Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
this is my first post on this site, and I am REALLY hoping someone could help me out.

So I recently bought a new 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT. I plan on getting Oracle Halo lights installed (both headlights and fog lights) and that is where I run into a problem. The model Challenger I have doesn't come with fog lights. I would have gotten the SXT Plus, but after the upgraded sound system, touch screen, leather seats, etc, it became too costly. I simply just want to have to fog lights installed and also to have the different light knob installed on the interior (the one mine has you just turn to turn on/off the lights, and the one in the SXT plus you also push to turn on the fog lights).

Does anyone know where I can get this done?
How much it would cost me?

All input will GREATLY help!

Thank you for your time!

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk;

Dodge doesn't make a fog light "kit" for the Challenger, and a lot of dealer service departments, seeing this, say it can't be done. It can be done, quite easily. We have a 2014 sxt, that we purchased in May, which I installed the oem fog lights in.

The wiring for the fog lights is already in there, all that has to be done is buy the 2 lights, 4 screws which hold them in, and the headlight switch with the fog light switch built in. Some mopar parts places online & ebay sell Challenger "kits", which they have made up. Prices seem to be from $120 to $150. After you install the parts, you MUST go to a dealer and have them program the car to work the fog lights. They put in the proper code. Some people are able to get this done for free, other dealers want up to one hour of labor to do this. You've got to call the dealers around you and get prices. I ordered the parts from a dealer, which added up to about $150, after I installed them, I made an appointment with the service department and they charged me $69 to program the car. Of course, you can also pay for the dealer to install the parts and the programming is part of the cost.

Here is the complete instructions that I posted for another thread on how to do this, complete with part numbers:

Ok, I just finished adding fog lights to our new 2014 sxt yesterday. I had done it to our 2011 SE, and it turned out to be the exact same process, even 3 years later.

Parts:

2 fog lamps: #5182025AA
4 T20 torx self-tapping screws: 6506579AA
1 Headlight switch w/fogs switch: 68189148AA

Installation:

1. Jack up and remove the front tire. Safely support the car with jackstands, use wheel chocks etc. Make the car safe to work on! you can just turn in the wheel, but this gives you more room and is easier.
2. Open the inner fender on the front side of the wheel. I think altogether I took out 6 of those plastic rivet thingys, and 2 small metal screws from underneath. Spread the plastic inner fender open, and you can see the back of the black plastic blank right there. Look around with a flashlight, and you will find a connector hanging somewhere thereabouts.
3. I used a long screwdriver on the blank and just pounded it a couple of times with my hand and it popped out the front.
4. Insert the fog lamp into the front of the fascia, adjustment screw on top, there are 2 plastic pins that slide into place. Insert and tighten the 2 screws. Hint: I pre-screwed the screws in, before installing the lamp, it makes it easier when you're working inside the fender.
5. Grab the connector hanging there and push it onto the fog lamp connector. It should give a nice "click" when you get it on.
6. Close up the inner fender, put all screws and plastic rivet thingys back in place, re-install wheel.
7. Do the other side, same as the first.
8. Get in the driver's seat, rest your aching back, look at the new switch with it's 3 clips that hold it in place, this is exactly what you are taking out. Use some sort of thin trimstick to dis-engage these clips and pop the switch out. Remember to be careful and not damage the dash, you are going to be stuck looking at it if you "mess" it up.
9. Old switch has a red slider on it to lock the wiring connector on, slide it, pull the connector off, put it on the new switch, lock the connector on with the slider. Pop switch into dash.

10. Your part is now done, take it to a dealer and have them flash the car to activate the fog lights.

The fogs will not work at all until the car is flashed. The new switch has the "A" position to the left of the off position. This is for the automatic headlights which will not work properly. Turning the switch to the "A" position will just turn on all the lights.

The dealer I went charged me the "minimum" amount of $69 to turn on the fog lights.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so much Scott! I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time!

and i know ou've already helped me a lot! But, is there any way you could direct me to the kit you purchased? I found the parts individually, and I found a couple kits, but it's a little pricy individually, and I want to make sure the "kit" has the right parts in it?

-Would this be a correct thing to purchase?

Amazon.com: CHALLENGER SE S/E V6 FOG DRIVING LAMP LIGHTS INCL ALL NECESSARY PARTS MOPAR OEM: Automotive

and then after installation all i'd need to do is get is flashed?

·
Registered
136 Posts
You don't have to jack up the car there is another way. You can just but some pry tools from harbor freight

Turn the wheel all the way to the opposite side of the fog light you are installinga and use the pry tools to remove the clips in the front of the wheel well and follow the steps that where mmentioned above. Just turn the wheel all the way to the other side when you move onto the next fog light.

I see where he posted but I just wanted to let you know how to do it just in case

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank you so much Scott! I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time!

and i know ou've already helped me a lot! But, is there any way you could direct me to the kit you purchased? I found the parts individually, and I found a couple kits, but it's a little pricy individually, and I want to make sure the "kit" has the right parts in it?

Amazon.com: CHALLENGER SE S/E V6 FOG DRIVING LAMP LIGHTS INCL ALL NECESSARY PARTS MOPAR OEM: Automotive

This kit is the one I ordered and will be installing next week.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts

First, let me explain that I had already done this once, on our 2011 SE. My problem was 3 years later, needing to find out if it was still the same, the dealer's service manager insisted (after I bought the car) that it couldn't be done in a 2014. I found out he was wrong, and dealt with another dealer's service dept.

As I said, I didn't get a kit, originally I was going to let the dealer install it. So I told them to order the parts, they called me when they came in, but were too busy to install them. Since it was a Friday, and I scheduled an appointment for Wednesday, I went down to the dealership's part department, picked up the parts, and installed them myself that weekend. They activated them on that Wednesday.

Yes, the one you are showing looks like the right parts, to be absolutely sure, you would have to get the part numbers.

Just make sure you find a dealer around you that will give you a price on flashing your car to include fog lights. Some of them don't have a clue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As far as flashing our cars, is this required if our cars were already equipped with the foglight system but just don't have fog lights and want to put a set of it in?

·
Registered
828 Posts
As far as flashing our cars, is this required if our cars were already equipped with the foglight system but just don't have fog lights and want to put a set of it in?
Did someone remove the oem fog lights from your car??? If the car didn't come with them from the factory you will have to flash it in order for them to work. All the cars have the wiring already installed but it won't work without the flash and the new headlight switch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I doubt if you need to be flashed. It's simple, install the lights, if they turn on, you're good to go.
Roger that - I doubt it too.

Did someone remove the oem fog lights from your car??? If the car didn't come with them from the factory you will have to flash it in order for them to work. All the cars have the wiring already installed but it won't work without the flash and the new headlight switch.
The car was in a minor front-end accident that required a new (or used) front end bumper. I bought this from an auto auction so I don't know exactly what the previous owner did to fix this up. Reason why I asked because I saw the fog light symbol on the 'push' knob headlight control. I'm going to look for the fog lights wiring first, what color is it or how do I know if it's for fog lights?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I'm going to look for the fog lights wiring first, what color is it or how do I know if it's for fog lights?
When you open the front lower part of the wheel-well liner, right behind the fog light blanks in the lower fascia, there is a wire hanging there with a grey connector on the end. There is no other wiring there, so it's obviously for the fog light. Since your car was in an accident, who knows what they did in there when they put a new fascia on. All I can tell you is that in new sxt's the connector is left hanging there, within a few inches of the fog light blank filler. I don't remember the color of the wire, sorry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When you open the front lower part of the wheel-well liner, right behind the fog light blanks in the lower fascia, there is a wire hanging there with a grey connector on the end. There is no other wiring there, so it's obviously for the fog light. Since your car was in an accident, who knows what they did in there when they put a new fascia on. All I can tell you is that in new sxt's the connector is left hanging there, within a few inches of the fog light blank filler. I don't remember the color of the wire, sorry.
Okay good to know. Hopefully I'll be able to work on my Challenger sometime this weekend and look for it. Appreciate your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts