Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 2014 Challenger RT, 5.7 Hemi, and want to replace the original
"plug" hood scoop with the functional pair. My question is, if it were raining
hard and I'm doing 50 - 60 MPH or at a car wash....that water is going to drip
on the inside! Now, this may not harm anything (or will it?) but, at the very
least, won't it dirty it up a lot? Especially if someone hit some standing muddy
water on the road, and its raining they you have very very dirty water right
into the engine compartment!

What are some of the experiences with this? Words of wisdom?
Thanks AJ

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I added functional hood scoops on my R/T Plus.

I don't do car washes, so no comment there. But I do drive through heavy Texas thunderstorms and I've not noticed any problems at all. No increase in dirt, nothing seems to be troubled at all.

I read some folks were worried about removing their engine cover when they have the functional scoops, so they make sure they at least have the half covers to protect the area right under the air scoop entry, which makes sense to me since there are electrical things right there.

Other than that I see no problem, or anything to worry about.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I thought that 2012 + RT's had funtional hood scoops from the factory???/?..... :5:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had them for a while now, wash my car weekly, live in England (we all know it rains there) and no probs at all, if your worried just pop the hood after being in any wet situations and wipe down, but I've never had to do that, go ahead and fit them.
All the best

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I thought that 2012 + RT's had funtional hood scoops from the factory???/?.....
Only the R/T Classic, and maybe another higher trim version like the blacktop edition came with functional scoops. Base R/T, R/T Plus did not come with them. I figure the marketing people needed something to try and add to the itemized bullet list to justify the additional cost for the higher trim models.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, to add the Functional hood scoop, The plastic engine cover...has to go, or can it stay?

Thanks AJ

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
No, if anything you need the engine cover with functional hood scoops, half covers at least. Hope that helps
I'm currently running mine with no cover at all with the functional hood scoops. I see no problems so far.

However, I do think the general consensus that a cover under there is a good idea, so I have a set of half covers that I intend to install. The concern is that rainwater will be forced directly onto your coils, etc. The covers will deflect the water away, which makes sense.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm currently running mine with no cover at all with the functional hood scoops. I see no problems so far.

However, I do think the general consensus that a cover under there is a good idea, so I have a set of half covers that I intend to install. The concern is that rainwater will be forced directly onto your coils, etc. The covers will deflect the water away, which makes sense.
I'm sure you're correct, there's so little water whenever I've checked I'm sure it would be fine with no covers at all, I just like to air on the side of caution :)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me rephrase my question. I want to keep the plastic cover, will it still fit after the hood scoops?

Thanks AJ

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
One more question,,,is there really any benefit of doing it at all ?

Thanks AJ
Some who care about this stuff have reported cooler engine running temps.

Others report their engine bay cools quicker after stopping since the hot air has another route to exit by.

I just did it because I hate having a hood scoop there that is just a dummy, it bothers me. For $80 I could easily remedy a source of minor irritation, that would remind me every time I was cleaning the car, or doing some maintenance, so I did it. ;)

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
wow $80, best I could find is $99, where did you get it ?
Don't remember, and it might have been $80 plus shipping.

It was such a minor mod, with nebulous benefits, other than making me feel better, that I didn't really think too hard about it, or pay much attention to where I was buying it from.

Sorry.

·
Registered
876 Posts
check the classifieds on this forum, they come up for sale somewhat regularly after someone does a hood swap. I picked up mine for WAY less than $100 (no shipping because the seller was local and we met up to do the swap). Install is a piece of cake and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so. Make sure to protect the paint on the hood and use something plastic (trim removal tools, kitchen spatula / turner ... whatever). The new ones slide in and snap in to place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts