Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to this forum although I've been a passive user for awhile keeping up on conversations you guys have. Anyways, I took my 2014 Challenger to a dyno shop for a custom tune and here are the results -

My car - 2014 RT Plus Blacktop edition - 5.7 Liter Hemi 6 Sp manual transmission, upgraded rear end (3.92), K&N CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback exhaust, 275 rear tires and 255 front tires.

Results: 441hp at the crank, 374 rwhp at 5373 rpms and 365 lbs of tg.

Not bad!!! Others have mentioned on here that they think Dodge underrates their cars - well this well known dyno shop does over 250 cars a year - they believe the same.

So seen lots of talk on here of dyno results - I am holding them in my hand and will post them. I just have to learn how to as I'm new to posting on the site.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great power for a 5.7. What make of dyno? Now you need some track time to see how that hp relates to the track.
Jim thanks for your comment. I'm not sure - I'll find out - just need to call and ask. I know when they bought it about 5 years ago it cost them 80,000+. Still need to take pics of the results and download them into my computer and upload here. Just got it done on Thursday of this last week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow that's pretty good man. I agree with the underrating of the 5.7 hemi. I am curious what the A8 Auto would have done as well on that dyno.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There does seem to be some circumstantial evidence that Dodge underrates the power on its cars. I've even seen dyno runs of the V6 that confuse the hell out of people with the power it produces. The question is are they the result of lack of quality control where you get large random variations or is there some logical reason why they underrate the power?

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I have a tuned 5.7 with headers that hit 353 RWHP at a club event. Several others hit 340 at the rear wheels. What other mods do you have to enable the car to hit 374 RWHP?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those are some pretty big numbers for a relatively stock 5.7. The OP didnt state what brand but I've heard from others that DynoJet tends to be a little more over-rated on their numbers. Not saying that he had that particular machine, but those are some really impressive numbers.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Wednesday car.

My best friend had a 69 Coronet R/T that was bone stock - this was back in 1985. He ran it at Fremont Drag Strip with the stock head pipes hanging loose (open cast iron manifolds), 6" slicks (borrow from a friend), half a tank of race gas and threw on an Accel super coil. Stock automatic (no shift kit even) and 3.23 non-posi. The car went 12.80 at 112. No reasons at all it should have been that fast other than it must have been built on a Wednesday when the workers weren't in a rush to leave for the weekend (Fridays) or just coming back from being drunk all weekend (Mondays).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's it - a CAI and catback exhaust system. I know - hard to believe. My car is pretty fast. If I'm cruising in 4th at say 60 and throw it in 3rd it will almost loose its back end it jumps so hard. Same for if I'm doing say 40 in 3rd gear and drop it in to 2nd and floor it. From a start, it has no problem destroying its tires. It just seems to be a very tight car and very torquey! Now the dyno machine it ran on some say rates them by 10% higher than another well known brand of dyno. So there ya go, I don't race it anyways- just have a ball with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
There does seem to be some circumstantial evidence that Dodge underrates the power on its cars. I've even seen dyno runs of the V6 that confuse the hell out of people with the power it produces. The question is are they the result of lack of quality control where you get large random variations or is there some logical reason why they underrate the power?
In the late 60s/early 70s, Dodge and Plymouth used to under rate the power of their engines to get a competitive edge at the drag strip. For example, a 340 4 barrel engine was rated at 275 hp. The NHRA, knew better, and factored it up to 325 hp. Dodge/Plymouth didn't lie, they just cut off the hp reading at 5,000 rpm, instead of the 6,000 rpm redline.

Also, the lower ratings on the engines helped with the car insurance bill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts