Dodge Challenger Forum banner

2013 SRT Challenger Whistle Noise

743 Views 12 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  2012 White R/T
Hello,

I attempted to search to find possible answers, I don't believe its the throttle body. The sound exists under throttle, or no throttle.

I have a 2013 stock Challenger with 18k miles, that has had a whistle since I drove it off the lot. It get noticeable at around 50mph, and is loud at 60mph. Even passengers will complain about it. I should have taken it to a dealer to find when I purchased it, but life well prevented me from being able to do that. I tried to tape off everything that I could think off that would be causing a whistle sound at speed. There was no change at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can try next? I'm about to tape off the front grill. Thank you.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2018 Plum M6 Scat Pack with Shaker
532 Posts
Strips of paper.

Try finding a spot or spots where a long strip of 2" wide paper does not have resistance when pulling it through weatherstripping around the doors or window seals. Is all the weatherstripping intact or is some damaged? Check the trunk seals too.

Have you had the car since new? Has it been in a wreck?

Still have not found it? Get one foam ear plug and a 3 to 4 foot piece of 3/8 rubber tubing. Put the foam ear plug in one ear, put one end of the tube in the other; use the free end of the tube like a stethoscope and go hunting for the sound while someone else drives the car at "whistling" speed.

· Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - Go Mango Shaker
30 Posts
Might be a bad transmission, although a bad tranny usually makes a whining noise rather than a whistle. Maybe something has gone wrong in the air intake system and there is a hole letting in air?

· Registered
565 Posts
I had a whistle sound on my wife's Mercedes with a warped windshield wiper, may look at that quickly.
nm..seen you taped that off too.. sorry
Funny I was gonna suggest the windshield wiper. I remember it happening to a friends car once.

Either that or the dealer installed some whistle tips. Gotta ask Bub Rub if it goes WOOOOOO.

· Registered
375 Posts
My car did it from the day I picked it up. Mine was used with around 25000 miles. My first suspicion was brakes since the front rotors had hot spots. I put new rotors and brakes on it and that did not cure it. My next suspicion was transmission so I manually flushed the transmission with 4 gallons of ATF+4 and then changed the filter and put 4 more quarts of fresh fluid in it. That smoothed out the shifting but did not get rid of the problem.
After that I discovered that the alternator was going bad and I had rust on the vibration damper so I changed everything on the front end of the engine, (pulley's water pump, tensioner, alternator, belt) the noise was still there. When I changed all that I also removed the belly splash pan and maintenance cover. It had been drug over something and was torn at the rear mounting points. I now suspect this may be source of the whistle and have a new one sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. To be clear, I do not know for sure if this is the source or not. As soon as it gets above 30 degrees in my garage and we stop having black ice all day long I'll change it and let you know. I cannot completely eliminate an intake manifold leak because I only re-torqued the bolts and did not replace the gaskets. I'll do that when I swap in the 6.4 intake that's also waiting for warmer weather.

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Greetings @sapientiam!

If you elect to visit a dealership regarding the above whistling concerns know we are here to help! Send us a private message to start a conversation.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Greetings @sapientiam!

If you elect to visit a dealership regarding the above whistling concerns know we are here to help! Send us a private message to start a conversation.

Hannah
Dodge Cares

For wind noise in a 10-year-old car? Good on ya if you really mean it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts