Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Challenger owners,

Just as the title says, in the last month or so my 2014 Challenger SXT has shut off right at start up upon foot on the brake with push button start. It starts up and revs for a second before shutting off.

Anybody know what this could be? I had a previous 2010 Challenger that had a faulty wireless ignition node at 9k miles -- could this be the same thing?

My current '14 has 49k miles and has followed all the routine maintenance schedule. Any and all insight/info is appreciated.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Could be a few things. Do you know anyone that can read codes for you? Does the 2014 have a code menu on the instrument cluster? May be a crank or cam sensor? A fuel pump ? I do believe there is a way to pull code manually.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be a few things. Do you know anyone that can read codes for you? Does the 2014 have a code menu on the instrument cluster? May be a crank or cam sensor? A fuel pump ? I do believe there is a way to pull code manually.
I don't know anyone that can read the codes off the car. I'll check in the morning. Plan on taking it in first thing in the morning to the dealership. If it is a powertrain issue I hope it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Pop out the start button and see if it will run with using the FOBIK. Could be a bad battery in the remote!
Good luck!

Tom.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hey fellow Challenger owners,

Just as the title says, in the last month or so my 2014 Challenger SXT has shut off right at start up upon foot on the brake with push button start. It starts up and revs for a second before shutting off.

Anybody know what this could be? I had a previous 2010 Challenger that had a faulty wireless ignition node at 9k miles -- could this be the same thing?

My current '14 has 49k miles and has followed all the routine maintenance schedule. Any and all insight/info is appreciated.

Just thought of something els. Try pushing the start button with the remote.
Worth a try.
Tom.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Pop out the start button and see if it will run with using the FOBIK. Could be a bad battery in the remote!
Good luck!

Tom.
My 2013 would flash on the display that my FOB battery was low. So I don't think that is the problem here. It sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue to me.

To the OP, is this an intermittent problem, or are you dead in the water now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2013 would flash on the display that my FOB battery was low. So I don't think that is the problem here. It sounds like a mechanical/electrical issue to me.

To the OP, is this an intermittent problem, or are you dead in the water now?
I've already changed the FOB battery with a new one. I took it in today and Crown Dodge in Ventura wouldn't even consider looking at it without a $140 diagnosis fee plus $35 for a rental. I thought since it was still under the powertrain warranty they'd at least look at it but the service rep didn't seem interested in helping me out. I mentioned since it was an intermittent issue if they weren't able to recreate it I'd be out on $140 for no good reason.

The rep did hook it up to pull some codes, I didn't get what they were but he said it pulled two codes in regards to the key... something about security codes not matching? Forgot to mention in my original post BTW that it is an intermittent issue at the moment. It's happened maybe 5 times in the last month and a half. It'll start, rev for a second, then sputter and give out. At that point I have to push the button to cycle back through to "OFF" and then start it again.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Do you have 2 keys? Swap them out and see what happens. I've seen the ign switches go bad also. Had to be reprogrammed after replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts