the sub to operate as a free-air/infinite baffle sub, and there are very few that will put out any real base in such a configuration...few that are affordable to the average Joe like us anyway. That’s why I chose to put a midbase speaker there instead trying to find a sub that would somehow work well.

Anyway, you’ll do yourself a favor to either leave what you have back there and use any money you were going to spend on upgrading them to instead upgrade some other aspect of your system, or deleting those two speakers altogether and using those two rear channels to power a single midrange like I’ve done.

That’s my opinion on the matter, and I’m sticking to it! ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate your opinion. I probably will leave it alone for now.
Funny because back in the day, late 70s, early 80s, speakers in the back deck ruled, especially 6x9s. I remember many of them having pretty good bass. I had 2 10’s in the rear deck of my 79 trans am that thumped pretty good. My first bi amped system.

·
Premium Member
2012 Charger Pursuit
5,559 Posts
I appreciate your opinion. I probably will leave it alone for now.
Funny because back in the day, late 70s, early 80s, speakers in the back deck ruled, especially 6x9s. I remember many of them having pretty good bass. I had 2 10’s in the rear deck of my 79 trans am that thumped pretty good. My first bi amped system.
I remember those days, but I’m here to testify that rear deck is no bueno por caca when it comes to making bass.

The first speaker upgrade I did saw me buy 2 pair of the same JBL 6x9s, one for the doors and one for the rear deck. The result was that the ones in the front doors rock and friggin rolled, but the ones in the rear deck didn’t sound any better than a set of 5.25” coaxials (which I ended up replacing them with actually).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts