Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to Dodge products so please pardon my ignorance. I thought that AWD Chargers with a Hemi were only available to Law Enforcement and not the general public. I saw a bright red one with a black side stripe at a Ford dealer today. It had 56k miles, a warranty from the dealer (or sourced) and the window tag said they wanted $21k and change. Didn't look like an ex-LE unit based on the dash and center console condition.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I'm fairly new to Dodge products so please pardon my ignorance. I thought that AWD Chargers with a Hemi were only available to Law Enforcement and not the general public. I saw a bright red one with a black side stripe at a Ford dealer today. It had 56k miles, a warranty from the dealer (or sourced) and the window tag said they wanted $21k and change. Didn't look like an ex-LE unit based on the dash and center console condition.
I am new to Mopar as well. Not that good on past models but I am pretty sure AWD is only available on V6 models currently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have a 2013 chrysler 300 AWD with the 5.7. Though it is a Chrysler, Dodge chargers are the same designs for this.
they stopped making the AWD models with the 5.7 in 2014. 2015+ its either a 5.7 RWD or the 3.6 v6 AWD.

i have some friends i follow on instagram who have chargers with the 5.7 and AWD, so i do not think it was based only for LE.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not true at all. I had a 2014 RT AWD, it was Torred.

They stopped making them in 2014 due to low demand.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
thats one beautiful car man. I wish they still made AWD v8s. That would so be my daily.
Yes, it's a shame a V8 and AWD is not offered. What a combo!

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I love my chrysler 300 with the 5.7 and AWD. Thing is unstoppable in the snow. I also have it tuned.
perfect winter driver for when i store my challenger 392.

will forever be my baby
View attachment 1020510
If I lived where it snowed, that would be my car! Fortunately (except in August :cry:), I live in the Deep South. So it's RWD Scat all the way!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not true at all. I had a 2014 RT AWD, it was Torred.

They stopped making them in 2014 due to low demand.
I believe it's also because the ZF8 doesn't fit with the AWD system on the Charger/Challenger. Only the old 5 speed auto. (Some new 5.7 cop chargers still come with AWD but with the old 5 speed as far as I know)

It works on the Trackhawk/Durago/TRX because of the space available.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe it's also because the ZF8 doesn't fit with the AWD system on the Charger/Challenger. Only the old 5 speed auto. (Some new 5.7 cop chargers still come with AWD but with the old 5 speed as far as I know)

It works on the Trackhawk/Durago/TRX because of the space available.
We have a winner. When the 2015 refresh took place there was a push to go to the torque flight A8 and it didn’t fit with the Hemi and AWD transfer case.

Demand for the Hemi AWD combo was so low that it didn’t warrant having another transmission just for that car and so it went away.

I picked up that 2014 in January with a $10,000 discount for RT AWD models in my area from Chrysler Capital, $5,000 in FCA rebates and $2,000 in dealer loyalty rebates. That was off of employee pricing which was 5% below dealer invoice on that model in particular.

That car sticker price was over $47,000.

My out the door price with tax was 29,867.

That was the capitalized cost for the lease which was also a special deal at the time. I was paying $325.43 a month for a 36 month, 36,000 mile lease with 0 down on that car.

It was an awesome ride.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We have a winner. When the 2015 refresh took place there was a push to go to the torque flight A8 and it didn’t fit with the Hemi and AWD transfer case.

Demand for the Hemi AWD combo was so low that it didn’t warrant having another transmission just for that car and so it went away.

I picked up that 2014 in January with a $10,000 discount for RT AWD models in my area from Chrysler Capital, $5,000 in FCA rebates and $2,000 in dealer loyalty rebates. That was off of employee pricing which was 5% below dealer invoice on that model in particular.

That car sticker price was over $47,000.

My out the door price with tax was 29,867.

That was the capitalized cost for the lease which was also a special deal at the time. I was paying $325.43 a month for a 36 month, 36,000 mile lease with 0 down on that car.

It was an awesome ride.
Wow, That's one of those deals where you'd say "that's too good to be true", but it wasn't. Congrats.

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWB Shaker A8
591 Posts
I had a 2014 AWD Charger R/T. Great car all around, amazing in the snow. They stopped putting AWD behind V8s in 2015 or 2016. My dealer said they were only selling them in a few states so they were discontinued. Do not know if they are still available to law enforcement but probably not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
2021 Charger and Durango Pursuit come with the A8 now

A Guy

·
Registered
16,218 Posts
They initially made that announcement last year but it didn't happen, finally for 2021 it did.

So finally the old 5-speed is dead and all Pursuits now have the A8.

But it's good news bad news as the Pursuits now all follow the same civilian platform and you either get a V6/A8/AWD or a Hemi/A8/RWD and that's it. There is no Hemi/AWD Pursuit as before so looks like a Hemi/A8/AWD will continue to be a dream.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts