Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Classic
OK, I've spent a bunch of time on the phone this past week, but I think I'm down to the bottom of what's up.

The U60 recall for the PCM reprogram, as a result of the cruise control issue, is applicable to every Challenger that received the recall notice - whether or not the specific car has replaced the original PCM with a Scat Pack Stage 1 PCM. The recall is tied to the VIN, not the PCM, so even though FCA "knows" that you are no longer running your car with the original PCM, they "by law" have to send you the recall notice - again, based on your VIN.

I couldn't find anyone that had any idea about a U82 recall, so according to everyone I spoke with, there is no actual recall on the Stage 1 PCM.

SO, what I've confirmed is that if you want the FCA record of the recall, on your VIN, cleared - for the presumed sake of if you wanted to sell the car later on - you actually DO have to bring your car back to the dealer, have them put the original, non-stage 1 PCM back into your car, and flash it with the update. This then allows them to clear your VIN of the recall. You can then have the dealer pull out the original PCM and replace it back with the stage 1 PCM, and your car is fine.

Because they Scat Pack stage 1 PCM is an aftermarket part, even if they do have it on record that you have it, your car will only be cleared of the recall if FCA can verify that your original PCM was flashed.

SO, if you're like me and didn't bother keeping your original PCM after getting the stage 1, you're pretty much screwed, on the documentation part. However, you're fine on the technical side, and don't need to do anything to fix your car's ability to have cruise control.

Having said that, you can feel free to confirm, yourself - I'd really rather not feel responsible if someone with a stage 1 PCM DOES have the cruise control problem, somehow... 0:)

Registered
SO, if you're like me and didn't bother keeping your original PCM after getting the stage 1, you're pretty much screwed, on the documentation part. However, you're fine on the technical side, and don't need to do anything to fix your car's ability to have cruise control.
This could possibly start to cause a problem in the future.

Some states are working on or already have in place a system that will not allow you to renew your registration if there is an open safety recall for your car.
I don't know if any are enforcing it yet but be aware of the possibility.

Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Classic
This could possibly start to cause a problem in the future.

Some states are working on or already have in place a system that will not allow you to renew your registration if there is an open safety recall for your car.
I don't know if any are enforcing it yet but be aware of the possibility.

Interesting point - no idea how that could be handled, actually...

41 - 45 of 45 Posts