Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My particular story is that I love Dodge Challengers and I've always wanted one since they have come out, but unfortunately due to school and other responsibilities it's not really a feasible choice ATM. I moved to California a few years ago and when I bought a car, I had to forgo the Dodge Challenger and instead purchase a much more realistic Chevy Cruz ECO. Its been a fantastic little car. Additionally, I am waiting for the updated interiors to come out which really also influenced my decision at the time.

I've recently completed my Masters Degree at school and I've been employed in California for the past two years. My job outlook has changed for the better and now I'm re-evaluating my options. I was driving my car and I saw a bunch of Dodge Challengers parked outside a Dodge Dealership. It looked like candy in a candy shop so I decided to take a look. Specifically, I was inquiring into the new 2015's when they arrive. Of course, when I purchase one I want leather, NAV, etc because I'm under the impression that options will keep the resale value high. It would also push it out of my price range but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Not surprisingly, there is a lot of momentum to move the 2014's. What was surprising is when the saleslady told me about the lease option that Dodge currently has where you lease a 2014 for a year, then purchase a 2015 a year later for no money down. That's unheard of. It basically says, "Hey, come back in a year but in the meantime here's a car to drive."

We went to look at the options and I found a base R/T Challenger with a six speed manual transmission. No options, nothing. Just a stripper with a V8 and three pedals. Perfect. Specifically, it's this one. New 2014 Dodge Challenger For Sale | Redwood City CA

This makes a lot of sense to lease. It's no frills, it's fun, I can drive it for a year, and then I can turn the keys in and actually order the Challenger that I want a year later.

Right now, the big determining factor would be the trade in on my Chevy Cruz ECO. I purchased it in December of 2012 for 24.5, at 0 Down, 0% for 60 months. Plus it's fully loaded, aftermarket leather, NAV, backup sensors, premium stereo and wheels, etch etc. I currently owe about 17K on it, and unless they can work a deal on the trade in it might be a bit premature to work the deal.

So the question is, do you think this one year lease then buy is a good deal, or should I just wait for another year and get into the 2015 when I can. I'm just curious as to what you guys think. Plus, I'll be trading in a car that I'm purchasing for a lease vehicle which carries a lot of risk in itself. Or does it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hello all! My particular story is that I love Dodge Challengers and I've always wanted one since they have come out, but unfortunately due to school and other responsibilities it's not really a feasible choice ATM. I moved to California a few years ago and when I bought a car, I had to forgo the Dodge Challenger and instead purchase a much more realistic Chevy Cruz ECO. Its been a fantastic little car. Additionally, I am waiting for the updated interiors to come out which really also influenced my decision at the time.

I've recently completed my Masters Degree at school and I've been employed in California for the past two years. My job outlook has changed for the better and now I'm re-evaluating my options. I was driving my car and I saw a bunch of Dodge Challengers parked outside a Dodge Dealership. It looked like candy in a candy shop so I decided to take a look. Specifically, I was inquiring into the new 2015's when they arrive. Of course, when I purchase one I want leather, NAV, etc because I'm under the impression that options will keep the resale value high. It would also push it out of my price range but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Not surprisingly, there is a lot of momentum to move the 2014's. What was surprising is when the saleslady told me about the lease option that Dodge currently has where you lease a 2014 for a year, then purchase a 2015 a year later for no money down. That's unheard of. It basically says, "Hey, come back in a year but in the meantime here's a car to drive."

We went to look at the options and I found a base R/T Challenger with a six speed manual transmission. No options, nothing. Just a stripper with a V8 and three pedals. Perfect. Specifically, it's this one. New 2014 Dodge Challenger For Sale | Redwood City CA

This makes a lot of sense to lease. It's no frills, it's fun, I can drive it for a year, and then I can turn the keys in and actually order the Challenger that I want a year later.

Right now, the big determining factor would be the trade in on my Chevy Cruz ECO. I purchased it in December of 2012 for 24.5, at 0 Down, 0% for 60 months. Plus it's fully loaded, aftermarket leather, NAV, backup sensors, premium stereo and wheels, etch etc. I currently owe about 17K on it, and unless they can work a deal on the trade in it might be a bit premature to work the deal.

So the question is, do you think this one year lease then buy is a good deal, or should I just wait for another year and get into the 2015 when I can. I'm just curious as to what you guys think. Plus, I'll be trading in a car that I'm purchasing for a lease vehicle which carries a lot of risk in itself. Or does it?

Thank you!
Spend the extra time to save up your money. The order banks open for the 2015s on June 9th. Order what you want then, and then save up. It will be several months before your car will come in. Don't settle now if what you really want is a 2015 challenger.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: rghoskins

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
That deal is better for Dodge's wallet than yours. NOBODY gives you more than they are getting.
The golden rule is "whoever has the gold makes the rules"
Congrats on receiving your masters degree!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
FACT

Leasing is NEVER a good deal. Period. A down payment on a car you give back?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I remember reading something about the 2015 car has to be within $1500 MSRP of the 2014 car so if you are looking at a strip down model now your almost certainly stuck with that the next go around.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Are you sure you got it right? It's a 1 year, lease on a 2014, and another 3 year lease on the 2015, then you can buy it: "Dodge Double-Up is a pretty innovative way to keep customers buying the out-going version of the car while the new one is on the horizon. It's pretty simple, too; here's how it works: a customer would enter into a 12-month lease for a 2014 Dodge Charger (with the exception of the base Charger SE and loaded Charger SRT), or a 2014 Dodge Challenger (excluding the Challenger SRT), and then drive the car for a year. After a year, the customer will return to the Dodge dealership where they first leased their 2014 model, and trade their car in for a three-year lease on a 2015 Dodge Charger or 2015 Dodge Challenger. There is a bit of fine print, though. Automotive News reports that the one-year lease requires $2999 at signing, with payments starting at $329 per month for a 15,000 mile lease. When the year is up, customers must return to the same dealership they got their 2014 model from, where they can swap out their 2014 Charger or Challenger for a 2015 Charger or Challenger. The new three-year lease allows for 36,000, and requires no more money down and no change in monthly payment. The SRT models are again excluded, as is the 2015 Charger SE. The 2015 model's sticker price must be within $1500 of the 2014 model's sticker. The lease also must be made through Chrysler Capital. At the end of the 2015 model year lease, customers have the option of buying their car, and if they choose to do so, get a $1000 incentive."

Read more: Dodge Launches Innovative New 2015 Charger and Challenger Lease

Dodge Launches Innovative New 2015 Charger and Challenger Lease

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wouldn't order the first batch of 2015s, they are sure to have some little nitpicky problems here and there that'll need to be sorted by Chrysler engineers(this nearly happens to all cars that are launched in the auto industry, but less frequent on a mid cycle refresh), but if you get the 2014 you'd get a 2015 that is most probably a later build with less problems.

Go for it, get a feel for the 6 speed, beat up on it and then order the Challenger of your dreams!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure you got it right? It's a 1 year, lease on a 2014, and another 3 year lease on the 2015, then you can buy it: "Dodge Double-Up is a pretty innovative way to keep customers buying the out-going version of the car while the new one is on the horizon. It's pretty simple, too; here's how it works: a customer would enter into a 12-month lease for a 2014 Dodge Charger (with the exception of the base Charger SE and loaded Charger SRT), or a 2014 Dodge Challenger (excluding the Challenger SRT), and then drive the car for a year. After a year, the customer will return to the Dodge dealership where they first leased their 2014 model, and trade their car in for a three-year lease on a 2015 Dodge Charger or 2015 Dodge Challenger. There is a bit of fine print, though. Automotive News reports that the one-year lease requires $2999 at signing, with payments starting at $329 per month for a 15,000 mile lease. When the year is up, customers must return to the same dealership they got their 2014 model from, where they can swap out their 2014 Charger or Challenger for a 2015 Charger or Challenger. The new three-year lease allows for 36,000, and requires no more money down and no change in monthly payment. The SRT models are again excluded, as is the 2015 Charger SE. The 2015 model's sticker price must be within $1500 of the 2014 model's sticker. The lease also must be made through Chrysler Capital. At the end of the 2015 model year lease, customers have the option of buying their car, and if they choose to do so, get a $1000 incentive."

Read more: Dodge Launches Innovative New 2015 Charger and Challenger Lease

Dodge Launches Innovative New 2015 Charger and Challenger Lease

Thank you. This is the follow up information that I needed. I was told it was a one year lease then buy. But a subsequent three year lease would be a no go since I'm making payments on a car to own right now.

I must thought this would get me into a Challenger a year earlier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, is there any way to negotiate out of the $2,999 down and not move much in the payment?

Also, any chance you could return the car after 12 months and just walk away? IE, 1 year lease then go BUY a 2015 model instead of doing a 36month lease?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Buying the stripper now would get you into the car sooner too. With the rebates, you could be in an RT for $27,000 or so. No restrictions on how long you keep it or what you get a year from now (or whenever you like). Probably get in it for much less than $4000 too, and if you finance 72 months, the payments won't be that far off the lease payment.

Unless you negotiate for the next car for X amount over invoice, the roll over lease could be more expensive than you planned.

Factory subsidized leases can be a good deal if you trade out cars frequently.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Buying the stripper now would get you into the car sooner too. With the rebates, you could be in an RT for $27,000 or so. No restrictions on how long you keep it or what you get a year from now (or whenever you like). Probably get in it for much less than $4000 too, and if you finance 72 months, the payments won't be that far off the lease payment.

Unless you negotiate for the next car for X amount over invoice, the roll over lease could be more expensive than you planned.

Factory subsidized leases can be a good deal if you trade out cars frequently.
Not to mention if there really is a 1500 max variance in cost, buying a 14 stripper R/T will put you in a 15 V6.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, the deal wasn't made.

The negative equity on the Cruze was the deal breaker. They offered 12K for my 2012 Eco that I owed 17K on. I thought that was a little unreasonable considering the car was fully loaded with aftermarket leather, remote start, nav, backup sensors and only had 9K on the odometer.

The Challenger was a 2014 stick shift R/T. 31K sticker, 3.5K taxes and registration. Dodge would apply 4K towards the car, which would have offset most of the negative equity.

Really, the only saving grace was my +740 credit score.

They came at me with 580.00 a month payments over 80(!) months @ 2.99% interest with zero down.

I said no. I just couldn't do that. It's a nice car, but it's not worth doubling my liability, insurance payments, and gas costs just to drive it.

I guess I'll just keep driving my Obama GovernmentMotors stimulus car, since apparently I'm going to have to drive it into the ground to get any type of return on investment in it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dealers are always low ballers when it comes to trade in prices, you'll get the most dough for your Cruz if you sell it privately and know how to write a good ad. Some people just throw up a Craigslist add off their phone in 3 mins, that's not the way to do it, sit down and take a good 2-3 hrs to write a well detailed ad of the car and it's history. Hope this helps :) and good luck, I'm sure you'll get the Challenger of your dreams one day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just a piece of advice, don't pay anywhere near sticker when buying. You should pay invoice or less, there are plenty of dealers willing to do this. Plus, search for incentives from Dodge for additional off. I bought my 2013 R/T in December of 2012 - sticker was $31k plus taxes and fees (3% sales tax, $499 doc, $69 tag). I was out the door for $26k in less than 1 hour.

On the flip side, remember that all of these discounts/rebates hurt trade value. I was offered $24k for my Challenger last month with 25k miles and needing new tires.

I would have been pissed if I paid close to $30k but in my case I'm looking at very little depreciation considering the miles and needing $700 in tires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well, the deal wasn't made.

The negative equity on the Cruze was the deal breaker. They offered 12K for my 2012 Eco that I owed 17K on. I thought that was a little unreasonable considering the car was fully loaded with aftermarket leather, remote start, nav, backup sensors and only had 9K on the odometer.

The Challenger was a 2014 stick shift R/T. 31K sticker, 3.5K taxes and registration. Dodge would apply 4K towards the car, which would have offset most of the negative equity.

Really, the only saving grace was my +740 credit score.

They came at me with 580.00 a month payments over 80(!) months @ 2.99% interest with zero down.

I said no. I just couldn't do that. It's a nice car, but it's not worth doubling my liability, insurance payments, and gas costs just to drive it.

I guess I'll just keep driving my Obama GovernmentMotors stimulus car, since apparently I'm going to have to drive it into the ground to get any type of return on investment in it.
That's 46400 dollars for a 31K dollar car with a 4K rebate. That math doesn't work, even if you factor in tax, tags, and negative equity.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts