Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just left the dealer, I was trying to work a deal on a 2013 SRT8 Automatic which brings me to a big question for all you Auto owners.

First the car was beautiful, WAY nicer and WAY more equipment then my R/T. But I was not impressed..... why is the gear ration only 3.06? I didn't know what to expect prior to test drive but I thought with the HP and TQ difference from my R/T that i would be pleased. To me the rear end ratio needs to be at least a 3.73.

Second has anyone changed out there rear end to a 3.73 and what are your experiances?

I am considering this trade, they worked in the 3.73 rear end for me, but I want to get some feedback before I bite the bullet.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It's because the final drive ratio is like 2.5/1 where the 6spd is 1.95/1 and the new 8spd will be about 2.05/1. My car already tachs about 2,500 at about 70mph vs the 6spd at about 1,900 rpm at 70+.

I can't remember for sure but with the auto in 1st gear you're about the same drive ratio as the 6spd...(I think). So the hole shot should be about the same regardless of the rear end being a 3.06.

Just looked it up. 1st in auto is about 10.98/1 vs 11.64/1 in the 6 speed.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Get an M6

You will get the Tremic Tranny and good gear ratio.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Hello all, just left the dealer, I was trying to work a deal on a 2013 SRT8 Automatic which brings me to a big question for all you Auto owners.

First the car was beautiful, WAY nicer and WAY more equipment then my R/T. But I was not impressed..... why is the gear ration only 3.06? I didn't know what to expect prior to test drive but I thought with the HP and TQ difference from my R/T that i would be pleased. To me the rear end ratio needs to be at least a 3.73.

Second has anyone changed out there rear end to a 3.73 and what are your experiances?

I am considering this trade, they worked in the 3.73 rear end for me, but I want to get some feedback before I bite the bullet.

Thank you
The 3.06 in that car with a set of 17 inch DRs will get you a 12.3 at 115 MPH in the 1/4 mile. Ask me how I know. You will put alot of money in your RT to get those numbers.

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
447 Posts
Maybe the title of this thread should have had something to do about the rear end gear ratio instead of the tranny. Just a thought.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Maybe the title of this thread should have had something to do about the rear end gear ratio instead of the tranny. Just a thought.
Not bashing this car or the Tranny, just looking for members that bought an Auto SRT8 with a 3.06, Which seems to be the standard rear end ratio of this car.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input thus far. I am only seeking advice from members and there experiances with this rear end ratio.

To me, maybe it was the vehicle I drove, it just didn't have the punch off the line as my car.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I can assure you the Automatic SRT8's have loads of "punch" off the line. My car with
the ESP on, rolls the tires over into second from a hard launch. These cars have
"Adaptive" algorithms and everything adapts to the over all driving style. So a car
sitting on a dealers lot is not going to drive to it's full potential till the adaptives are
reset.

There were a hand full of Canadian SRT8 Auto's that got the deeper gears. I would
not want to daily drive one. My car is brutal out of the hole.

Reactions: DougandMichelle

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can assure you the Automatic SRT8's have loads of "punch" off the line. My car with
the ESP on, rolls the tires over into second from a hard launch. These cars have
"Adaptive" algorithms and everything adapts to the over all driving style. So a car
sitting on a dealers lot is not going to drive to it's full potential till the adaptives are
reset.

There were a hand full of Canadian SRT8 Auto's that got the deeper gears. I would
not want to daily drive one. My car is brutal out of the hole.
Thank you! I did not know that. So that makes me feel easier about the car the way it sits.

I'm going to end this thread, as I may be considering a SRT8 Core. I enjoy my 6 Speed. I know without driving the SRT8 Core I will love that car.

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Are you saying you can't break'em loose if you put the hammer down in 1st, with a 392?

If you can't...something is not right with the car.

If you can...that should tell you the bottleneck is not really the axle ratio, rather what the rear tires can handle.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Automatic Core

The auto is cool! I did enjoy the 2010 SRT 6 speed I traded in for the Core 392 Auto and sometimes miss rowing through the gears, but wanted to enjoy this car, go to the strip, light the tires once in a while without a lot of drama and no chance of wheel hop and rear end damage.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Thanks for the input thus far. I am only seeking advice from members and there experiances with this rear end ratio.

To me, maybe it was the vehicle I drove, it just didn't have the punch off the line as my car.
Thats what I was telling you. That rear diff with a set of DRs will get you 12.3 at 115 MPH in the 1/4 mile. I have one

·
Registered
456 Posts
pull the 2 fuse and drive it again. Then try and drive a 6spd if you can.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your input, when it came down to it, I/m just a 6-Speed kinda guy.

Wish I had known about the fuse pull before test drive and the more research I did, makes sense that the driving style and parameters would change.

That being said I enjoy being in control of the power. Put my Bartion shifter in already, have super 10's in the trunk for Wednesday morning install, CAI on it's way, already have the inTiune programer waiting for the mods to be installed. Can't wait!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
If you enjoy rowing gears there is certainly nothing wrong with that! I only offered
my opinion based on experience. The Auto's respond well to Drag Radials and a Stall
Converter, those two mods will net 11.9's in good DA.

I will be curious to see what the 392 does, mated to the new 8spd.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,428 Posts
Thats what I was telling you. That rear diff with a set of DRs will get you 12.3 at 115 MPH in the 1/4 mile. I have one
Yep I pulled a 12.39 last Saturday with my auto as well and that is with less than 2K miles on the car. If it follows the same pattern as my R/T there are a few more tenths to be gained once I get a some more miles on it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Burnin the tires down

Thank you! I did not know that. So that makes me feel easier about the car the way it sits.

I'm going to end this thread, as I may be considering a SRT8 Core. I enjoy my 6 Speed. I know without driving the SRT8 Core I will love that car.

Thank you all for your help!
My friend I have an SRT core A5 and it will smoke the tires down for as long as I want in first and continue into second. I almost bought a sweet looking RT with a physical appearance package plus other options but I decided I would like the extra 100 horse power instead. I can always (and I will) add a TA hood later.:banana:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ya my auto car would crush he tires in stock form. Great setup. My 6-soeed car has one specific disadvantage to the auto :wheel hop. Auto was smooth both of my 6speed cars have wheel hop and thats something I hate but I do like rowing through the gears.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just got my 2012 Yellow Jacket last weekend and it has the auto in it. I just found out today that it has 3.06 gears in it. However, I feel it works and the power is there. I traded my 2010 Camaro SS w/6 spd for the Challenger SRT. Maybe because it's an auto, but the Challenger is deceptively fast. Maybe because I'm not rowing through the gears.

However, I didn't know about the adaptive technology. Maybe I'll have to take mine for a REAL drive and see if it improves. I've only used the "AutoStick" feature a couple of times and even set it to "track mode", but I haven't turned off the anti slip mode yet and used the "track mode" and AutoStick. Then drop the hammer and see what she does. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
2010 Camaro SS

I just got my 2012 Yellow Jacket last weekend and it has the auto in it. I just found out today that it has 3.06 gears in it. However, I feel it works and the power is there. I traded my 2010 Camaro SS w/6 spd for the Challenger SRT. Maybe because it's an auto, but the Challenger is deceptively fast. Maybe because I'm not rowing through the gears.

However, I didn't know about the adaptive technology. Maybe I'll have to take mine for a REAL drive and see if it improves. I've only used the "AutoStick" feature a couple of times and even set it to "track mode", but I haven't turned off the anti slip mode yet and used the "track mode" and AutoStick. Then drop the hammer and see what she does. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I almost bought a 2010 Midnight Blue Camaro SS (auto). Beautiful car and I loved everything about it looks wise interior and exterior. However the performance and ride were not to the level I thought it should be. I was disappointed the 425 horsepower didnt perform better. It didnt sound as throaty as the SRT or seem to accelerate as quickly as the 2010 SRT I was looking and definitly not as quick as the 2013 SRT I bought.
The major thing I didnt like was teh ride quality. There seemed to be a lot of road noise.
Out of curiosity since you owned a 2010 Camaro; do you notice the same things as I did or did I test drive a lemon?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts