Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! With that said, I'd like to say greetings, I've been a long time forum stalker just now creating my account. Additionally, I'm in love with the Challenger but need some wisdom from the community on the right approach to my current conundrum.

I have a 2014 Challenger that's two months old and has been in the shop for a total of 18 days already. The big problem is despite the interior trim being replaced twice it keeps pulling down at the edges of the vehicle. Each time that this is done the windshield has to be replaced. The most recent repair of the headliner lasted for roughly 30 minutes when I noticed that it was falling on the passenger door side. I've been given a turnaround time of 3-4 days for Chrysler to approve the repair, 10 days for the replacement headliner to arrive, and 3 days for the install (they need to contract with an approved glass company). They also left a deep gauge on the roof of the poor Challenger during this last repair.

On top of that there is an issue with the discoloration of the interior trim that is supposed to be completely replaced and paint defects across the body of the car.

They put me in a '13 rental challenger while all this is going on which hasn't had any issues. Looking at the repair turnaround time of 20+ days that "might" fix the issues what do you think my best course of action is? Each time they repair the vehicle things seem to get beaten up and look worse. I love the Challenger, just without the issues of headliners on my head! :p

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Ouch. I would be pissed. Welcome

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd suspect you can't lemon law the vehicle as it isn't a safety defect, but state laws vary. I'd be happy to be having a free rental. Admittedly, I'd be upset about my not so new vehicle. Give them a chance to rectify the situation. Also, consider opening a case with Dodge, and maybe a goodwill offering like a new car or lifetime factory extended warranty will come your way. Most of all, be nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm realistically hoping for a new car due to the age of the current vehicle and the extent of the imperfections. That with the additional damage done each time the Challenger gets repaired. I find the whole deal with the headliner and the trim so bizarre.

With that said, canddmeyer you're absolutely right. I have a case number with Chrysler right now. I also have a great time chatting with the service agent and manager at the dealership because they're exceptionally nice people. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd suspect you can't lemon law the vehicle as it isn't a safety defect, but state laws vary. I'd be happy to be having a free rental. Admittedly, I'd be upset about my not so new vehicle. Give them a chance to rectify the situation. Also, consider opening a case with Dodge, and maybe a goodwill offering like a new car or lifetime factory extended warranty will come your way. Most of all, be nice.
Here in Ohio, it does not state it needs to be safety or other. It can be anything that keeps the car in the shop.

In the first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first:
• Have three or more attempts been made to repair one problem and then the problem either continues to exist or occurs again?
• Has the vehicle been in the shop for a cumulative total of 30 days or more during its first year or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first?
• Have eight or more attempts been made to fix different problems?
• Has one unsuccessful attempt been made to fix a problem that could cause death or serious injury?

You need to look up your states lemon laws. I would be demanding they pay my monthly payment at the very least or as he said, a lifetime factory. Mention the words BBB and State Attorney and you will get somewhere.

I love mopar and dodge as much as the next person and want to see them succeed but they need to step up and take care of the issues people are having on their vehicles if they want to compete with the big boys like Toyota. I have a brand new SRT and its in the shop now as we speak (second time). Love the car.. but its testing my patience as its my daily at the moment.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a similar problem with my new 2013 rt.

Headliner seems to be cut too short on each side by about a half inch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have an update today.

My case manager at Dodge has really stepped up and is offering the following:

-Paying for one month of the car.
-Calling the dealership to estimate the time of the repair and "make a decision based off of this information."
-A rental car for the duration of the repair.

Hopefully we'll see them take care of the problem. My fingers are crossed for a new vehicle. After driving a '13 Chally the difference is amazing in comparison to my poor vehicle.

All of this without prompting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE 2

Just as an update the dealership is supposedly working with Chrysler to do a trade in of the vehicle. From what I've been told is tomorrow the dealership will get a code and they'll be able to add the difference of what the trade in is.

They had me pick out a new one so I'm selecting a 100th Anniversary RT edition and I'm supposed to pay the difference. I'm a bit skeptical that they can authorize this within 24 hours but the GM of the dealership told the service manager over the phone that the repairs were due to factory defects.

Needless to say I'm going to keep everybody updated and let you know if they can authorize this as quick as they claim.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Subscribed, very interested as line has been in the shop for 42 days. Bought it 63 days ago. I have service giving me the run around and I have Chrysler involved. I speak to the gm in 4 days so we will see if he does the same.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright so the service manager who was supposed to provide the authorization was out on Friday. Chrysler has started to drag their feet.

On the plus side the general manager of the dealership is supposed to make a call to somebody high up and get this pushed through. This was because (and luckily) that the agent over the phone clearly outlined an expectation to the customer (me) on the resolution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

The dealership pretty much washed their hands of responsibility and said to talk to Chrysler. They're "trying to reach a local manager."

Chrysler pretty much said that their agent wasn't authorized to make the statements that he made to myself and to the dealers GSM, GM, and my sales rep. They said that they're not responsible for the employee and will "review proper procedure with him."

So it looks like I'm going to need to involve an attorney.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Chrysler's paint jobs are very subpar compared to a lot of the other manufacturers. I am surprised the dealer is not trying to help you out more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer was all about helping when Chrysler said they were taking care of the problem. But they claim the local Chrysler reps won't answer their calls. In turn they don't return my calls or bother answering what I need to do to get things rolling again.

Chrysler has now turned to hanging up on me and I had a service manager "100% promise to call" me back by the end of today, so naturally that never happened.

I'm almost at the point of just buying a new car and having a lemon lawyer go after them for all of this. Talk about games, misdirection, and everybody blaming one another, this is a very sad degree of service.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I traded my Challenger in, took a $4800 hit and stepped into an 100th Anniversary RT.

AN INTERESTING UPDATE:

I also found a razor blade in the new car and had my finger sliced by it. So apparently this whole ordeal has literally drawn blood from me. :p

The only problem is this complication now has a Chrysler special investigations person who's supposed to call me in regards to the blade. The dealership has apparently had other customers who've been hurt by blades and they need to "question me."

Break out the Gestapo squad!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts