Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it to Pep Boys and the guy had a scanner that he scanned each wheel externally near the valve stem and he said all wheel sensors were good.
He wanted to set up a 150 diagnostic appointment. I said l will check back with him if I can’t figure it out.
is the external wheel sensor scanner a real thing? The car was not even on and he did a wireless scan of each wheel.
He said maybe change the brake fluid,

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,027 Posts
Sounds like he scanned the TPMS, There isn't such a thing as wireless scan of the actual wheel speed sensors. Ignition must be on, and with a scanner, car must be driven to see sensor output. An experienced auto parts store with an OBD scanner should be able to tell you which wheel speed sensor is bad

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,753 Posts
AlfaOBD and an OBD interface can help determine if the wheel sensors are bad. Other scanners like launch millenium 90 can do this as well. As A Guy points out the TPM sensors are different from wheel sensors used by ABS.

Didn't you just have issues with your fuel pump? Was the ABS light on then or did it just now happen? If I were you I would get alfaOBD software (the free version can scan your modules) and a OBD interface (alfa states which ones work on their website) and scan the ABS for codes.

Although if you plan to take the car in to get the work done you might as well just take it to a dealership and have them do the diagnosing...considering the experience you had with the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
If your brake fluid has never been changed, I would definitely have that taken care of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will check the the brake fluid.

I went out to the car with the pep boy guy and watched him use the wireless scanner and hold it over the valve stem. He said that the wheel speed scanner is different then the regular scanner.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,753 Posts
I went out to the car with the pep boy guy and watched him use the wireless scanner and hold it over the valve stem. He said that the wheel speed scanner is different then the regular scanner.
Wheel speed sensor is not wireless and is hardwired into the ABS module. It cannot be scanned by scanning the TPM (valve stem). The tire pressure monitoring system has nothing to do with ABS and will not throw an ABS related code. Take the car to a dealership and have them pull the ABS code or if you want to find out for yourself see my previous post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts