Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my new car but do not know if this decelerating is normal? It does it at all speeds but is most noticeable at 40 and below. Just take your foot off the accelerator and there is something slowing the vehicle down like a Jake brake in a diesel truck feel. Car does not coast. It coasts if you throw it to Neutral so I know it is not braking. The eco light stays on and the dealer says it is operating as designed which is an insult to my intelligence. Does anyone else feel this and is it normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Responses Thank-you

Thanks for the responses, My wifes car is a 06 Daytona Charger and I am using it for comparison. I think it might outrun this new one and the factory fuel use ratings are 2 mpg higher. So is it a locked torque converter I feel or what. Do the trucks do this too as I was considering a new Ram.

Hey Bad Daytona please roll some coal and smoke a prius on my behalf! I really like the 2nd gen trucks. I will look at the EVIC but mine is just an R/T
Also thanks Road Trippin I wish the dealer had just talked to me and was honest as I can rule out insanity now. I was always taught coasting saves gas.......

·
Registered
681 Posts
My "09 Ram doesn't do it, dunno if the newer ones do! Have you seen the shifter on the "15 Rams? It's a rotary knob on the dash, no more stick shift..........strange to say the least, kinda like something out of the "60's........

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Thanks for the responses, My wifes car is a 06 Daytona Charger and I am using it for comparison. I think it might outrun this new one and the factory fuel use ratings are 2 mpg higher. So is it a locked torque converter I feel or what. Do the trucks do this too as I was considering a new Ram.

Hey Bad Daytona please roll some coal and smoke a prius on my behalf! I really like the 2nd gen trucks. I will look at the EVIC but mine is just an R/T
Also thanks Road Trippin I wish the dealer had just talked to me and was honest as I can rule out insanity now. I was always taught coasting saves gas.......
My 14 Ram, Hemi 8 Speed does it everytime. It saves the brake life a bit (I hope).

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a '14 RT with the 6m and typically I have to keep it in gear to keep it from coasting into the back of another car. The thing will coast for miles on a flat road and even more going down hill. I've driven smaller cars that don't coast so well. Perhaps the auto addresses that "problem." I love it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
* observation......

I've noticed this occurs when MDS is OFF, however when MDS is ON, my car definitely coasts/rolls/glides much smoother/free-er so to speak.

With MDS OFF, when I lift off the gas, my car slows so much with engine braking its getting very annoying.
I hate it.. So I drive with MDS ON lately... Anyone else??

Maybe there's a transmission update (2012 SRT) or something, because driving this car just doesn't feel right w/ MDS OFF...

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
my 2011 hemi Ram did this too, like I said though I like that feature, saves brakes and I'm not one to coast down the road so

Reactions: Mopar4Bama

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Newer Challengers may be different but on my 2012 if I'm cruising at 55mph and let off the gas and coast it will coast a long way and only downshift gently below 30 mph, however if I accelerate quickly up to 55mph and then let off quickly the car will then start downshifting quickly, it's like it knows when your racing and it's doing what it should be doing to help you out, I like it this way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Display ECO mode

OK I was able to find the ECO OFF and ON on the EVIC So the choice says Display Eco Mode and when you shut it off does it actually turn off the ECO so the car runs different or just the display lamp.

·
Registered
398 Posts
OK I was able to find the ECO OFF and ON on the EVIC So the choice says Display Eco Mode and when you shut it off does it actually turn off the ECO so the car runs different or just the display lamp.
Just the light.

·
Registered
728 Posts

My 14 Ram 8 speed sucks it's already been in for the trans vibrating and clunking, I was told the same thing that the vibration I feel is normal and the clunking noise is gas slosching in the tank and all 26 gallon trucks do it. I couldn't believe they insulted me with that BS, but thats OK about another 5K miles and it's back to Chevys for me, owned them for 30 years and only bought the Ram because of the Challenger, big mistake everybody told me Chrysler automactic trans sucked,thank god my Challenger is a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts

My 14 Ram 8 speed sucks it's already been in for the trans vibrating and clunking, I was told the same thing that the vibration I feel is normal and the clunking noise is gas slosching in the tank and all 26 gallon trucks do it. I couldn't believe they insulted me with that BS, but thats OK about another 5K miles and it's back to Chevys for me, owned them for 30 years and only bought the Ram because of the Challenger, big mistake everybody told me Chrysler automactic trans sucked,thank god my Challenger is a 6 speed.
I have 4 chev work trucks they suck big time if I owned them and had to pay for repairs I would go broke.

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Late to the party but I've noticed this "jake brake" feeling when letting off the gas also.

Now I had a 2012 ALTIMA and it had this feature also.
The dealer could disable it if you took it in I learned from the Nissan forums.

So I took it to the dealer and they turned the feature off no charge, it coasted MUCH better after that.

Don't know if Dodge dealers can do this or know HOW to do it??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts