Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there.. i own a 2013 SXT... i really want to start throwing some mods into it but i here a lot about how some mods dont make a difference and that you have to unlock the pc to actually see gains. i current have a K&N intake, Carven exhaust and a pedal commander. im stuck not knowing which route to take to actually see and feel gains. can anyone school me a bit or help out please.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Coyote_SXT

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,629 Posts
Welcome from California ;) 2014 and earlier don't need the PCM unlocked, so you could get a tuner and run a 91 octane tune for instance and pick up some HP. Start a thread in the dedicated SXT forum if you like, and you'll get some suggestions. Beyond adding a supercharger, or turbo(s), there is no real cheap way to add much performance, but you can pick some up. You'd likely want to get a custom tune at that point to take advantage. If you get a tuner, make sure you take that in to consideration as some tuners you can only apply the canned tunes.

A Guy

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
hi there.. i own a 2013 SXT... i really want to start throwing some mods into it but i here a lot about how some mods dont make a difference and that you have to unlock the pc to actually see gains. i current have a K&N intake, Carven exhaust and a pedal commander. im stuck not knowing which route to take to actually see and feel gains. can anyone school me a bit or help out please.

Might want to look my threads up and go back to 2013 when I first got my 2013 SXT and read my progress thru the years if you like. Like you many told me nothing really makes any power which I ignored and did my own testing, I did take my bone stock 2013 sxt from 15.2 at around 93 mph with 2.26 60 ft times down to 13.9 at just over 100 mph with thru the traps naturally aspirated with 2.06 60ft times. Got my 0-60 mph runs down to 5.0 seconds, Just thru tinkering and it was on a 93 octane can tune running 91 octane straight gas. Later I supercharged ran 12.5 but officially with a time slip for "proof" ran 12.8

One of the biggest gains to cut e.t. was changing gears, for your car going from a 2.65 gear to a 3.64 gear would cost about 140 bucks for the pumpkin, 100 dollars for the two half shafts, 25 bucks for a frame bushing, do the work yourself and you have no more money in it. Pretty cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ddeennis
So there is hope.. I eventually do want to supercharge maybe with rip supercharger since ive seen what it has done to a 3.6 guy in Texas whom I follow on youtube. he has one of the most modded v6 challengers or chargers out there but it does make it easier for him with a bunch of sponsors.
I think I'm going to jump into the bigger gear this or next month.
when you say 93 octane can tune exactly what do you mean?.
thanks a lot for the help I appreciate i'll be checking out your threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might want to look my threads up and go back to 2013 when I first got my 2013 SXT and read my progress thru the years if you like. Like you many told me nothing really makes any power which I ignored and did my own testing, I did take my bone stock 2013 sxt from 15.2 at around 93 mph with 2.26 60 ft times down to 13.9 at just over 100 mph with thru the traps naturally aspirated with 2.06 60ft times. Got my 0-60 mph runs down to 5.0 seconds, Just thru tinkering and it was on a 93 octane can tune running 91 octane straight gas. Later I supercharged ran 12.5 but officially with a time slip for "proof" ran 12.8

One of the biggest gains to cut e.t. was changing gears, for your car going from a 2.65 gear to a 3.64 gear would cost about 140 bucks for the pumpkin, 100 dollars for the two half shafts, 25 bucks for a frame bushing, do the work yourself and you have no more money in it. Pretty cheap.

So there is hope.. I eventually do want to supercharge maybe with rip supercharger since ive seen what it has done to a 3.6 guy in Texas whom I follow on youtube. he has one of the most modded v6 challengers or chargers out there but it does make it easier for him with a bunch of sponsors.
I think I'm going to jump into the bigger gear this or next month.
when you say 93 octane can tune exactly what do you mean?.
thanks a lot for the help I appreciate i'll be checking out your threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from California ;) 2014 and earlier don't need the PCM unlocked, so you could get a tuner and run a 91 octane tune for instance and pick up some HP. Start a thread in the dedicated SXT forum if you like, and you'll get some suggestions. Beyond adding a supercharger, or turbo(s), there is no real cheap way to add much performance, but you can pick some up. You'd likely want to get a custom tune at that point to take advantage. If you get a tuner, make sure you take that in to consideration as some tuners you can only apply the canned tunes.

A Guy
thanks a lot man. i really have to do my research on these tunes. i always heard about having to unlock the pcm and then the warranty (which i don't really care about anymore). I'm not too sure what you guys mean when you talk about the tunes and canned tunes

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,629 Posts
Canned tunes are the generic tunes provided with the tuners, one size fits all. They will be improved, but are not tailored to your individual car, or individual mods. You can also do email tunes with one of the expert MOPAR tuners, they have you log and send them info, they send you a tune, you log with that, and so on. Best generally, once you have your mods you are going to do, is a Dyno tune with a good tuner. They run it on the dynamometer and log and adjust until they get the most out of it (in theory at least).

So the generic (canned) tune that comes with the tuner, you just "install" the 93 octane tune (requires you to use 93 octane from then on). You'll get some improvement

Email tune gets better each revision until you arrive at what is considered an optimized tune based on the logs you provided (and depending on how many revisions you get)

Dyno tune usually done in one session, takes multiple dyno runs. Bonus is you get the dyno results so you can see pretty accurately what power you picked up with the tune

2015 + require either having the stock PCM unlocked, or buying an additional unlocked PCM. So with a 2013, you save the expense of the PCM

A Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Canned tunes are the generic tunes provided with the tuners, one size fits all. They will be improved, but are not tailored to your individual car, or individual mods. You can also do email tunes with one of the expert MOPAR tuners, they have you log and send them info, they send you a tune, you log with that, and so on. Best generally, once you have your mods you are going to do, is a Dyno tune with a good tuner. They run it on the dynamometer and log and adjust until they get the most out of it (in theory at least).

So the generic (canned) tune that comes with the tuner, you just "install" the 93 octane tune (requires you to use 93 octane from then on). You'll get some improvement

Email tune gets better each revision until you arrive at what is considered an optimized tune based on the logs you provided (and depending on how many revisions you get)

Dyno tune usually done in one session, takes multiple dyno runs. Bonus is you get the dyno results so you can see pretty accurately what power you picked up with the tune

2015 + require either having the stock PCM unlocked, or buying an additional unlocked PCM. So with a 2013, you save the expense of the PCM

A Guy
okay it all makes better sense now, so I'm thinking of going for the bigger gears so i can jump into a tune. is there any shop you would recommend to get the tune out here in California? I'm more to the L.A area

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
21,629 Posts
Sorry, no performance mods on mine, and as you know, Norcal and Socal are light years apart ;)

A Guy

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts